Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 3.0.9 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

Videos should be appropriate for all audiences. Please keep all criticism constructive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:55 am 
Adept
Adept

My wife does nonprofit work, and I shoot videos for her various events. This was a service event where a bunch of students packed vegetable seeds to donate to central PA charities. Normally I would shoot on a Panasonic GH4 or a ZV-1 with a tripod and fluid head, but on this particular event, there was supposed to be a guy from the school shooting pics and video, so I didn’t bring my regular gear. He showed up, took a couple of pics, then left, so I ended up shooting with my new iPhone 13 Pro Max, handheld. Since the phone is so new, I accidentally shot most of it at 1920 x 1440 square resolution. That was because I had it in photo mode and was long pressing the volume down button to shoot video. I just cropped the top and bottoms, and in a couple of places I key framed in tilts as I edited. The point being that it would have looked even better in the proper video 4K mode. None-the-less, it still looks very good. I transferred the footage to my iPad Pro using a thumb drive with lightning and USB C connectors. Anyway, here is the video. I am amazed at the quality of this phone’s cameras!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:21 am 
Adept
Adept

Very nice images. 8-)

Shooting in a taller format to reframe later is one of my life-hacks! I often shoot in 4:3 and adjust later on the timeline.

You might even miss this extra adjustability if you start to shoot wide for the next project!

In fact, when I shoot 360, I find myself choosing to reframe my footage in 4:3 instead of wide. The reason being that I can centre the horizon, keeping the image from looking so distorted. Then when it's on the timeline I can move the horizon level up or down for a nicer composition.

Windows laptop for emergencies

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:58 pm 
Adept
Adept

I did make use of the square framing: both to capture stills and to do some keyframed tilts. I uprezzed the 1920x1440 still snapshots to 4 megapixel with Pixelmator Photo, which is a wonderful RAW and regular photo editor for anyone looking for one. The healing function of that app is particularly good.

There were a couple of clips that I used that were actually just the tiny videos that iPhones shoots automatically when you shoot a “Live Photo”. I always thought that this was a silly feature, but they turned out to be handy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:30 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

That’s a very very nice smooth video. Well done. The only thing I’d say is I’d feel more into it if it had audio from the scenes, not just music.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:45 pm 
Adept
Adept

There really wasn’t any good audio to capture: just loud gymnasium noise.

I did order a SmallRig iPhone cage though, so that I can mount a directional mic on it in the future when there might be audio worthy of capture.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:36 am 
Adept
Adept

I have a couple of Rode Video Micros and a pair of Rode Wireless Go mics. The wireless ones are Ok to hide inside a jacket or clipped inside a buttoned shirt. Even discreetly placed near the talent on a surface. The battery time is a good few hours.

The official cable to attach either to a phone is overpriced and you still need a dongle.

Windows laptop for emergencies

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:02 am 
Adept
Adept

I have two InstaMic Pro Plus wireless mics on order. This should avoid having a wireless receiver on the rigged iPhone since it uses a combination of bluetooth and internal recording.

For a mounted mic I am planning on using a Shure MV88+ that I already have. That will avoid the dongle and give me the choice of several pickup patterns.

We’ll see. I imagine it will take some experimentation before I get it right.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:25 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

:D Not quite what you want but I was inspired to write a separate post on recording audio with the Apple Watch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:37 am 
Master
Master

Please can you post a link for the "thumb drive with lightning and USB C connector"
Interesting video very smooth the phone retains stable image as you walk through the doors.

Do some more if you can I be interested.

thank you

Regards Rob

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:45 pm 
Adept
Adept

This is the flash drive:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-2 ... lsrc=aw.ds

I used the iPhone stabilization plus a little help from the new LumaFusion stabilization. It was almost there out of the camera. I was surprised at how smooth it came out.