Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 12:51 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.4.4 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

Videos should be appropriate for all audiences. Please keep all criticism constructive.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:30 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Q0u6U8 ... QJSjymv3AA

This "practice" video of mountain biking with 360 capture was shot with the Insta 360 X2 while I was running across a local forest mountain biking area. The camera is very small and the 360 format means you don't have to worry too much about aiming the camera precisely for moving subjects. You don't really need the selfie stick but I did use it for quick ground level and elevated shots.

The clips were all later edited and recomposed into conventional linear or modestly wide angle shots in the Insta app. It's a bit painful and sadly there's no step by step undo but with practice you can fairly quickly pan or track subjects and even add some zoom. There are also all sorts of social media effects which I rarely use. The Insta app outputs to camera roll.

In LumaFusion I used my standard template video which has clips of about 2 secs with a very slight zoom in and my standard opening and closing titles. I dropped the new shots onto the template clips using Replace Keep Length.
Then I added some YouTube music and spliced it to keep the beginning and ending with a hopefully unnoticeable transition at a clip junction in the middle.

I adjusted the trim of a few clips to match the action or the music, mostly in overwrite mode to avoid changing the overall length. The Insta app occasionally produces a slight but disconcerting rotation across clips so I corrected this with key frames when necessary. I also modified the colours of a few clips to avoid glaring changes from one to the next. Normally I would spend a long time moving audio around for contiguous sound but there was little or no ambient audio to worry about in this project.

Editing in the Insta app took almost an hour and after that the subsequent LumaFusion editing seemed to be much quicker. It probably wasn't actually quicker but it's certainly a better experience. To be fair the Insta app is dealing with raw 5K 360 clips.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good work Mark

Thanks for the explanation too

I was impressed how steady it was

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks Dave. Yes it stabilises really well and the Insta app does some amazing things even if it requires 10 taps more than it should. You can even buy a 3m long selfie stick for aerial shots. Probably more scary than a drone!
Hope things are improving in Blighty. We’ve all forgotten how easy things are here in NZ which makes me nervous.