Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:11 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 3.0.9 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:53 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

(I wrote this for our walking group so it’s not very technical but you might get some tips. I often video our walks which are usually in beautiful countryside.)

Wilma asked how long it took to edit a video. I smugly said an hour or two but that’s probably not right. I could, but usually I take my time. I use a video editing app on my iPad and can pick it up anytime. First I dump a 2 second part of every shot into the video project. Then I sort them a bit to keep the subject consistent. I’ve typically got up to 100 short clips giving a total of maybe 10 minutes and I’m aiming to shorten the whole thing to 2-3 minutes.

A really special thing on our walks is a talk by someone about the area or some information from Frank. Thank you so much people. It's a wonderful thing to include in a video but it's also the hardest thing because I’m only using one camera with no other microphone. I try to record the whole talk and have to loiter close to the speaker. Missing the first sentence makes the whole thing useless so I have to be really good at anticipating it! The other big problem is wind because even slight wind noise makes a recording horrible and for some reason people like to make announcements in exposed places!

For these impromptu talks I have to capture some views of the speaker, and the audience and maybe the scene, all in the same shot, but a lot of it is just audio with the camera pointing anonymously downwards. People tend to glare at me if I keep pointing the camera at them! The resulting footage is a mess and I have to take liberties when editing - simplifying it quite a lot, trying to make the visuals and the audio match and editing out camera movements, the speaker’s pauses and stutters, and the windy bits!

After sorting out any talks I choose some music and shorten it to the length of my video. I usually get fairly neutral royalty free instrumental music from YouTube. I cut it in the middle somewhere so that I can keep the proper beginning and ending without a lazy fade in/out. It’s quite tricky making music join smoothly at the right length. I hope you like my choices and I haven’t offended Brahms, Beethoven and various artists by cutting up their music.

The next step is to prune and shorten the video clips down to match the overall music/video length. It hurts to throw out some scenes but it has to be done. Nobody wants a long boring video. Then I adjust sound levels for every clip to match its neighbour’s (sound levels vary hugely depending on how far away the subject was). I often have to replace or shift the audio around to get rid of odd noises (and disjointed chatter) and it’s good to extend audio across neighbouring clips for continuity.

Sound is an important part of our experience and memories. This is partly why I prefer video to still photography. Sometimes though it’s easier in video to use imported sound effects of say a stream. Faking sound effects is common in moviemaking, but usually I can use ambient sound from another clip if the current one looks good but sounds bad. It's also important that the music doesn't drown out someone speaking or the ambient sound of the scenes so it has to be adjusted accordingly. This is called "ducking"! If I had to choose between them I'd leave the music off altogether in favour of the real life sound and some of my videos have no music at all because there's a lot of interesting real audio.

The last thing is to go through and try to adjust and match the colour and lighting in adjacent clips. Otherwise sunlit scenes and shots in shadow look glaringly different in a video. Another thing to deal with is that although forest and bush in sunlight is wonderful to the eye cameras can’t cope with the huge range of brightness. I can compensate a bit for this but never completely. More expensive gear would help but really I need to use just a phone or small camera that I can quickly pull out of my pocket. By the way my camera is an Osmo Action, similar to a GoPro, designed mainly for people to strap to their helmets biking etc but it works well for my purposes.

All done? Not quite. I add a title and some simple credits, and then at last, after checking for mistakes about fifty times, I’m free to tap the publish button (going through just a few dozen options to select) and then I can go fight with YouTube settings. YouTube (like all social media) is adept at giving an illusion of simplicity that soon leads you into a rabbit hole of complexity and disguised opportunities for data harvesting and marketing.

So this has maybe given you some idea of how I make videos. In fact I simplify things by using a pre-made template in the editing app and I have a good routine so I enjoy doing it. The resulting video is like an artwork though - sometimes it comes together magically, and sometimes it just doesn’t. You quickly learn to not be a perfectionist. I’m fortunate that like all my videos our walk videos are relatively simple real life videos and they are best kept short and honest, without any need for the flashy effects used to get attention on social media and YouTube.

And there you go. Congratulations if you read this right through!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:25 am 
Novice
Novice

Excellent! Thank you for that…

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Mark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:42 am 
Adept
Adept

I wouldn't have read through the whole post were it not for you (Mark) being the author. Your contributions to this forum are excellent (as is this post) - it deserved my attention.

Kudos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:32 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Quote:
I wouldn't have read through the whole post were it not for you (Mark) being the author. Your contributions to this forum are excellent (as is this post) - it deserved my attention.
Kudos
Awwr. That’s quite made my day! Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well said BarkinMadd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:34 am 
Adept
Adept

Thank you Mark! That was an insightful view of the challenges of your workflow. In a way, at least for me, part of the fun of editing is overcoming those challenges and fulfill my vision (or a compromise of it).
The post was worth its length so, in a less serious note, here is how I made it to the end:
1) Select the whole text
2) Tap on Speak
3) Listen while walking your dog.

Thank you for sharing.
MVE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:57 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

:D