Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:04 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 3.0.8 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

Post subject: Nudging a clip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:52 pm 

Is there a way to nudge a clip left or right along the timeline? FCP has such a facility and I found it useful when sync'ing using the audio waveform to be able to nudge a frame at a time to get things just right.

Our interviews use a Canon camera on the interviewer and so we have to stop and start recording every 20 minutes although I usually do it soon after the interviewer has made his comments. So we have no clap or clapper board to sync against, only the audio.

bobj

Post subject: Re: Nudging a clip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

I hope I understand you right. You can't move the clip along the wave of your external audio, right?

Select the clip and on the bottom you see a "link"-symbol. You have to unlink the clip from the audio clip. After unlinking the clip, you can move it freely around.

Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:21 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Probably it’s best to zoom right in on the timeline (expand it) which avoids movements jumping to the nearest clip end.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:11 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think the OP means, and I've been thinking about asking the same, is: is there a nudge key shortcut to move either a video or an audio clip left or right one frame at a time, much like doing it on the preview screen with the apple pencil by tap and drag to each side, but on the timeline itself. Zooming all the way in works, but simply tapping something like Globe + Left Arrow or Right Arrow would be much faster. Can it be done? Or can it be added to the wish list for next version?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:02 pm 

Exactly, martinocando. I am looking for such a shortcut. FCP has it and I use it a lot to sync audio correctly. I know I can move the clip by click-and-drag but that its too coarse for frame level sync'ing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

See Mark's advice above and although there's no 'nudge' button you can then move video and audio by 1 frame

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:06 am 
Adept
Adept

Being able to nudge the whole clip left/right on the timeline would be useful (and is a staple in most NLEs so it's not as if this is an unusual request). Maybe in a future release?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I agree and I'm pretty sure it's on the 'ToDo' list

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:59 am 

Related to this: is there any way to edit audio in a sub-frame level? Maybe up to the sample level?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:29 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

being able to slip audio freely without snapping to a frame would be super useful for external audio.

For on set syncing, a hand clap or "dog clicker" are good for visually syncing audio - a little intrusive when I'm recording, so I often wing it. Occasionally, it's a case of getting the audio as close as I can and then watching to see which looks more natural - slightly early, or slightly late. Do I understand correctly that your audio is a single continuous take and that the video clips are in 20 minute sections. If you are looking to nudge video without trimming , then adding a 'blank clip' between clips and adjusting the size of that to move the footage back in time might work for you. Tap (+) at the bottom of the screen to add a blank clip.

OR, if you want full control over when you place things on the timeline, add a blank clip for the duration of the project and move all your footage freely on top of that.

I wonder if the future multi-cam edit paid option will sync external audio as well as footage from different cameras.

Windows laptop for emergencies