Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:13 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 3.0.8 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

My story.

My history with video comes back to the early 90s, with Sony camcorders and the sort. So not much editing to do, unless you had very specialized (and expensive) equipment. Besides, video never caught my interest as much as photography. I'm much more a photographer than a videographer. Fast forward to 2014, I discovered wet shaving, and decided to put together a YouTube channel. I started with my iPhone, and since I had an Adobe Cloud license from work, my first video editing was in Premiere. Pretty complex piece of software with a steep learning curve, although I managed to handle the basics. A couple years ago, my employer decided to cut my license, so I started researching on cheaper (or free) software, so I moved to Davinci Resolve and discovered that in some instances it was even faster and easier than Premiere, so I switched with not much learning to do. A few YouTube tutorials, and I was editing like a pro. Well, like an amateur, really. By then I started my 2nd youtube channel about wrist watches.
Using an iPad to unload my personal and creative tasks is a thing that has been on my mind since early 2020, when I purchase my first iPad. Sadly I discovered that for transferring big video or photos, I needed an USB-C connection, so my original iPad, and later my iPad Air 2 didn't make the cut. So my wife inherited my iPad, and my iPad Air remained for watching videos a few times a week. Nothing more.

I've been a photographer for a good portion of my life, and since the Digital era I rarely cared for video features on a camera. Today I use Lumix cameras, a G9 and a GX9, and I use video more than anything. Still haven't been able to do much grading as the shooting profiles and the whole process is a bit over my head, but I do some basic color correction when needed.

Fast forward to April 2021, I decided to give the iPad another go, so I sold my Air and bought the 2020 Air, and then things started to change. At that time I discovered LumaFusion, and realized that I could edit an entire video on my iPad, and I could also edit photos with Lightroom. Not as easy to handle huge catalogs, but for a day's worth of shooting it was more than adequate.

I have upgraded from the Air a few times already, seeking more storage and speed. First I moved to an 2020 11 inch pro, then stepped up to the 12.9, seeking a larger canvas. My eyes are not what they used to be, and really appreciate the extra screen real state. My latest upgrade arrives tomorrow, a 2021 M1 iPad Pro 12.9 with 256GB of storage. I think it'll serve me well for at least a couple years or more.

My 2019 16inch Intel MacBook Pro with 32GB of ram and 2TB of flash storage is staying at my desk at work, and I only commute with my iPad. I can do everything I did with the Mac at home, I'm traveling way lighter and smaller, and is so much more fun to use the iPad than the Mac.

One last funny story. I had to use my Mac last weekend at home, and after typing some email, I started tapping the send button on the screen, when I realized I was on the Mac instead of the iPad. Now the Mac screen is all smudgy with fingerprints LOL.

So, I now edit all my videos for my YouTube channels (Opening a 3rd channel soon) on the iPad with LumaFusion. The interaction with the Apple Pencil makes it a whole new experience. Is so much faster and precise than using the mouse and keyboard that my editing time was cut in half. Or less. And you know what? Up until know I was shooting 1080p exclusively. Since I started LumaFusion, I switched to 4K and it doesn't even breaks a sweat. I tried on my Mac, and it was not worth the effort.

Yeah, that's my story. I'm sold to the iPad, and I just got a Mac mini just to have a Mac at home and will use it for file and print sharing. Next time my employer upgrades my computer, I'll ask for the smallest Mac there is because there is no point in having a monster of a Laptop with the new technologies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:58 am 

Why did you choose LumaFusion?
The workflow and cost. LumaFusion is the most expensive iOS app I've bought and it has been worth every penny. I edit all my videos on my iPad and iPhone. It is much more mobile and easy to use than the other editing apps.super easy to go to youtube in the export

What awesome videos are you making with LF?
Making family videos for family channel and I have personal channel with videos that interest me.

Meldrum Makerspace
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-HmW_ ... bF2FTPyuJg
Making Bread Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPt5WW97dXI

What got you into video editing and what is your story?
I have always enjoyed movies and filming home videos and things of that nature and editing on iPhone and iPad makes it so much easier. Plus, not being tried to a desktop helps tons.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:38 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Good to see this thread springing to life. It’s really interesting to know what ordinary users do with LumaFusion. Don’t be put off. It’s not all about making professional and YouTube videos. Your simple hobby, activity and family videos will be the ones you treasure in the future. Word of advice for these: keep them real, avoid effects! :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:23 pm 
Novice
Novice

My background: have been editing on NLEs since 1996... back when footage was digitised at PAL or often half-PAL resolution off an S-VHS camcorder or VHS deck in real time through a very expensive PCI card. From there I've been through the first iterations of mini DV tape, Firewire and iMovie, several versions of Final Cut Pro, the first consumer Sony HDV cameras and the joys of authoring to DVD.

LumaFusion won me over as a fan due to it finding that oh-so-rare middle ground between the simplified, good-result-but-no-control-or-flexibility ideology of iMovie and its many imitators, and full blown NLEs that can do everything and the complexity that invariably goes with such applications.

The key to its success is simply this: it provides all the necessary editing tools and functions required to have proper, accurate control over the editing process, without trying to do 'too much'.

It both embraces the advantages of iOS's touch interface whilst being acutely aware of its limitations, and thus doesn't overwhelm the interface or the app with too many features that cannot be appropriately accommodated. It's a lean and mean, basic but professional editor.

I taught my girlfriend how to video edit using LumaFusion. Unlike me, she didn't have 20 years' prior experience in digital media, and wouldn't describe herself as particularly tech-savvy let alone familiar with the nuts and bolts of video production. Yet within a few days she was comfortably chopping up video clips and within a couple of weeks was producing YouTube-ready exports ready for upload. I think that speaks volumes as to how well LumaFusion works.

Its other advantage is the iOS/iPad platform itself. For me, being able to AirDrop over 4K H.265 video files straight off my iPhone and start cutting together without nary a dropped frame whilst out hiking, being away from home or even travelling in a car or bus is a huge time advantage. Doing a first rough cut while relaxing on the couch rather than being strapped to a desk is a joy.

Things have recently changed with my intended video work in the past few months, and along with it I've decided to add DaVinci Resolve Studio to the mix, in part to use the Speed Editor to see if I can literally speed up my editing process for certain types of videos (lots of cuts and not much else), and in part to improve my post graphics and effects with Fusion. Despite my previous experiences with Final Cut and Premiere, Resolve is again, a huge learning curve and a reminder of just how easy and straightforward LumaFusion is. It can't do everything, but for the basics it is just wonderfully efficient and lean.

I still see LumaFusion as a part of my overall workflow, especially as a super-portable, super convenient cut interface where rough edits can be completed away from the desktop, before XML-exporting over to the desktop NLE for further polishing and additional work.

Ironically enough, with the recent V3 update and upcoming feature packs a considerable number of more advanced features (multi cam sync editing, audio units, warp stabilisation) that might have forced some use cases towards a desktop NLE will now be covered within LumaFusion itself. The app won't and can never be all things to all people, but by golly it covers a lot of ground for most users :-)

Whenever I hear "there aren't any pro apps for iPad", I just roll my eyes...

Cheers, Ben.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:14 am 
Master
Master

Hello headwerkn,

Very nicely written and explained.
A few ideas that maybe help you.
If you use a wireless keyboard with the IPP.
Using shorts cuts in LF will speed up a lot more and you can sit back from the screen.

Re Mac mini (18watts) you can send and back up from IPP to Mini.
And also use the Mini as a file storage to access pics files and videos inside the LF.

I not actually done that part.
However I do with WiFi drives.

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:17 am 
Master
Master

Screen from phone.
Think it looks the same on IPP.

Attachments:
E6A0A807-27EC-4E73-A35E-C6BBEAAB1B69.png
E6A0A807-27EC-4E73-A35E-C6BBEAAB1B69.png [ 811.25 KiB | Viewed 324 times ]

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
Hello headwerkn,
Very nicely written and explained.
A few ideas that maybe help you. [snip]
Thanks Rob. I have occasionally used a keyboard with LumaFusion - particularly useful when doing titles - but as I mentioned in my original post, usually prefer to work with LM with an Apple Pencil, relaxing on the couch or in a non-sitting-at-a-desk position.

I find I can bang through my clips and set rough in/out points relatively fast in this manner and the process is totally intuitive, but have been attracted specifically by Resolve's Cut page and hardware Speed Editor, particularly for chopping up long single take talking head clips. The Source Tape function is also great for blasting through the 50-200 clips I tend to generate each hiking trip and grabbing bits and pieces in a less-than-linear fashion, as I sometimes tend to do in order to make the story/dialogue work.

Of course we're talking an AU$475 piece of dedicated controller hardware with AU$475 software (the current deal where you get a free Studio license with the Speed Editor is a bargain though) versus AU$50 software, so far from a fair, direct comparison ;-) LumaFusion does so much for so little... getting these little extra percentages of efficiency and capability require significantly more investment, both in terms of money and time learning.

I do have LumaFusion installed on my M1 Mac Mini and it's definitely an asset for exporting out projects faster (and without crashing) than my now four-year old iPad 6th gen. External file transfer/backup is also rather slow on a non-iPad Pro versus the M1 Mac, so that's another advantage to be had.

With a H.264/265 workflow LumaFusion is really great - it handles both iPhone 4K footage and exported/reframed Insta360 files without issue. As you'd expect the M1 Mac is equally at home thanks to its hardware H.264/265 acceleration. Conversely, I have an i7 Windows laptop that chokes badly on the same footage.

Beyond MP4/H.26x footage though the limitations of the iOS/iPadOS platform definitely show, as many people have long complained. Certain codecs out my Panasonic cameras require transcoding on another system first to be usable on an iPad which is both an annoyance and the extra time burned. I plan on adding an Olympus EM1mk3 and BM4KPCC to my stable in the next 12 months... obviously wanting to use BRAW is a strong motivating factor towards Resolve. It would be great to see both BRAW and ProRes support in LumaFusion but as the LM crew have stated many times before, Apple need to support it within iPadOS first. Maybe it'll happen.

Personally I see LumaFusion as highly complimentary to those users who do legitimately do need the power and capability of a full blown desktop NLE. While I see myself using it more as a starting point going into the future, I have done the reverse in the past... using Premiere to do audio syncing and multicam editing of clips which were then exported out and transferred over to LumaFusion for final editing and finishing - the latter just being easier and more stable. Ironically, with the upcoming updates, one won't even need Premiere to comfortably work with multi camera shoot and external audio recorder file now.

Cheers, Ben.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:30 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I used to be in a Hip Hop band going back to the 90s and 00s and was an early adopter of 'in the box' PC recording for audio. Later on, I ended up being the band's video creator. I ended up quitting music at the beginning of the 2010s, but the video stayed on as a hobby.

I started a YouTube channel in 2017 (search for Mevi), converting a van to travel and live in. I swapped from using Premiére Pro on a PC to editing on my android phone when I moved into the van full-time. Kinemaster. The OLED screen on my phone has the Kinemaster UI permanently burned into it!! I was making some epic videos and the channel is well liked with a great supportive following, but that app is more toy-like than I wanted. A lot of fun to make videos with on the go, but the app was holding me back.

End of 2019, I bought a 2020 iPad Pro purely to use Lumafusion. That's still it's main use, aside from editing thumbnails in Affinity.

I was drawn in by the UI, features and the fact that projects can be backed up and restored!! There are still some things that irk me with the audio side, but I really enjoy being able to TOUCH the video clips - it feels like I'm crafting a video with my hands. It's organic.

Windows laptop for emergencies

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:19 am 
Master
Master

Hi Mevi,
Organic a nice way to express the feeling.
I agree more interactive sensation.

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

I’ve been in China for nearly 20 years working in education, creating multimedia content since 2010, which was flash based until Apple killed that and when the ipad 2 came out with a camera, moved to sharing digital media like videos and ebooks on the rising apps like wechat, weibo and douying (TikTok)…. I’ve been following the team behind LF back when they weren’t LF yet, watching the integration of education with ipads grow along with the technology… I refused to go back to computer editing and challenged myself to figure out workarounds, year after year, while still using my ipad and LF exclusively for editing… my projects consist of children’s content, adding music I make also with the ipad, things that I draw myself on the ipad to layer in LF or graphic designs I make on the ipad to add to LF and also animation that later gets sent to LF for final editing. The ipad is a wonderful tool, I make all my money from what I create on my ipad and LF is one of the most used apps that brings all my creations together!

I love it man and I love this team.