Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:01 am

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.4.4 is now available in the App Store

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:32 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

It’s hard to get good smooth pans hand holding your phone but I’ve been trying a new method for landscape shots which seems to help (no moving subjects).

Shoot in 4K 60 fps.
Pan relatively quickly, say 2 seconds for a 4 second clip.
In LumaFusion slow the clip to 1/2 speed
Publish at 30 fps

Counterintuitively it seems that panning movements with your hands/body tend to be more jerky at slower speeds.

Extra refinements
If you have extra footage it pays to use the slip tool if you can to avoid any obvious jerks.
I can also export the slowed clip at 30 fps to DeShake which can add a further degree of smoothness
(Copy and paste to a separate project to export a single clip)
With 4K clips for a 1080 project you can also pan by zooming to 200% and key framing a pan
(but this does reduce the wide angle view)

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:57 am 

Hi Mark,
Good info. I do this with both 60p and 120p via HD. But I learned recently that while my camera equipment can now record 4K (60 and 120p), my 2nd gen iPad cannot work with this. It WILL work with 4K 30p, but that’s the highest quality.
Also, my assumption is the newest M1 iPad Pro would at most go to 4K 60p. Can anyone confirm?
If so, it’s unfortunate as I can also record 8k which I assume would not work. Not that I would export, I would still publish lower, but it gives you more options for zooming, slowing things down, Deshake, etc.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:05 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks for that Mike. Sooner or later I’m going to have to upgrade. Actually I noticed the iPhone 12 I borrowed had way smoother panning than my iPhone X. DeShake seems better than Emulso for panning but I’m also hoping the coming stabilisation feature in LumaFusion will help too.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:14 pm 

I agree. I’ve tried both and I like Deshake better.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:45 am 

I guess I’m getting off subject, but did learn something that counters my above comment.
While my current 2nd gen iPad cannot download above what it can video (yes to 4K 30p, but no to 4K 60p),
I did learn I can load those higher rate and quality files into Dropbox and then import them into luma fusion to then edit as needed. So I can now use 4K 120p files (awesome quality and smooth panning or slow motion) or even 8k 30p (awesome detail and great for zooming/cropping), to then downgrade the complete video made after working on the individual clips.
But it can get choppy and slow due to memory and the processor. I guess the new IPad M1 processor is in my future.