Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:25 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.0 is now available in the App Store. This is a massive new update that doubles the number of tracks for video and audio, streamlines the user interface, and much more.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:41 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm having trouble understanding how the new "cached media" functionality in LumaFusion 2.0 works.

I work with all of my media in the Photos app on a 256GB iPad Pro 10.5". I'm running iOS 12.3.1 and LF 2.0.2.

I did some housekeeping in LumaFusion today. I deleted some old projects that I no longer need. Then, I went in to Settings/Cleanup, toggled on to remove the unused Cached Media and pressed the broom button to cleanup. LF says that I cleaned up ~ 42GB of data. Yay me!! When I go into Settings on the iPad, and then iPad Storage, I can see that the usage of LF has gone down...it was previously 60+ GB, and now it's down to 24 GB. Things are looking good. BUT, my overall storage usage didn't budge. I'm still up against the ceiling at about 252 GB. So, I guess my question is two-fold....1). Is there a step that I'm missing? Is there something else that I need to do to free up that storage? In the old version of LF, you had to go into the Files App, Recently Deleted, and empty that folder to actually free up the storage, but my Recently Deleted folder in Files is empty. I've tried rebooting the iPad a couple of times, but that doesn't help.

Or, is something else going on? The unused Cached Media that I deleted from within the LF app still resides in the Photos App. That's the way it's supposed to work. But how does the media usage get calculated? Is there actually a second copy of the media stored in LF, (hence the bloated size of my LF app), or is it only "counted" once and therefore needs to be deleted from both the LF app and the Photos app before the storage space is released for use?

I've scoured the LF 2.0 User Manual, but can't find anything that explains how this actually works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:49 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Cappy Lee gave the explanation from the manual in post #2 here

http://www.forums.luma-touch.com/viewto ... a7d08a3d91

Also, if you use iCloud for storage (I do) it can take up to 40 days (according to Apple) for the files to be 'actually' deleted and I think that's what you're still seeing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:59 pm 
Expert
Expert

LumaFusion stores files in IOS’s open file system called iCloud Drive (even if you don’t use iCloud!) . Note that these files are not uploading to iCloud. They are in the On My Device part of iCloud Drive. The files can be accessed in LumaFusion and in the Files app.
Any deleted files in iCloud Drive are moved to the Deleted folder. They won’t show anymore in LumaFusion or be counted in its usage. But they still exist in the Deleted folder in iCloud Drive and will count in your device usage. Generally you don’t have to worry about this because deleted files are automatically removed after 30 days or when your device needs more storage. You can manually (but don’t have to ) empty the Deleted files folder in the Files app to make your device storage figure better.
It will often protest that a seemingly random old file cannot be deleted because it doesn’t exist! Just ignore that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:13 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks Mark - hopefully ios13 might fix some of that?!?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:10 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks guys for your responses above. What I've concluded (based on CappyLee's embedded excerpt from the User Manual) is that by deleting 42 GB worth of projects and then cleaning up the associated Unused Cached Media and sweeping it away, my iPad should now have 42GB of space freed for use.... or at least 42GB of media sitting in the Files>Recently Deleted Files area of On My IPad. But that's not the case. The Recently Deleted folder is empty and I'm still showing 250 of 256GB used. Now, maybe the iPad is going to magically manage that for me and allow me to use my recently freed up 42 GB of space as demand for that space emerges, but then what is the point of the IPad Storage graph if it doesn't show me a true representation of the storage situation on my device?

I should probably mention that I do not use iCloud Photos. I live and travel full time in a motorhome, so I never know when or where my next high speed internet connection is going to come, so I manage all of my photos and videos locally on my device and on my own local media. That's one of the reasons I opted for the 256GB iPad.

I still feel like there’s a step that I’m missing to actually free up the space.

Any additional thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:26 am 

Hi Guys,

I too have been struggling to clean up data used by Luma Fusion.
I have spent a long time exploring how LF manages user media and I think I understand it now, but I still have problems using the cleanup function. Whenever I try and clean up the unused cache media and all cached media I sometimes end up with different values even though the application reports that it had cleaned the data up. I think I read somewhere on one of the threads that the clean up function was not working properly and would be fixed in 2.02. I am on the latest build so maybe it’s not been implemented yet.

For info, I don’t used iCloud storage either and my deleted folder is empty.

Glenn.