Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:58 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 3.0.9 is now available in the App Store

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:44 pm 

Hi everyone, I bought a 9th generation basic iPad to edit the videos I shoot with the GoPro, unfortunately I assumed that you could work on external SSDs, but I discovered that it is not possible and not only, it is also a novelty, very strange thing for me coming from android. Anyway, now I have the problem that I can't return the iPad anymore, so I have to find a solution, because I have videos that exceed 115Gb of memory and my iPad is "only" 128Gb. Now I understand that shit lightning is limited and does not allow enough data transfer to work in real time, but you could allow basic operations, such as splitting a clip in two, so one could have smaller files to work on without problems. on an iPad like mine. Wouldn't it be feasible to add such a feature? Maybe with a disclaimer that appears every time, to warn the user that they can't do everything, etc.
Or maybe you have other solutions for my problem? Do you know of any other apps that allow me to do such a thing?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:38 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
Hi everyone, I bought a 9th generation basic iPad to edit the videos I shoot with the GoPro, unfortunately I assumed that you could work on external SSDs, but I discovered that it is not possible and not only, it is also a novelty, very strange thing for me coming from android. Anyway, now I have the problem that I can't return the iPad anymore, so I have to find a solution, because I have videos that exceed 115Gb of memory and my iPad is "only" 128Gb. Now I understand that shit lightning is limited and does not allow enough data transfer to work in real time, but you could allow basic operations, such as splitting a clip in two, so one could have smaller files to work on without problems. on an iPad like mine. Wouldn't it be feasible to add such a feature? Maybe with a disclaimer that appears every time, to warn the user that they can't do everything, etc.
Or maybe you have other solutions for my problem? Do you know of any other apps that allow me to do such a thing?
Unfortunately, you are totally out of luck. For any app that can utilise external media, accessing media files in real-time is all but impossible unless you’re using very low bit rates. Also, general backing up, loading, copying, transferring of files etc. Is going to be like watching paint dry. Splitting files etc. Doesn’t get you around the fundamental problem here, lightning is simply useless and is about 20 years out of date.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:11 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes you’ve got some gear issues there. Lightning is fine for everyday purposes but you need an iPad Pro to use a SSD. Do you have to record continuously with your GoPro and probably discarding most of it? Can you cut the video on the GoPro itself?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:16 am 
Adept
Adept

FFMpeg comes to the rescue again!! It's a command line utility for Windows, Mac & Linux.
https://www.ffmpeg.org/
Code:
ffmpeg -ss 00:00:01 -i original.mp4 -to 00:05:00 -c:v copy -c:a copy trimmed.mp4
So you know what the syntax is:

-ss is the start time
-to is the end time

This is a lossless copy, no transcoding
-c:v copy

Windows laptop for emergencies

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:12 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I got aware of that fact after I bought my 2019 iPad Air. The 2020 with usb-c was recently released at that time, but I couldn't afford it, so went for the 2019. I tried for a while using a powered USB hub, and I was able to read SSD drives, but the transfer speeds are glacially slow. It wasn't until I upgraded earlier this year to the Air 2020 that I was able to fully take advantage of SSD technology.

Why don't you sell your iPad and get a 256GB 2020 Air? Hey, even an iPad mini will be more than enough. And now with LumaFusion you can edit videos directly from the external drive, so internal storage is not that big of an issue as it used to be. Still, for the file size you are handling, I'd suggest you get the 256 model. I don't edit such big video files.

Nowadays I use a 256GB 12.9 M1 iPad Pro as my main machine, and do most of my video and photo editing here, but when traveling I can go really small, put the iPad mini in my Alpaca go sling pro, throw an external SSD like my Sandisk Extreme, which is super small, an Apple pencil, and I got an incredibly small and light mobile editing rig.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:25 pm 

Quote:
Unfortunately, you are totally out of luck. For any app that can utilise external media, accessing media files in real-time is all but impossible unless you’re using very low bit rates. Also, general backing up, loading, copying, transferring of files etc. Is going to be like watching paint dry. Splitting files etc. Doesn’t get you around the fundamental problem here, lightning is simply useless and is about 20 years out of date.
I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who thinks that.
Quote:
Yes you’ve got some gear issues there. Lightning is fine for everyday purposes but you need an iPad Pro to use a SSD. Do you have to record continuously with your GoPro and probably discarding most of it? Can you cut the video on the GoPro itself?
Unfortunately I can't, but luckily the GoPro splits a single video into many small 5GB videos, however when you upload the material shot to the GoPro cloud, it unifies the files. In fact, the problem is only with the old shot, with the videos I shot now, I'm fine.
Quote:
FFMpeg comes to the rescue again!! It's a command line utility for Windows, Mac & Linux.
https://www.ffmpeg.org/
Code:
ffmpeg -ss 00:00:01 -i original.mp4 -to 00:05:00 -c:v copy -c:a copy trimmed.mp4
So you know what the syntax is:

-ss is the start time
-to is the end time

This is a lossless copy, no transcoding
Oh, nice, I'll try it now, thank you very much.
Quote:
I got aware of that fact after I bought my 2019 iPad Air. The 2020 with usb-c was recently released at that time, but I couldn't afford it, so went for the 2019. I tried for a while using a powered USB hub, and I was able to read SSD drives, but the transfer speeds are glacially slow. It wasn't until I upgraded earlier this year to the Air 2020 that I was able to fully take advantage of SSD technology.

Why don't you sell your iPad and get a 256GB 2020 Air? Hey, even an iPad mini will be more than enough. And now with LumaFusion you can edit videos directly from the external drive, so internal storage is not that big of an issue as it used to be. Still, for the file size you are handling, I'd suggest you get the 256 model. I don't edit such big video files.

Nowadays I use a 256GB 12.9 M1 iPad Pro as my main machine, and do most of my video and photo editing here, but when traveling I can go really small, put the iPad mini in my Alpaca go sling pro, throw an external SSD like my Sandisk Extreme, which is super small, an Apple pencil, and I got an incredibly small and light mobile editing rig.
I made him put an engraving, so it is more difficult to sell, coming from the android world, I found the possibility of engraving a device beautiful and I did it immediately, but now, I regret it.
Let's see, if the thing is not comfortable to use, in the future I could give it to my sister in exchange for a symbolic amount, 150/200€

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:23 am 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
I made him put an engraving, so it is more difficult to sell
The solution would be to become famous, then sell the engraved iPad for a profit ;)

Windows laptop for emergencies

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:55 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
I made him put an engraving, so it is more difficult to sell, coming from the android world, I found the possibility of engraving a device beautiful and I did it immediately, but now, I regret it.
Let's see, if the thing is not comfortable to use, in the future I could give it to my sister in exchange for a symbolic amount, 150/200€
That's why I only use stickers to personalize my devices ;)