Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:58 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.0 is now available in the App Store. This is a massive new update that doubles the number of tracks for video and audio, streamlines the user interface, and much more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:24 pm 

I am moving from final cut pro x to Lumafusion. I still have 3 projects to finish editing before I only use Luma and this will require me to export the the remaining ones from final cut pro since i really enjoy/want to color grade in Luma fusion. I am shooting clips on iphone XS max at 4K/30P, i was thinking. Does anyone in Final Cut Pro knowledge know what format would be best for me to export the video to use in luma? which profile/preset? Computer? Webhosting? Master File? Apple Devices?

My next part of the question is, what are the best settings for my use case in terms of exporting from luma fusion when im done, for youtube use? Is it simply higher resolution the better for youtube? I know most people who watch my videos, friends and family, co workers, will be watching from their phones, macbooks, 1080P monitors, so forth. MAYBE a tiny chance a 4K tv ( not all TVs support 4K youtube anyway).This got me remembering to when i had a photography page on facebook and everyone said not to upload huge images because Facebook would compress and downsample and it would look worse than if you uploaded a 720p image or whatever was the optimal resolution at the time.
Is it the same for youtube? If i upload a 4K video, but watch it on youtube in 1080P, would it look worse than if i uploaded a 1080P file to begin with? The majority of people who would watch my videos will watch them in 1080 so do i need to upload in 4K in the first place? Is simply higher resolution better?
And then about BIT RATE. The footage from my iPhone is 20.2Mbp/s bit rate. So lumafusion is suggesting “Economy” 25mbps. Should I do that or go for extreme 150mbps? Would 150mbps export actually make it better quality or would it do nothing?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:16 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi kofman13

I think you’ve kinda answered your own question

I don’t set LF to ‘maximum everything’ just because I can (the iPad Pro will handle it though)

Use the settings that most people that view it are going to use which sounds like 1080 at economy.

If everyone has got 4K and super fast broadband then yeah, use that.

You could equally argue that ‘next year everyone will have at least 4K TVs, phones etc so that’s why you need to do’ it but me, I just want an easy life with the least messing around possible (maybe I’m getting old)

V2 of LF is due out soon and I believe that the release after that will have some FCP cross functionality (I’m guessing Octoberish (is that a word))

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:50 am 
Novice
Novice

If you have a 4k project and the bandwidth or time to upload, I would upload in 4k at a higher bitrate. YouTube will transcode the media to several resolutions so end users will get what's best for their device. If you plan on keeping videos on YouTube for several years, I just think it makes sense to upload in the max resolution to make it more future proof at least that's what I do.

I use FilmicPro on my iPhone XS Max and use two mirrorless cameras that record at 4k 100mbps as well as a Mavic Air. There is no sense, however, exporting in a bitrate higher than your capture rate. I believe the built-in iOS camera app has a lower bitrate than FilmicPro.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:33 am 

Quote:
If you have a 4k project and the bandwidth or time to upload, I would upload in 4k at a higher bitrate. YouTube will transcode the media to several resolutions so end users will get what's best for their device. If you plan on keeping videos on YouTube for several years, I just think it makes sense to upload in the max resolution to make it more future proof at least that's what I do.

I use FilmicPro on my iPhone XS Max and use two mirrorless cameras that record at 4k 100mbps as well as a Mavic Air. There is no sense, however, exporting in a bitrate higher than your capture rate. I believe the built-in iOS camera app has a lower bitrate than FilmicPro.
Yes filmic pro is much higher bitrate. but i stil luse the built in ios camera app on my XS because i really like the way the stereo mics sound. Filmic pro and all other 3rd party apps can only use one microphone at a time in Mono because apple never released the stereo mic API for 3rd party apps. But i will see if there is a way with an adapter to use my ZOOM H2n as a usb mic with filmic pro so that way i can use filmic pro and have good audio as well. If it wasnt for filmic pro only doing mono 1 microphone, i would have switched to it already because i really want to be able to lock exposure/WB in filmic and shoot in LOG