Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:21 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.1.1 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:37 am 

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to LF and videography in general, but have been an active photographer for many years.

Here is a question. Maybe some of you had the same topic before and know a way:

For my current project I'm recording pretty large chunks of video. Maybe 15 minutes each. The camera is attached to a bike and I cannot easily turn it on or off.
But of these large chunks I immediately know I will need only maybe two or three much smaller segments. Maybe a minute each.

Having these huge files on an iPad workflow has some serious problems. First the files go into the photos app and I have to make sure, that doesn't get uploaded to the iCloud. Then I import the large files into LF. Then I delete them in Photos, and make sure I clean out the "recently deleted" folder, before allowing cloud sync again.
So far so good - that's just IOS.
Now I have the large files sitting in LF and even when I use only the small segments for my video project, these big chunks of unwanted data are still in the LF folder and take up many GB of space.

Here is what I do today: I import the large files to my MacBook. With the regular MacOS preview I can quickly scann the files and save small segments (using trim) into new and small files. This procedure doesn't change anything on the video format. Same resolution, same fps. Just cut into smaller segments.
Once done, I delete the big files and transfer the small files to my iPad (first Photos then LF).
That works fine, but it requires the detour through the MacBook. I would like to avoid that.

And to the actual question:
I there any app for IOS (iPad) which would allow me to cut out several segments from a large video file without altering any of the video settings.
It's not just trimming beginning and end of a video. I need to be able to cut out multiple (!) segments from various parts of the large video.
if that app would offer an "Open in" function to send the small segments to LF that would be even better.

Cheers,

Robin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Robin

Welcome to the forum

You could

Import the big files. Into LF
Trim the big files into the bits you want
Export the file as a Luma Fusion Project Package - with the the Trimmed Media option
Delete the project and the big files
Import the exported package

It’s still a pain to do, but it’s a limitation of IOS at the moment
Hopefully IOS13 will give us easier ways to manage media

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:28 am 

That's actually a good idea !

I wasn't aware of the Trimmed Media option (new user), but that should be ok.
It's not more hassle than by roundtrip through my MacBook.

Thank you very much !

Cheers,

Robin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have a look at the user guide

https://luma-touch.com/wp-content/uploa ... -Guide.pdf

Page 102

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:15 am 
Novice
Novice

I have done something similar, but instead of exporting as a project file, I put the full-length video into the timeline, trimmed out the segments I don't want leaving a few seconds on either side of the segments I want to keep, and exporting that to my iPad photos app.

Then delete the original file and then work with the trimmed file. I believe this to be a faster solution. Plus, all of the trimmed footage is in one video and not scattered around.