Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:45 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.1.1 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

Post subject: Re: Gnarbox Aternative?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:36 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
I've been using the WD Wireless Pro for a couple of months with Lumafusion now. And I'd like to share a few thought that might be helpful.

Here's the dimensions I look at when considering such a product.

Tansfer Speed: Medium-low, no problem streaming 50mbps videos or raw photos; stutter and jam every 3-4 seconds when streaming videos up to 100mbps (mainly 4K); when coping clips in LumaFusion, 10 seconds video (4k) takes ~5 seconds the transfer speed is measured to be 3-8 MB/s
Reliability/Stability: Satisfactory, I'd say conparatively very reliable when copying SD card, and also reliable in LumaFusion (with support of continue download from last break-off point, so no need to start over)

Shutting down WD Wireless Pro's Internet throughput fuction has an positive impact on transfer speed in my experience. (probably due to less CPU load, and more bandwidth on WiFi antena dedicaed to communication with iPad)
We’re you using the 5GHz wireless access or the 2.4ghz for your transfer speed measurements?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:08 pm 
Master
Master

Just received a new router which I’m told will help out for the LAN.
I made a quick test on older router, when I have time I test new router to compare and let you know.

Did I read correctly you can transfer 3/ 8 megs across from your WD wireless drive pro ? To your Ipad pro ?

Regards Rob

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:31 am 
Novice
Novice

I think the lack of external drive support is one of the last things that the iPad Pro needs to be a true laptop replacement especially with the introduction of USB Type-C. The WiFi drives are an overly complex and slow replacement for a fast and reliable USB 3.1 connection.

The hack I'm currently using is a USB flash drive with a Type-C adapter that includes a folder structure like a camera SD card. I copy clips from my MacBook to the flash drive and can then quickly import them to the iPad Pro.

The cloud transfer options can also be painfully slow even with a fast Internet connection and my experience with the WD options is that they can also be frustratingly slow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:33 pm 
Master
Master

Hello wsrees

Thank you for the input and ideas.
I especially like the terms that you have used to express your thoughts.

Please feel free to expand and show, share the ideas so others can benefit please.

What you have learnt others can adapt and make use of.

Regards Rob

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
I think the lack of external drive support is one of the last things that the iPad Pro needs to be a true laptop replacement especially with the introduction of USB Type-C. The WiFi drives are an overly complex and slow replacement for a fast and reliable USB 3.1 connection.

The hack I'm currently using is a USB flash drive with a Type-C adapter that includes a folder structure like a camera SD card. I copy clips from my MacBook to the flash drive and can then quickly import them to the iPad Pro.

The cloud transfer options can also be painfully slow even with a fast Internet connection and my experience with the WD options is that they can also be frustratingly slow.
Wouldn’t it be easier to airdrop to iPad Pro if your MacBook supports it?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:56 am 
Master
Master

Hello ToNeG,

Thank you for input and ideas, I often do this method of airdrop, if using Final Cut with LumaFusion.
However all my materials of audio, png and videos live on WD harddrive and I piggy back off this.

The laptop does not have an Ethernet port, the WD drive has an Ethernet port.
But mainly WD mycloud that I use is aimed at local area network LAN through wifi.

Advantages are you do not need to disconnect from the web where as Gnarbox and my passport you do of course.

Regards Rob

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:39 am 
Adept
Adept

I just want to mention that one of the emails I got from Gnarbox for their version 2 device (which I have on order) mentioned that it can now optionally use USB-C instead of WiFi with the new USB-C equipped iPad Pros. That should be as fast as any direct hard drive connection.

Also, you will be able to plug in external USB-3 drives into the Gnarbox 2 and use these for browsing and loading footage into Luma Fusion.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Vidiot, useful info

Did they give any idea how close release was yet?

Wasn't it supposed to be last December?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:38 am 
Master
Master

Hi Vidiot,

Let us know more please, I’m especially interested as I thought Gnarbox was for windows formatted drives.

Regards Rob

Rob Chisholm