Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:12 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.6.7 is now available on the App Store, which includes a number of improvements and bug fixes.

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:27 am 

Maybe the correct terminology I’m looking for is how do I composition?
(I’m still new to video editing) pardon my noobish way of trying to convey my situation.

Wondering if the following idea is possible..

I have two separate videos. Both videos are two separate people, casually walking down path, in a park. We, the viewer, are seeing this from third person perspective, (their backs face us, as they walk away)

I want to create a whole new back ground (possibly an image I create on Affinity Photo) and have these actors walking together inside this new background environment I create.

For this, I need to know the following:

1) Is there a way I can grab both actors from their respective videos, with their full (walking away) motions intact.

2) Add an entirely new background for these two actors to walk in

3) How do I go about doing this? and then unifying it all together?
(Is this even possible? or did I stumble upon LumaFusion non-capable zone?)

What I am trying to achieve here:
I am trying to make LumaFusion my Concept/Illustration tool. The best thing for expressing concepts, IMO is not drawn art. It’s video showing the concept fully materialized - in motion. Less room for error. This route, ideas have a much wider margin, for understanding (interpretation) to catch them.

I think LumaFusion has a potential market here.

Anyways... I have a few clients, where the workflow speeds up exponentially, if LumaFusion is capable of providing me, the flexibility and creation tools, for me to breathe to life, in video form, to the concepts, inside my clients minds.

Last edited by LumaFusion Student on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:23 pm 
Adept
Adept

You could use the green screen key tools I should think but might be tricky to eliminate a complex background

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:41 pm 

Quote:
You could use the green screen key tools I should think but might be tricky to eliminate a complex background
Thank you. YouTubed what you advised. Unfortunately, I’m messing up somewhere.

The actors clothing, keeps fading away when I green key and test/experiment with the hue and various neighboring sliders. Even tried reverse key - to no avail. I just want her native background to disappear, not her or her clothing. What am I doing wrong? (Can I not paint everything around her green with a brush from within LumaFusion to achieve effect?) Does luma not offer such a feature?

Attachments:
6F26045C-CACA-4F20-A12C-4A2C78918DF0.png
6F26045C-CACA-4F20-A12C-4A2C78918DF0.png [ 6.01 MiB | Viewed 1352 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:51 pm 
Adept
Adept

No you’re not doing anything wrong. Unfortunately in this case there just isn’t enough difference in colour and brightness between the subject’s clothing and the background. On a still photo you could do some fancy magnetic selection and adjust manually. For every frame of video this isn’t practical. That’s why it’s called the green screen technique because traditionally a green background screen was used with the advantage of having an identifiable colour that is easily selected automatically. Maybe you could re-shoot the subject with more contrasting clothing or background. A blue sky does work well if you can get the angles right.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:19 pm 

Thank you Mark.

So no true compositing, masking, though there are time consuming workarounds.

I guess LumaFusion is not as advanced as what I thought it to be. Affinity Photo has me spoiled. Wish they would make a video app. *sigh* Extremely disappointed.

But now I know.. LumaFusion, is pretty much a slightly above average, video editing app, nothing past that. I’ll file that in my mind to temper future expectations of LumaFusion. I’ll keep the app for basic video editing.

Hopefully, 2018 iPad Pro sparks the other players, of this industry, to step in and release something with more creation power. It seems like they are shifting movement this way (Mobile) Fingers crossed, they think outside the box, not just focus on traditional video editing, but also offer robust tools for illustration, conceptualization.. etc. Much more that can be done with a video manipulation app.

end rant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:43 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I trust you've voted in the poll for Compositing features (blend modes, masking) ??!!??

I'm off to write an app now with all the features everyone wants. Should have it done by the end of the week. Must be easy ... mustn't it?

BTW I'm not one of the developers, that's just my personal opinion

End of rant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:20 pm 
Adept
Adept

Yes I understand the frustration of not having the feature you want Luma Fusion Student and I understand just how difficult it is to make apps. The two and a half developers have a tough call as to where to devote limited resources.
For me it sometimes helps to ask “how many people are really going to watch this fancy video anyway”. It tends to bring me down to earth!
As an aside Afinity Photo drives me nuts. It’s like Photoshop and takes me half an hour to find where they’ve put the tool I want!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:57 am 
Adept
Adept

You're asking about compositing techniques. The technique you'd need to employ is called rotoscoping -- which is incredibly tedious.

To rotoscope in AfterEffects, you'd bring each piece of footage into the program, then hand mask the people out and set a mask path keyframe. Then, you'd advance a frame, and move the mask control points to the new position of the person. Then, you'd advance a frame, and move the control points to properly keep the background transparent. Repeat, repeat, repeat for 24 frames for every second of screen time. Then, repeat this process again for person number 2. Finally, layer all three pieces of footage in a single comp and adjust the elements so they look like they're one piece. It's incredibly time consuming.

To add this functionality into LumaFusion would be possible, I suspect, but it would never be a quick, simple process.

The best approach is to plan ahead and shoot the elements of the clip on green screen and composite them together either in LumaFusion or Bricolage (which has more robust tools for compositing, though it's not as robust as AfterEffects -- or even Premiere Pro).

Trying to extract elements from footage that wasn't shot with the intention of extracting those elements is difficult. That's what hundreds of those names at the end of major motion pictures do -- they just spend day after day rotoscoping elements out of shots.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:48 pm 

I like this thread... ;-)

It’s almost like asking Apple where to find the button in the music player app that turns the Rock Band sound into a classical orchestra, extracts and removes the voice of the singer and lets me sing along with the track with Pavarotti’s timbre but in Tina Turners voice range.

And later on complaining why my free app can’t do this, because it is so easy to imagine in my brain...

People, ah...