Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:54 am

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.3.2 is now available in the App Store

Post subject: TIP - Transparent Video
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:22 am 

I just discovered you can work with transparent video on LumaFusion without the need for workarounds like chroma key. Apparently, HEVC codec allows for an alpha channel, so I tried getting my hands on some video with a transparent background to see if it works on LumaFusion. [SPOILER] It did!

ProRes 4444 is vastly known for its alpha channel capabilities but it's quite a heavy codec for most uses and it doesn't work on iOS or iPadOS. Turns out that you can convert from ProRes 4444 to HEVC right from the Finder in macOS Catalina. You should right-click the transparent ProRes 4444 file, got to 'Services', and then 'Encode Selected Video Files'. If you've done this before, you may know that this pops up a window with options for converting your footage into various resolutions and codecs, including Audio Only. In macOS Catalina, you'll find that you can convert to HEVC 1080p and 2160p, with the option to preserve transparency.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 08.07.05.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 08.07.05.png [ 51.84 KiB | Viewed 1199 times ]
After it's converted, I imported the file into my iPad and now I have perfectly working transparent video. It's also waaaay lighter than ProRes 4444. In the file I've tested, the ProRes 4444 was 37,2 MB, and the HEVC one was only 323 KB.

This is very useful especially if you work with lots of motion graphics on your videos, though I've found that even if you export the transparent HEVC file on LumaFusion, it won't work, and I haven't found any other app to do so right on the iPad which is a shame. I would love it if LumaFusion would add the ability to export HEVC files with transparency.

Anyway, I don't know if this was talked before in the forum but I hope it helps everyone who doesn't know about this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:01 am 
Novice
Novice

Any tips on how to do this on Windows? QT pro is not avaible anymore and all other converter programs I have tried always lose the transparanc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:31 am 

Quote:
Any tips on how to do this on Windows? QT pro is not avaible anymore and all other converter programs I have tried always lose the transparanc.
As far as I read, Adobe was working on it to implement it on Adobe Media Encoder, and that should work for Windows too. Since I don’t use the Adobe suite, I cannot confirm if it has been implemented yet.

Source: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-m ... p/10630686

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:50 pm 
Adept
Adept

You can create videos with Alpha Transparency in iOS with Alight Motion.
Works perfectly in LumaFusion as you mentioned.
Details here: https://youtu.be/-JPVZl5sIUI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:16 pm 
Adept
Adept

Here is an example with a Gradient that goes from red to transparent:
https://youtu.be/VLtnx-DRrGA
Attachment:
8CD3F60A-8E74-4FC7-A264-D57F63AF6093.png
8CD3F60A-8E74-4FC7-A264-D57F63AF6093.png [ 2.93 MiB | Viewed 50 times ]