Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:23 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.2.3 is now available in the App Store

Post subject: Thought on this issue?
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:57 am 

Hi All, I got a weird issue and I want to see if anyone got some insight?

First I've been using LumaFusion in the past for short film editing, and have not had any issue, then I upgraded my iPad to an iPad Pro 2018 256g and this seems to show up a bit more frequent:
So, here's what I do:

Edit a project within LumaFusion
Export it to photos (usually keep in higher quality)
Copy from ipad pro to ssd via the usb-c hub
ssd playing back on computer (pc) it would show some 'pixelation' on a frame or two throughout (randomly)
Ssd is formatted in ExFat
I've tried copying several times and the pixelation happens randomly and random places.

I can't use exjournaled hard on my pc lol

now if I copy from ipad to the pc directly using the usb c cable, there is no issue...

my question would be, is it the ssd too slow? (now this is the Samsung T5 drive that I use with my bmpcc4k).
or it's exfat issue?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:37 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’ve had a similar experience with a Sandisk SSD.
I believe it’s because there is no safe removal mechanism on the iPad that allows for the drive to ensure all the data is written to the drive before it can be safely removed.

I was pulling my hair out (if I had any) about this and like you the “corruption” occurred at different times, in my case in one specific segment of my movie. I put this down to the fact that my drive wasn’t very full and the data got written to the same area each time I saved it.

Given the issues I had I was very fortunate to be able to return the drive for a refund, but it has made me very wary about using high capacity external drives with the iPad.

The following thread on the Apple communities Website explain my issue and the response given Which prompted my decision;

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251276085

I was contemplating the Samsung T5 or T7 but didn’t know if there was any safeguard on the drive to suggest it was ok to remove it, such as a flashing or not flashing led. I’ve not found out yet, if you have the T5 maybe you can advise.

Regards, Glenn.