Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.3.2 is now available in the App Store

Post subject: Gnarbox 2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

Well - I purchased a Gnarbox recently as it looked like this was going be a great help in that it would be a good way to get files into the ipad - where the whole files didnt need to transfer over - and only selected portions would transfer over. I had already wasted my money on the WD wireless drive which was slow and clunky and would only transfer the complete file. I saw some fairly good youtube reviews on the combination - but I have to say that so far I am rather disappointed.

First - written documentation is almost non-existent from both Luma Touch and Gnarbox. There are a few different modes that this gnarbox can be run in and trying to figure out which can be used while still enabling your iOS device to see the internet is rather confusing.

Second - I have had a few occasions when the gnarbox and iPad lose connectivity with each other - or there a filess that go into a missing mode - until I reboot the gnarbox.

Support for Gnarbox is via web chat only. They have no phones - and for the last couple days the support people had to go into meetings for a couple of hours. Support time is Monday - Friday - and starts at about 10 or 11 Pacific Time.

This statement from one of the support people at Gnarbox really concerns me “ The ability to trim is working with most other cameras but there have been reports of some cameras not working properly so we will open a ticket for investigation on this. The communication between LumaFusion and GNARBOX is not 100% for all cameras and iOS cameras is one of the currently unsupported (or "broken") filetypes. ”. Huh - I thought that the LumaFusion developers worked closely with the Gnarbox folks and would have conveyed that this is an iOS product and a lot of us use our iPhones with and without Filmic Pro.

Speaking of Filmic - I am wondering a couple of things. Why doesn't Filmic support the Gnarbox fo the Archive Target (it sees the Gnarbox but says Authentication Failed. No place to put in username and password Filmic that I can see.

So - I think right now for the price of the Gnarbox - you really need to think long and hard about it before taking the plunge. If Gnarbox folks aren’t going to write up some useful docs then I think that Luma Touch needs to do a better job of documenting the how to set it up, and some troubleshooting tips as far as workflow integration worth Gnarbox.

Thoughts?

Joseph

Post subject: Re: Gnarbox 2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Gnarbox appears as a device in ‘Sources’

You need to connect to the Gnarbox’s WiFi

I’ve not used the Gnarbox ‘chat’ on their website but they reply quickly to emails (allowing for time differences)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:10 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
The Gnarbox appears as a device in ‘Sources’

You need to connect to the Gnarbox’s WiFi

I’ve not used the Gnarbox ‘chat’ on their website but they reply quickly to emails (allowing for time differences)
Dave - of course I know that. There are much deeper problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, only trying to help

If you boot your gnarbox up in its default mode, connect to its wifi, you can see the files on it

You can then edit them in LF

(see page 17 of the reference guide)

Why would you want to connect to the internet with your device at the same time?

See also:

https://support.gnarbox.com/hc/en-us/ar ... ntegration

What else is there to do?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:33 pm 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
Ok, only trying to help

If you boot your gnarbox up in its default mode, connect to its wifi, you can see the files on it

Why would you want to connect to the internet with your device at the same time?

See also:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
Ok, only trying to help

See also:

To answer your question Dave - because I subscribe to Storyblocks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, yes I see - good point

I've found the Gnarbox is never too happy being connected to the inter web - even updating it has been 'troublesome'

I must admit I've not tried it your way. I copied all the clips I wanted from storyblocks first

The thing I like least about the gnarbox is the fact that you have to boot it up and then if you want a different mode you effectively boot it up again. Why they can't have a series of choices on the 'boot screen' I don't know (maybe they will with an update)