Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:32 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.2 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

Videos should be appropriate for all audiences. Please keep all criticism constructive.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:14 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Rob, my knowledge of USB-2/3 is fairly limited so I don't think I'll be of much more help. I don't have the adapter myself either so I can't even do any testing.

The only thing I can think of based on my USB-C testing with my iPad is that make sure you power the dongle before you plug in the dongle to your iPad. In some cases, if I had a hard drive connected, and then plugged in power, the hard drive would disconnect.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:21 am 
Master
Master

All and any information is helpful Bill.

I did many tests removing third party extension cables for power.

I.E plug in power cable to the mains and then apples power supply into this and then removed and place apples power supply directly into the mains electricity.

I could not repeat this next part, but as you say, make sure first the power is connected to the camera powered adapter.

It appeared as if I did this first ( connect power to the camera adapter ) I had much better repeated connections for 1 TB western digitally usb3 drive and 64 gigs usb 3 pen drive.

Down side it was not repeatable in the Mac shop.

Apple shop determined the powered camera adapters to be at fault.

All 4 of them at this point in time.

I repeat this all self powered drives all worked each and every time with no issues all are also usb 2.

I suspect it is a powered related issues.

Regards Rob

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:02 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just picked up an iPhone 11 and was able to do some testing with the USB 3 lightning powered camera adapter (Apple version). It looks like my SSD’s, thumb drives and SD card readers work fine. I can’t seem to get any of my WD HDD’s to work. I’ll do some more testing to see if I can get anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:31 am 
Master
Master

Thank you Bill,

That is interesting some HD work some not.
Are your WD HD’S self powered ?
Maybe could you post so some data available. ( which HD )

I wish company’s would do tests and make information, knowledge available.
I was under the illusion about a week ago an newer iPad Pro with USB ports would support any wire HD.
It does not :(
Other issues appear to be RAW image previews not available on some older cameras.
(a top tip app wise File Browser can produce thumb nail previews )

Regards Rob

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:33 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Rob, my WD Wireless Pro HDD is self powered, and I also had a non powered WD HDD, neither worked.

Edit: both of these HDD’s work on my USB-c IPad Pro BTW.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:46 am 
Master
Master

Hello Bill,

Glad you clarified the knowledge, i also have some questions if you can answer please.

The WD drive i am interested in i have included an image, just confirming this is the item you currently own.
With the IPad Pro you are using which gen ? Please.
Have you hard wired this WD to the IPad Pro ?

Questions like,
1. If you hard WD Wireless Pro, in read and write out from iPad Pro - how much in percentages was the increase please ?
2. If possible i like to know how long it takes to write a Gig to the WD Wireless Pro HDD From iPad Pro over its wifi please and compare this when hard wired.

I actually just come back from apple shop in town as i asked them what is the max write out speed of the new iPad Pro - all faces went down to there tablets and like the matrix pressed on the little ear pieces they wear.
Probably central control saying get him out the shop quickly :)

Joking aside no one appears to know the actual write speed out from a iPad or phone.
Which is what putting me off up grading a few areas, as no point in spending more to find out the HD’s would not work.
I spent £180 last month on SD cards / USB sticks / WD element HD none of which work daily with a IPad Pro gen one in a powered camera adapter environment.

Only items that will work repeatedly without issues are the micro SD cards.
Ps i did ask apple in town about your phone, just asked questions like the new is old right, no they said, oh i said it is a lightning port and not USB-c.

Yes said staff we also thought why have older ports.
Asked which HD’s can i use with this phone, all blank and no one knows the answers.
Mine you the HD’s they sell in the shop i think I’m correct.
If you buy and it does not work compatible with phone etc they give you a complete refund.

Regards Rob

Attachments:
64BD3EAC-9F48-499C-BE10-83E0EE78F210.png
64BD3EAC-9F48-499C-BE10-83E0EE78F210.png [ 763.61 KiB | Viewed 938 times ]

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:01 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Rob, yes that is the hard drive I tested. I have the 2018 iPad Pro (USB-c) which this works with. I’ll try again with my lightning iPhone 11 tonight.

I have no hard numbers but over USB-c I would get typical USB 3 speeds in transfers (maybe 1 GB per minute). I found the wireless transfer on this hard drive both much slower and not very reliable (5 mins per GB). The app kind of sucks. I actually prefer to use RavPower FileHub because at least it’s reliable.

I think if you can pickup a cheap SSD (I have a 500GB Samsung) it will be fast and have quick read/write speeds). It will need to have external power though for lightning connections.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:42 am 
Master
Master

No rush in your own time Bill,

I am more interested in how the write from iPad Pro to the WD is working.
When you test and you probably know this already.

1 gig of one file say is write once, where as 1,000 raw images is a 1,000 packages of stop now write.
Just include the what you transferred please so we know.

Interesting you pick up on the WD app, clunky clanger I call it.
And reliable as you mentioned I agree. Not reliable except at being not reliable.
Over the weekend I removed 100 gigs and more from iPad - painful experience.
In the end I dropped all into SD cards.
Used the laptop with SD card to transfer to WD my cloud.

Sometimes 4 gigs took 30 mins (all are raw images in folders) sitting 7 inches from router)
Next day I could move say 7 folders with 11 gigs in 18 mins or less. ( sitting 4 feet away from router)

There are some re written code on WD forums, this reduces time by 40/ 50 % and will increase transfer speeds.
So the person claims, they have a much more superior knowledge than I and it does make sense.
But back up before trying first.
Regards Rob

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:18 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tried both drives again on my iPhone and no luck. The light blinks really fast which isn’t normal. Must be power restrictions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:32 am 
Master
Master

Thank you Bill,

Not sure who wrote about power lighting issues in the forum.
But it appears they are probably correct in saying lightning port was not designed for use with a HD
So across the board lightning be it iPad Pro to the most up to date iphone do not function as we expect.
(Apple staff disagree in shop)

If you have time Bill, i am still interested in your thoughts on using the WD wireless drive you use with your iPad Pro please.

Regards Rob

Rob Chisholm

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next