Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:46 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 am 
Adept
Adept

I’ve noticed from various posts that many of you own drones. Thought maybe I could get some advice.

I'm thinking about joining in on the fun of aerial videography and I’m looking for advise on a good drone for a first timer.

This will be a hobby - no commercial work. I want something that takes great photos and video, compact in size, reliable & easy to control.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

CappyLee

P.S. I know this isn’t an editing topic but my LumaFusion family seemed like a great source of advice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:51 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi Lee

I've had a DJI Phantom P3Standard for almost 2 years which has served me well

However

They no longer make it although from what I see on other forums there are still some kicking around

I would now look at a DJI Mavic Air or DJI Mavic Pro as my next drone

Why

Slightly longer battery life (about 18-20 mins realistically)
Better transmission range
Better quality camera and will do 4k (the P3S did a kind of hybrid 2.7k)
Obstacle avoidance sensors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:03 pm 
Adept
Adept

Thanks Dave. That’s very helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 am 
Novice
Novice

The Mavic Pro will be a great starter drone. It has a decent starter price (800-1200). There are other drones that are cheaper and smaller but the Mavic Pro is in the sweet spot for flight time, range and performance.

I've had the MP for a year and 3 months and no issues and is a very reliable aircraft/camera system

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:50 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Agreed Stride8

I think the Mavic Pro would be my choice for the reasons you have given

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:09 pm 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
I’ve noticed from various posts that many of you own drones. Thought maybe I could get some advice.

I'm thinking about joining in on the fun of aerial videography and I’m looking for advise on a good drone for a first timer.

This will be a hobby - no commercial work. I want something that takes great photos and video, compact in size, reliable & easy to control.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

CappyLee

P.S. I know this isn’t an editing topic but my LumaFusion family seemed like a great source of advice.
I hang out on the Casey Neistat subReddit. If you know about Casey, you know almost every vlog he uploads has a drone compilation...

But:

Many people on his sub claim it is becoming all but impossible to legally fly a drone these days. This might be helpful in NOT getting a drone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:33 pm 
Adept
Adept

Thanks everyone. Very helpful advice. I'm now trying to decide between the Mavic Pro and the Marvic Air.

Thanks again,
CappyLee

P.S. If it is becoming more difficult to legally fly drones, Casey is certainly contributing the problem. He has poked the bear (FAA) many times with his questionable drone flights posted on YouTube.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:45 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I personally own the Mavic air and have access to the phantom pro 4 for work.

The mavic air is great for me because my video and photography work usually involves me mountain biking and having to do everything my self. It's small and light weight so I don't notice it in my bag.
the only down side is due to its size it's not great in high wind and the props are very noisy

The phantom drones are big and cumbersome and take up a whole large backpack by them selves but they are darn near indestructible and can be flown in some ridiculous conditions.
The shots around the 2:20 mark in the video linked below were taken with a phantom 4 and the wind blowing through the valley had the drone at a near 45 degree angle as it was working to stay steady but it did the job marvelously.

It's all about size vs function.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:30 am 
Novice
Novice

I am really happy with my Mavic Air. I have owned 3 drones and the Air is perfect for my needs. My advice would be go small as it’s more likely to be with you just like a phone over a DSLR.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Don't get me started!

Yeah less than 0.5% of drone users spoil it for the 99.5% of us happy legal fliers

That gets the hobby a bad name - drones are bad - they will video you in the bath and bring down other aircraft!

I would love to video a nearby WW2 base a few miles from me. It's next to a prison. The prison is well known for having some of that 0.5% dropping drugs, phones and monkey dust from drones. It even has a no fly zone set up so us legal flyers can't do anything there. So I couldn't even start the motors (I've tried it)

If I was one of those 0.5% I'd download the relevant 'modified' software from the inter web and wouldn't care how much legislation there was. I'd fly up to 2000 feet and take a video of almost nothing due to the wide angle of the lens and then post it on Youtube

Rant over :)