Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:40 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

Post subject: Custom Resolutions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:06 am 
Novice
Novice

Hello!

I saw a version or two back that 360 support was added along with 2:1 aspect ratio. I have a question along those lines as it relates to editing/exporting VR clips...

I have a video I'm attempting to edit that's 3200x1600 60 fps 16Mbps but when I try exporting the edited clip back out (despite having the project set to 2:1), I don't see an export resolution option that matches the source video. The closest one I can choose from is 2844x1422.

Is there a way to set a custom resolution or have LumaFusion detect the resolution automatically so it exports exactly the same as the source clip? To get around this for the time being, I may try exporting the clip to a larger resolution, and then use ffmpeg on my Mac to crop/resize the video back to its original dimensions...but it'd sure be nice to just stay in one tool instead of the hoop jumping between different systems! ;)

Any thoughts on how to accomplish what I'm after?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Custom Resolutions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Maverick

Where did this video come from?

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:03 am 
Novice
Novice

It came from a gaming site. I think it's formatted for Oculus if that helps...

Edit: it's actually in 180 SBS format rather than it being a 360 OU or LR. Not sure if that makes a difference. More than anything, the aspect ratio is 2:1.
Quote:
Where did this video come from?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Maverick

ok, good to know. So to be clear this isn't a camera, it's a screen resolution.

Would you mind describing your workflow in a little more detail please.

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:31 am 
Novice
Novice

Sure thing, Androu -- here's my workflow:

• Import or AirDrop the source file to iOS device
  • Create a new project in LumaFusion
  • Set the Current Project's Framerate to 60 and Frame Aspect to 2:1
  • Add the source file to timeline
  • Make edits to source file
  • Tap Share > Movie > Photos App
  • In the Movie Settings (PhotoLibrary) menu, I tried finding the source resolution from the scroll list (3200x1600 in my case). However, the only options that are close is "1440p (2844x1422)" or "3K (3264x1632)". I left the Frame Rate at 60fps and Video Quality as Standard (24Mbps). The 360 VR option was also left as "Normal Video"

Does that help?

Maverick
Quote:

ok, good to know. So to be clear this isn't a camera, it's a screen resolution.

Would you mind describing your workflow in a little more detail please.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Maverick

Thanks for that. I'm more interested in the source of the SBS video. I get what is happening with LumaFusion (we don't currently recognize that resolution for export).

I'm always curious to know what people are doing, their workflows, because that helps us make better software. For the most part we specify particular resolutions based on camera resolutions, but it seems like you are generating video from somewhere else. I want to understand that somewhere else.

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:53 am 

Quote:
Hello Maverick

I'm always curious to know what people are doing, their workflows, because that helps us make better software. For the most part we specify particular resolutions based on camera resolutions, but it seems like you are generating video from somewhere else. I want to understand that somewhere else.

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch
Are there custom resolutions available yet? I work only in odd resolutions and aspect ratio. Just today I need to crop a 4k video with a 1100x1300 animation in the middle on iPad. I hesitated when I saw videos before buying.

Custom resolutions are incredibly important. There are so many odd canvas sizes I need. I remember when one tardo who wrote a book on FCPX when it first came out was trying to say how FCPX didn't need to add custom resolutions. For a good year it was having to make a custom project in Motion to have a custom resolution in FCPX. Yep, you had to buy a compositor in order to edit in a custom resolution.

For web work I often need to export to the ever changing social media post ratios (Facebook is constantly making weird sizes), and for ebook animations you are needing to often work all kinds of sizes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:09 pm 

Bumpiška.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:13 am 

I agree with BigManTyrone.
Custom resolutions are vital.

I edit videos for Apple's AppStore and they only accept 1600x1200 or 1200x900 (plus their vertical versions).

I used to export from LumaFusion, then use VLC for the conversion. This is a huge pain, especially as the export seems to be 2 pixels off. I did not have that issue before, but with the latest Luma version (as of Dec 28th 2017), I am getting files with 1442x1080 instead of clean 1440x1080. The media information shows discrepancies between Resolution and Display Resolution. According to VLC one of both fields is always by 2px off. As a result I am no longer able to obtain the right pixel-perfect resolution for the AppStore ... I am still trying to troubleshoot this.

Long story short: having a custom resolution for projects and/or exports will help you support many use cases.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Quote:
Hello Maverick

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch
Are there custom resolutions available yet? I work only in odd resolutions and aspect ratio. Just today I need to crop a 4k video with a 1100x1300 animation in the middle on iPad. I hesitated when I saw videos before buying.

Custom resolutions are incredibly important. There are so many odd canvas sizes I need. I remember when one tardo who wrote a book on FCPX when it first came out was trying to say how FCPX didn't need to add custom resolutions. For a good year it was having to make a custom project in Motion to have a custom resolution in FCPX. Yep, you had to buy a compositor in order to edit in a custom resolution.

For web work I often need to export to the ever changing social media post ratios (Facebook is constantly making weird sizes), and for ebook animations you are needing to often work all kinds of sizes.