Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:47 am

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.3.2 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

Videos should be appropriate for all audiences. Please keep all criticism constructive.

Post subject: METROPOLIS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L95kQriQAWk

The starting point or departure point for this video was some imagery in my head from Fritz Lang’s 1927 silent film, “Metropolis.” His movie is considered to be among the first feature length sci-fi movies. With that as an organizing concept, I focused on architectural constructions and deconstructions. So the video begins with some Antoni Gaudi-like buildings. These morph into strange carnival rides and ferris wheels. And into Martian landscapes. Then into rotating airborne buildings. A black and white pyramid surrounded by more Gaudi type environments. And dissolving into a sci-fi cityscape. Other themes which influenced me were Steampunk, the Tower of Babel and Kurt Schwitter’s Hanover “Merzbau” construction. The video ends with some imagery of H.R.Giger which was also used on Emerson, Lake and Palmer’s “Brain Salad Surgery” LP. And some fleeting imagery from D. W. Griffith’s 1916 “Intolerance” movie.

The soundtrack began with three separate 10 minute tracks of Pianoscaper, Moodscaper, and Moodscaper SE. These three apps by Rob Jackson provide generative, ambient background for the more rhythmic and melodic sounds of Xynthesizr and Waldorf Nave. I brought each of these six tracks into LumaFusion where I did some level adjustments to fade them in and out. I like the idea of setting up a system and just letting the apps create the music - it’s always more fun and surprising for me this way. I did try to get the key and mode of Xynthesizer and Nave to be compatible with the Scaper apps but only by ear.

What I was hoping for is an assemblage of related imagery that the viewer can reconstruct in his mind as he or she sees fit. Like “2001, a Space Odyssey” or like visual poetry. If I provide a literal interpretation then that robs the viewer of their own interpretation.

One of the surprising things for me when I first laid down some ambient tracks from Pianoscaper, Moodscaper, and Moodscaper SE, was how often they synced up with the imagery. The music accentuated the imagery and vice versa. Then it was a matter of accentuating these confluences or serendipitous synchrony by fading in or out the music.

I hope you enjoy watching and listening!

Peace!
Tom

Post subject: Re: METROPOLIS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:22 pm 
Expert
Expert

Attachment:
2B97CCB5-7B3C-41B9-BF95-63C4387BFC8C.jpeg
2B97CCB5-7B3C-41B9-BF95-63C4387BFC8C.jpeg [ 139.04 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I liked that one Tom

Particularly the black and white bits for some reason

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:53 pm 
Expert
Expert

Thanks Dave! Maybe the B&W bits act as cleansers for the visual palate - like cheese with wine LOL!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will check that

... just off to get some cheese and wine