Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:12 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.3.2 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

Videos should be appropriate for all audiences. Please keep all criticism constructive.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:45 pm 

https://youtu.be/9Tay9Byo--M

Hi everyone,
I finally made the switch from Sony to Canon.
Shot all Handheld with 1 camera and 1 prime lens except the drone shots
Edited entirely on iPad mini with LumaFusion

Gear Used
Canon EOS R
Canon 35mm 1.8
DJI Mavic Pro

I am really loving this editing setup :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

Really nice footage. It’s great to see how people like you can take advantage of what a camera like the EOS R (and the Mavic, of course) can do.

But I’ll be a bit critical here, since that’s how we grow…

What you have is a beautiful collection of footage, but I struggled to get through the whole cut. What’s the story you’re trying to tell? What do you want us to take away from your film? (And I call it a film, because in my mind, that’s what you’re trying to create.)

With a piece like this, even if people want to call it a “travel blog” video, what I want is to get a sense of how your experience of this place impacted you. How did it change you? What did you see that other people can’t see, or don’t see?

I’d also suggest, with a piece like this, that when you get it cut to where you think it’s ready (like it is now), go back and cut two minutes out of it. An editor I worked for once told me that the first shot an editor should cut is the director’s favorite shot. Chances are it’s too long, and it’s probably the very first shot the director wants to see. What I think he meant is the old creative adage, “kill your children.” Don’t get too attached to footage you love, if using it brings down the energy of the edit.

Finally, take a good look at what I call the “rhythms” of your edit. In the opening minute or so, it feels like there are a lot of the same shots. Big, wide aerials. Girlfriend looking off into the distance. And many of them feel like the same framing. Show me some details, some close ups. After all, the experience of a place like this is as much in the details as in the vistas.

Again, you have some great footage here. Craft it into a story, one with energy that ebbs and flows, and you’ll have something beautiful.

Cheers!

Skylark Creative
weareskylark.com