Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:26 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.1.1 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

Videos should be appropriate for all audiences. Please keep all criticism constructive.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:10 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can't remember exact speeds, but it's probably very similar to any USB3 transfer speeds. Downloading to the iPad was about twice as fast as moving files to the harddrive. Compared to wirelessly transferring, I wouldn't be concerned with the speed unless you're moving 20+ GB of data regularly. If you're moving large amounts of data regularly, SSD is the way to go.

If you haven't bought the hard drive yet, I would get a Samsung T5 SSD drive, or even some large thumb drives.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:32 am 
Master
Master

Thank you Bill,

The information very good to know and useful about the WD.
yes i move gigs around a lot in work, easy 9 gig to 20 gigs in one day of capture and all that has to go into an IPad.
Back up any of these gigs for future use.

Probably i be better off with a desktop, however i have been experimenting with mobile devices and work editing on site, sitting in my van.
The pain comes when i wish to transfer Gigs off the ipad.

I did try thumb drives bought some and plugged them into a powered camera adapter.
These thumb sand disks worked with one camera adapter in store only, the other 3 camera adapters worked in front of the staff once but would not repeat working.

I put in a very old thumb sand disk 2008 this worked each and every time.
Apple staff were confused and did not have an answer.

I think the answer is IOS kind of works for some people and not others and Apple could produce a sheet stating what does and does not work.

Then people like me who i have spent £180 last month on drives of which only SD cards work with iPad Pro can save time and money.
I spoken to a few others in different forums and people who use there iPads for work drawing etc.
They have had the same experiences and like me have bought drives expecting them to actually work.
At best they can return the powered camera adapter to apple and have refund.
The HD they have to keep when bought from other stores, making the whole exercise rather irritating for them.

One went icloud but he still waiting for the 2.5 TB to upload so he given up and gone back to desk top.
It s for work and many artists use tablets for drawing in Brighton.
So they need a working platform without issues.

For me the SSD WD sounds like a solution provided i can plug and write back and fourth to the iPad Pro gen 1.
Any one have a SSD WD and IPad Pro gen 1?

Regards Rob

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:12 am 

Hi Rob (and others),

I have been watching your posts for some while now.

I have iPad Pro 9.7 2016 256GB (i.e. Gen 1.) and also have iPhone 7+.

My findings are that with Apple lightning to USB 3 camera adapter I have no problem reading/writing to any of my USB sticks which vary from a 12 year old 1GB to recent 128GB USB 3 stick, although all but one need external power. When connecting either of my 2 external HDDs, neither of them will work.

This is the same on both Ipad Pro and iPhone 7+

Please don't ask me to do any read/write speed tests. At 82 years old I have neither the time nor the inclination :lol:
As Dave so succinctly put it in an earlier post - by the time the coffee's brewed, the job's done - (or words to that effect).

I cannot help but feel that you're flogging a dead horse with HDDs. Surely the way forward, as Bill says, is with SSDs. I'm currently considering a Sandisk Extreme Portable 500GB (£68.79 on Amazon) which, I am led to understand, will work with my set-up.

Hope this helps,

Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

82 Tony!!

You must qualify as our most senior user!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:26 am 

Do I win a new iPad Pro? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:53 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok, one more thing to try then I quit:) The power brick (part the plugs into the wall for power), if you're using the 5W apple brick that came with your phone (assuming iPad as well), can you try one that supplies a bit more power? The standard 5W might not be enough to power both the HDD and the iPad at the same time. I may have one at home that I'll try tonight. I read somewhere that 12W might be the minimum required.

I know this doesn't explain the fact that the WD Wireless Pro is self powered, but maybe apple doesn't think it is and is getting confused.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:12 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I found a 12W brick, but it didn’t work either, I can’t come back empty handed so I have some transfer numbers for you.

The test was done using 28 4K video files totalling 5GB using the apple USB 3.0 powered camera adapter with the iPhone and a USB-C hub for the iPad.

TEST1: iPhone 11 (lightning) to USB 3.0 thumb drive: just under 16 minutes.
TEST2: iPhone 11 (lightning) to Samsung T5 SSD: Just under 4 minutes.
TEST3: iPad Pro 2018 (usb-c) to USB 3.0 thumb drive: just under 9 minutes.
TEST4: iPad Pro 2018 (usb-c) to Samsung T5 SSD: 1 minute 12 seconds.

So SSD will be about 4x faster moving data to an external source on lightning.

Using USB 3.0 thumb drive is faster over USB-c but it’s not drastic.

Lightning transferring to SSD has very reasonable speeds.

USB-c to SSD is the clear winner.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:49 am 
Master
Master

Hello all,

Apologies for the late reply, work got in the way again :)

Great deal of information you have all provided and I thank you for the time and your efforts.
It is appreciated knowledge shared with others, who undoubtedly will come across these areas when experimenting with lightning and HDD's.

Here what I have gleamed in the past few days, re lightning and iPad Pro's.
One video I watched the presenter actually had the same Sand disk 2019 USB pen drive as I and also the WD elements HD.
In his video the USB did not work, the WD flickered on and off.
Ironically the older USB pen drives worked for him, exactly the same for myself.

His conclusion is the same as you mentioned Tony.
"flogging a dead horse with HDDs."

So for others reading iPad Pro with USB 3 speed with lightning port, simply put it is un stable when using HHD's. (Except HHD's in a Stardom self powered set up - this unit is for hot swap older drives and repeatedly worked without issues, when using a iPad Pro 1st gen and camera powered adapter)

Other newer models iPhones, will not support HDD's.

Here is what I have found does repeatedly works and is stable with iPad Pro 1st gen lightning port.
I have included some basic transfer speeds for others.

1.57 GB and a 534.5 MB (that is 2 files)

iPad Pro 1st gen lightning port to SD card - 04.47.35 minutes.

SD card to iPad Pro 1st gen lightning port - 00:29.55 seconds.

From experimenting with all of these different transfer methods, for me SD card works better.
Reasons are,

1: No power required.
2: Can move about freely, not tied to a table with a power lead.
3: Can carry my Stock video and Stock Raw images easily with the tablet.

Only negative here is the iPad's write out speed is capped heavily, so moving files off the iPad still remains a slow process.

So I have moved some of my Stock image library over to the SD card using a laptop.
225.72 Gig's 2 hrs.

Using files app with the SD card also removed the issues with WD app that will not give previews on some Raf files and Png PSD etc. (WD my cloud)

In fact working from the SD card visually, is just like being on a desktop finder scrolling through the images with ease and no lag in previews. ( Average image size 25 meg's and above)

Regards Rob

Attachments:
225.72 GIGs SD Transfer.png
225.72 GIGs SD Transfer.png [ 28.93 KiB | Viewed 718 times ]

Rob Chisholm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:55 am 

Further to my previous post, I went ahead and purchased a Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD (Black Friday deal). As predicted, when connected via Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter, to both 9.7 iPad Pro 2016 and iPhone 7+, it works like an absolute dream!

Couldn't be more pleased - hope this helps someone, definitely the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:01 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just to wrap up my testing, essentially I can get everything connected via lightning (via Apple USB 3.0 camera connection kit) except any HDD. I even tried the 18 watt charger with no luck. I can connect HDD’s to my iPad USB-c no problem.

With the speed of SSD I’m not sure I will be using anything else anyway.