Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:53 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.4.4 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:10 am 

Hi,
one of the reasons I am using an iPad pro is quality software like LumaFusion. I am looking forward for speed ramping to be built in one day :)

but I also was wondering what do people use as a workflow for action camera footage?

I have a bunch of footage, a lot actually, and was looking at quick and easy ways to edit it. I know GoPro have their "Quik" app, its ok but not really well featured. I like the feature where it scans the files and auto produces scenes to use in an action video. But it also misses a lot of the action.

For now, I have manually been importing videos into the timeline of LumaFusion and editing/slicing out unwanted footage.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:04 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Here’s what I do if it helps. Whatever you do don’t have a long continuous shot from your helmet cam! Try to mix it up with short varied clips from different view points, close ups, general scene, etc. :D

I usually copy an existing "template" project which has about two minutes of 2 second clips and my standard title and ending. The clips all have a very subtle zoom in which is the only effect I ever use other than colour correction. In preview I set the start of clips and drag them onto the existing ones and generally keep the template clip length.

After viewing the project and adjusting any clip scenes for position etc I will take time to fix the audio. Often I triple tap to separate the audio and will stretch it to adjoining clips. I also often copy simple scene audio to clips which have a good picture but accidentally include extraneous noises. Wind noise I'll eliminate whenever possible and when the scene is obviously windy I add a wind sound effect which sounds like real wind rather than microphone wind noise. Fade transitions are sometimes useful between audio clips.

Music I only use when the project doesn't have much real world audio. I drag the music onto two audio tracks, one matching the start and the other matching the end. I then trim the overlap and adjust until the transition sounds natural. It's all trial and error but I do like music that starts and ends properly rather than just fading in or out. All the time I'm erring on the side of making the project shorter rather than longer. Deleting unnecessary clips is useful when matching music length.

Colour correction I usually leave to the end so I don't waste time fixing clips that I later reject to fix the project length. I try to avoid jarring changes in light from one scene to another using the levels slider mostly and sometimes gamma to lift the shadows. I will also adjust saturation to hopefully normal levels which aren't too exaggerated by the camera used.

Exporting

I don't generally publish so you won't find any YouTube advice here. Before exporting I've named the project with key words preceded by the event date in YYYMMDD format. This is to make files sort properly with the actual event date rather than the file creation date.

I export to Photos and then copy that to Files/OnMyDevice so I have a version which doesn't have to download first. I tag these into categories and also create a link to the file which I add to a map app because often the fastest way to find a video is on a map.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:09 pm 

Mark, thanks for those tips. Very useful. I never thought of the "template" idea. That's a good one. Also the Audio.

I have procrastinated editing my videos sometime as there is a lot of footage to go through, and not all is exciting :lol: Some of the footage I keep unedited for my own use - review for later - ie. Dirt bike riding - listening to the engine sounds, watching how I am riding the trails. This type of footage doesnt need much editing at all. I'll piece a couple of shots together and render that with a basic title.

Maybe I should edit soon after event as possible rather than doing "later". Will be more enthused, and even if I get a basic edit done and exported/rendered, I can delete the unwanted source files.

I found its better to export to the file system (Photos) first then upload to YouTube. I've had the process crash a few times on longer videos, plus it means I'll have a copy of the file locally as well.

thanks, you've given me some ideas to think about.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good advice Mark