Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:44 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.4.2 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:28 am 
Novice
Novice

Is it possible to ‘lock’ transitions?

For whatever reason, transitions constantly disappears when modifying the project, usually when moving clips from point A to point B. It’s a constant battle. Secondly, why don’t transitions also move with the clips.

https://imgur.com/a/rOjgY2o

Edit: figured out how to upload screenshots:

Attachments:
513A9DE1-7A38-4A82-886D-4DC9DF8B1C80.png
513A9DE1-7A38-4A82-886D-4DC9DF8B1C80.png [ 5.86 MiB | Viewed 464 times ]

Last edited by strawberryshortcake on Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:20 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The answer is no but try experimenting with multi select to move clip and transition. The result depends a lot on the particular situation and I’d say the designers have chosen to avoid possible complications with clip lengths etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
The answer is no but try experimenting with multi select to move clip and transition. The result depends a lot on the particular situation and I’d say the designers have chosen to avoid possible complications with clip lengths etc.

So LumaFusion finally added the basic feature multi-select ... nice.

But I should have totally clarified my post. Transitions that do disappear are never directly touched. Not sure I entirely understand your second point about clip length complications, because mathematically, anytime transitions disappears, it actually shortens the clip length by the same length of the transition. To me unfortunately that’s definitely a clip length complication. Because transitions don’t extend the length of any clip, they only ‘replace’ portions of the clip length, when transitions do disappear, the clip length shortens by the exact length of the transition.

Note: If I purposely remove the transitions, the clip length remains intact.

Transition sudden disappearance shortens clip length
A 60 second original clip with a 7 second transition added results in a 60 second clip. Whenever the 7 second transition disappears, the clip is shortened by the same 7 seconds, resulting in a 53 second clip. A 60 second clip with a 15 second transition would result in a 45 second shortened clip if the transition ever disappears.

Clip length remains intact if I purposely delete transitions
A 30 second clip with a 5 second transitions results in a 30 second total length clip. If I purposely delete the transition, the original clip length of 30 seconds remain intact. On the other hand, if the 5 second transition mysteriously disappears, the original 30 second clip will now become 25 second.

https://imgur.com/a/XEkKMEj

It’s a finicky issue — it happens every now and then but the clip length will always shorten by the transition length if for some mysterious reason the transition disappears. I only know about this because I usually have multi-stacked clips. If I have 4 stacked clips of 30 seconds each, the entire segment is 30 seconds long. With a 5 second transition effect added to stacked clip one, if the transition disappears, stacked one clip shortens by 5 second resulting in a 25 second clip length while stacked clip 2, 3, 4 remains intact at 30 seconds.

Edit: figured out how to add screenshots:

Attachments:
BB814342-1246-44F9-A3CA-6A2DABDE7410.png
BB814342-1246-44F9-A3CA-6A2DABDE7410.png [ 2.99 MiB | Viewed 464 times ]

Last edited by strawberryshortcake on Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:00 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Right. I can’t claim any expertise with transitions but I do know that when I used to add a dissolve transition between clips I found it was best to do this as a final step in the project.
(I still quite like dissolve transitions but to me LumaFusion’s always seemed to flash a bit compared to say iMovie)
I am finding that a transition within the start or end of a clip (rather than between clips) will move with the clip if it is in an upper track but will disappear if it is in the main track. I’d suggest you report exactly what you’ve said direct to the developers (address above). They don’t monitor this forum.
And just in case you aren’t aware there is an option in settings “ripple main track for transition insert”
Sorry I’m not much help overall.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good advice Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
Right. I can’t claim any expertise with transitions but I do know that when I used to add a dissolve transition between clips I found it was best to do this as a final step in the project.
(I still quite like dissolve transitions but to me LumaFusion’s always seemed to flash a bit compared to say iMovie)
I am finding that a transition within the start or end of a clip (rather than between clips) will move with the clip if it is in an upper track but will disappear if it is in the main track. I’d suggest you report exactly what you’ve said direct to the developers (address above). They don’t monitor this forum.
And just in case you aren’t aware there is an option in settings “ripple main track for transition insert”

Your responses were actually helpful even if not a direct solution to the problem.

1. You shed light on the ability for multi-track selection. I was still using a band-aid fix to move large sections prior to this. I would create one long ‘base’ layer of say 10 minute long of empty nothings, then stacked real clips on top of it. https://imgur.com/a/RwIi1Up

2. Possibly using iMovie to do transitions to weed out the flash on dissolve. I also considered maybe waiting until the end to add transitions.

3. Yep, I sent an email yesterday to developers.

Edit: figured out how to add screenshots with using Imgur:

Attachments:
EF021ABD-67E1-4288-9CD5-1C48F376360B.png
EF021ABD-67E1-4288-9CD5-1C48F376360B.png [ 2.22 MiB | Viewed 464 times ]

Last edited by strawberryshortcake on Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:23 pm 
Novice
Novice

So I’ve been experimenting with ‘segment bookend’ and it seems to have possibly solved my issues of disappearing transitions ... for the time being. Either place bookends before and after segments with transitions, the segment that is being manipulated, or segments where you intend to drop/paste clips.

Side note: That A| is my way to highlighting segments. A| is simply a screenshot created in procreate or any other program. Or you can use screenshots of colored shapes or markers as well, etc. Just make sure to crop it if using color markers so the scene is still visible. I know LumaFusion has their own marker feature, but my way allows me to quickly scan the timeline without needing to click on it.

Attachments:
ACACB53C-8C5E-4228-9834-0D49D45ACB3C.jpeg
ACACB53C-8C5E-4228-9834-0D49D45ACB3C.jpeg [ 488.33 KiB | Viewed 590 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

Guess the "bookends" don’t really work ...

Attachments:
D44F6605-9FB6-47A0-8B7D-F1C14989DEC1.jpeg
D44F6605-9FB6-47A0-8B7D-F1C14989DEC1.jpeg [ 547.62 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

Quote:

I got in touch with official support and directed them to this thread. The rep also read your response about the dissolve flash and questioned me if I had any input on it.

I initially thought I knew what you were referring to, so I was doing a comparison. There’s a way to purposely implement a flash but also create a very subtle no flash dissolve in luma unless I’m not completely understanding you about the flash...

Imovie vs LumaFusion dissolve #1 vs dissolve #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAOzgm2 ... e=youtu.be