Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 3:12 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.2.3 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

Post subject: MXF-file format
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:57 pm 

There are app's for ios now that works and can play for example mxf-files, that is a fileformat not supported by Apple. Is it now also to expect that LumaFusion will find a way around?

/tommy

Post subject: Re: MXF-file format
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Because it's a file format not supported by Apple never say never, but there's lots of other things to do first

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:35 am 

Supporting MXF would make LumaFusion a no-brainer for many professional filmmakers as a dailies and rough cut tool as MXF is a widely used file format in the professional world.

It's the only missing feature that withholds us from using LumaFusion in our workflow. First transcoding to an Apple supported format negates the usefulness of the iPad in most professional workflows. Now that iOS 13 makes it easy to connect the iPad with external media storage there is a huge potential for apps that can use native video and audio codecs.

Personally I think it's too bad LumaTouch is not focussing on professional filmmakers by putting MXF support low on the priority list. There is already a wide range of video editing iOS apps for the consumer market and the competition may increase even more in the future.

LumaTouch could really make a difference in professional workflows.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Hans V

Welcome to the forum

How many would want it I wonder?

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:33 am 

Thanks Dave!

I guess the amount of MXF (XAVC, etc.) based workflows around the world will be in the tens of thousands, of which a substantial part will be on the acquisition side of the production chain. For camera crews, producers, editors and directors, an iPad on which they can review footage (with timecode) and do a rough cut on the go will be a great asset. The XML export to finish the cut and do effects, color grading and sound on a bigger system is already in place. It's only the 'non-Apple codecs' that aren't supported. :(

MXF and other non-iPad codecs like DNxHD and ProRes are important enough for the likes of Adobe and Videolan to make them available in Premiere Rush and VLC for the iPad. But VLC has no editing capabilities and for Premiere Rush you have to join the Adobe subscription model (which many hate). So in my (limited) view LumaFusion would be a very good match for many industry professionals if they could view and edit on their tablets in the native codecs.

Did LumaTouch do serious research on this? Maybe there is no sound business model to put any of their resources into workflows used by film and video professionals. As the people behind LumaTouch are film/broadcast software industry professionals themselves I expect them to be aware of the workflow opportunities with LumaFusion and to have a reason to stick with the prosumer market for now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Hans V

This isn't intended as a facetious answer :)

'I guess the amount of MXF (XAVC, etc.) based workflows around the world will be in the tens of thousands, of which a substantial part will be on the acquisition side...'

Probably a reasonable guess but how many of them would want/use/pay for the feature?

'MXF and other non-iPad codecs like DNxHD and ProRes are important enough for the likes of Adobe and Videolan to make them available in Premiere Rush...'

There's quite a difference in size between Adobe and Luma-Touch (hundreds I would imagine)

'Premiere Rush you have to join the Adobe subscription model (which many hate)...'

Yep many do hate subscriptions (most?)

'Did LumaTouch do serious research on this?..'

Yep a small team has to prioritise workflows

'Maybe there is no sound business model...'

See response above

'I expect them to be aware of the workflow opportunities with LumaFusion and to have a reason to stick with the prosumer market for now...'

See response above

Like I said please don't take this as a negative response to you and please continue to ask questions and make suggestions

There are many features that I would like to see myself in Luma Fusion and as a Beta Tester I can tell you that some have been added/tried/removed already

The App is still evolving and there are many features still to come/being worked on so never say never

I hope that helps/makes sense. I will make sure the developers are aware of this thread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Hans V,

Thanks for writing!

It has only become technically feasible for us to re-encode unsupported media since iOS 13 and the Files app came into existence. And that is definitely on our roadmap for sooner rather than later. Obviously, we can't use an unsupported file type without re-encoding (to a supported file type) since we purposefully rely on Apples AVFoundation to rest our engine upon. We do that because it allows us to stay up-to-date with all the enhancements they bring to the table - which is in part where we get the performance we do have.

I would surely not say this is low on our list. Relatively to everything else, re-encoding unsupported media types is actually very high.

Thanks Hans!