Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:32 am

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.3.2 is now available in the App Store

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:39 am 

Hello, All.

I am brand new (one week) to LumaTouch, and this forum. I have an old, almost full iPad Air 2, with something like 3.8 or 4 gb available. My sense is that I can create something about half that big, and then upload/offload when I need to do another project. My goal is short music videos for my friends and family, mostly YouTube for speed and convenience, and max length in the single digit minutes range; usually one to five minutes. On PCs, I am always using “save as” and “cut/paste” things that don’t really “live” in IOS, so there’s a fundamental bunch of homework I need to do, aside from the Luma app. I am experimenting with voice-over for individual instruments, and am encouraged.

Basic questions:

Is there a fast, cheap external storage preference for rendered movies? I understand from Luma support that the movie size will still be limited to around half the available ram, and that actually writing to the external options currently supported doesn’t get around that limitation; maybe addressed in the future.

Is there a cheap external mic that works best with this app? I have actually found the built-in mic to be pretty clear, but that may be my own insensitivity to audio quality. I have standard XLR mics, as well as lavaliers with
3.5mm plugs; will a cheap plug adapter let me use them with iPad’s TRRS input?

Do complex title/PnP things take huge amounts of rendering space? I have noticed that plain audio without pictures renders very quickly (of course) and wonder if a few stills as “video” would be almost as fast, since there’d be little constant compression required.

Once rendered, are all movies of a given quality and frame size the same memory per minute?

Sorry if these are inappropriate questions, but I am, as I said, a raw rookie at this.

Thanks, and regards,

David

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:35 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think you need to space up your ipad.

I have the same setup and I have a 32 gb ipad.

I always see to it that I delete unecessary apps or even it is necessary I can always download it back when I need to.

I delete videos or pictures if I do not need them and if it is important I upload it to google drive.

I see to it that I have at least 10gb space left to edit videos.

Then when it is uploaded then clean up space again.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:06 pm 

I am sure you are correct. I have been using this one little old iPad for everything for years; I will have to make some tough decisions. At least I can get some photos to the cloud and thence to flash drives, and that will help. How are renders going, time-wise, and do you have any rough idea how long a film you might make with your existing RAM?

Thanks!

David

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:04 pm 

I am sure you are correct. I have been using this one little old iPad for everything for years; I will have to make some tough decisions. At least I can get some photos to the cloud and thence to flash drives, and that will help. How are renders going, time-wise, and do you have any rough idea how long a film you might make with your existing RAM?

Thanks!

David

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Just to say that you always need more memory than you think, especially for video. For example LumaFusion stores a copy of any clip used in your project even if it is sourced from an external drive. This is to make processing faster and smoother as well as for backup.
Generally iOS will manage memory efficiently but it doesn’t necessarily optimise for your particular priorities when storage is tight. So I’d definitely support ngeyobslash’s advice to free up as much memory as possible.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks ngeyobslash and Mark ... good advice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:05 am 

Yes, indeed. Thank you.
I’m plotting reductions...

David

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Rendering is fast in lumafusion faster than premiere or fcp.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:39 pm 

Much progress!

Spent an hour and a half or so with a very helpful Apple support person, who noted that my iPad’s “system” allocation was way over what it should have been. We checked to be sure a recent backup existed, and then completely reset, then re-built via the backup. Freed lots of space. Now I have something like 7 or 8 gig available, and feel much encouraged. Strangely, only some of the extra is from not re-installing a bunch of apps. They were small. But, I am not complaining.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

David