Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 6:35 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

Post subject: Re: LAN WAN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:27 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi Rob

This what I see with 1.7.7
Attachment:
fullsizeoutput_3002.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3002.jpeg [ 194.9 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]
Tapping on the 'Wireless/Network Drives' lets me access my Synology NAS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hello Dave,

Thank you for sharing that information.
Quick question you made wifi tests for me last year, over wifi using the synology box, was this done also within the LumaFusion app ?

Regards Rob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:40 pm 
Expert
Expert

Luke this maybe of some use to us,

I was originally looking to make a test today using the Mac book hard wired to the WD mycloud.
To establish what is an actual read write possible speeds using the WD mycloud.

However Mac book has no connection port.

I did look through WD forum, people were asking about similar questions related to the my Cloud WD.
What caught my eye was a person making the test (using desktop) shared his speeds and also more importantly breaking down what in real life happened.

Here’s an extract from the page on the WD forum.

“For example, I have one computer that has a Gigabit network adapter and one that has a 10/100mb network adapter. The speeds to the My Cloud will be different. Both are connected using Cat 5e cable to my ISP provided router that has Gigabit network ports. The My Cloud is also connected to this same router.”

Regards Rob

Computer 100MB network adapter:

Attachments:
E5F98079-6C51-41BB-8146-2289AE5BB2A6.jpeg
E5F98079-6C51-41BB-8146-2289AE5BB2A6.jpeg [ 78.31 KiB | Viewed 367 times ]

Last edited by RobChisholm on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:42 pm 
Expert
Expert

Computer Gigabit network adapter:

Attachments:
A09DCD4A-8C4F-49D5-9B15-C5DB254DCFCB.jpeg
A09DCD4A-8C4F-49D5-9B15-C5DB254DCFCB.jpeg [ 78.86 KiB | Viewed 367 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:49 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Quote:
Hello Dave,

Thank you for sharing that information.
Quick question you made wifi tests for me last year, over wifi using the synology box, was this done also within the LumaFusion app ?

Regards Rob
Hi Rob

No I didn't do tests with the NAS at the time just the WD Drive

As Luke has been saying, there are so many variables that will affect speed. Since my last tests/info we've had our broadband updated to Sky Fibre so I would expect/hope they would be a lot quicker but who knows with all the other stuff that can slow things down. I must admit I am 'of the age' where as long as it up/downloads/works I'm not too impatient about the speed to be honest. I can always have a cup of tea/can of beer while it's doing its thing :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:08 pm 
Expert
Expert

The person also wrote this

“You will not get gigabit speeds over Wifi unless you have an AC Wifi router and even then you get about a max of 40 to 60MB/s speeds.”

So if I were to spend Luke and wade into achieving a faster speed to a level I consider suitable or comparable to say older fire wire. Maybe I moved on from the steam, however

These above tests are on equipment which is not based upon IOS- other words not a iPad Pro.

Ironically I was to make the tests myself using an iPad Pro read write speeds trying out a 1 gig of RAw images , then 10 gigs of video each 500 mb’s using a SSD synology, every given fastest expensive equipment provided.

This was at the I.T person I use, his area of expertise is setting up Networking, he agreed however he was not in as he was taken to AE, heart issues.

(He be ok he says, uk NHS we love you)

So unfortunately this test would have to wait, but reading the above you can throw as much money at wifi using LAN and gain fire wire speeds (that’s the 90’s)

So probably it is reasonably to suggest LAN has had very little advancements if any as people basically do not use this method as router are build for one purpose WAN.

MAX THROUGHPUT:
WIRELESS-G - 54 MBPS
WIRELESS-N - 600-900 MBPS
WIRELESS-AC - 1200-5300 MBPS

So at best I maybe (desk top yes, IOS unknown ) better the wireless G router while in LAN using an iPad Pro.

Regards Rob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:26 pm 
Expert
Expert

Thank you Dave,

For clearing that up, I like to know is your fibre to the door or to a little green box then copper cable to your door ?

I believe you do not live in UK (very rare to have fiber to the door in the UK) hence we have slow speeds.

Ps you probably bought the sky hub router the flat looking one ?
Just enquiring re costs you pay ?
As I message sky today about costs ( I am with sky) on line message serves was unable to answer how much is the newer router and yes no fiber at this post code.

Ps the speeds not that important IE we have copper cable and the test now shows download 20 megs.
Using WAN with the sky router hub, it is the LAN while looking through the wifi drives using the LAN I am interested in making say 20 megs without much hassles.

The story blocks and my local video is well additive now, I cannot see myself wishing to go back to hard wired.

Using the interface of LumaFusion picking up a file over wifi very very useful, however lag times are for ever in LAN, hence preview is like USB 1 speeds, where as using the same kit mentioned above, interface in story blocks using WAn is a joy to use.

Regards Rob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:10 am 
Adept
Adept

Rob, I'm not interested in wasting time on losing options, because a 4.6 GB video file processed on a MacBook Pro is transferred to iPad Pro via a wired USB3 connection and iTunes Sharing in exactly 35 seconds. While the same file, stored in a backup on a home server (from which I currently am at a distance of 1000 kilometers), is downloaded over a 50 megabit WAN in 15 minutes (measured now especially for you).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:24 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Rob

It’s fibre to the green box at the end of the road then copper

It’s a Sky router - they supplied a better one when we changed to Sky Q but no idea what it is

Just tell them you’re thinking of leaving because of slow speeds and going to BT (even if you can’t get anyone else in your area)

And you live on a small island off the coast of Europe too ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:46 am 
Expert
Expert

Hi Dave and Luke,

thank you for the advise,

Strange Luke your unable to make a simple LAN test and keep referring to WAN, which is not anything I am interested in at this point in time.

So thank you for making a test using WAN. (Did I perhaps miss read your information ?)

Here is some more information which may help or interest others re LAN.

LAN TESTING https://support.netanalyzer.techet.net/ ... eed-tester

I made a test using Black magic disc speed test app (free)

It read, writes for you.
I tested SSD on the lap top here, wow its fast.

Next tested LAN on WD over wifi, 6hrs 45 later, testing 1 Gig and the Black magic was not working, or rather it was still testing the WD.

Time to quite and take the advise of the I.T person trust and use.

So as I mentioned before I will make a personal test of transferring say a 1 gig file to and from ----

1. Ipad Pro (4 gigs RAM)

2. LAN only

3. Synology box with SSD

4. Other kit I list later as the I.T person quoted a whole list of items of which meant not a lot to myself.

Once done I post a video here of the actual event with some real time how long to transfer using only LAN.

I also use the LumaFusion interface and scroll through video files see how it looks and works.

Regards Rob

PS Dave which little island are you on ? sounds idilic to me