Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:11 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.0 is now available in the App Store. This is a massive new update that doubles the number of tracks for video and audio, streamlines the user interface, and much more.

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

Post subject: LAN WAN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:05 am 
Master
Master

LAN (local area network)
WAN (worldwide area network)

I just have to ask, I cannot help myself, I know it has been talked about before, but I just have to ask.
In case someone has the knowledge, or even maybe likes a challenge?

How can I increase the performance of my LAN?

As you probably already know you can import directly while in LumaFusion some HD contents.
Gnarbox, WD the ones over wifi that’s cool.

Here in my home listed building internet restricted so I keep all my videos on a mycloud HD.
Transfer video clips from the library directly into LumaFusion, this I can even do when away.

All I wish to aim for is to be able to increase the transfer over wifi in LAN to the speeds of say USB 3

Your ideas welcome

Regards Rob

Post subject: Re: LAN WAN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:27 am 
Master
Master

LAN

Attachments:
729EF194-B875-4C03-9AC7-38DA0AE72C03.jpeg
729EF194-B875-4C03-9AC7-38DA0AE72C03.jpeg [ 2.16 MiB | Viewed 746 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:14 pm 
Adept
Adept

The actual speed of the gigabit network over the wire is about 600-700 megabits/s and USB3 - less than 4 gigabit/s.
Wi-Fi - even slower wired ethernet.
And the specific result depends on the quality of hardware architecture.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:37 pm 
Master
Master

This is off the WD site Luke,

I’m on the 2.4 GHz router any ideas welcome.

Regards Rob

Attachments:
3ABAA328-920D-46F8-A98A-0701CF5C8BB9.jpeg
3ABAA328-920D-46F8-A98A-0701CF5C8BB9.jpeg [ 507.44 KiB | Viewed 711 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:46 pm 
Master
Master

Current speeds using my cloud with app file browser

Regards Rob

Attachments:
6F5D9D71-A150-40BA-9DF7-B3141DBFAB55.jpeg
6F5D9D71-A150-40BA-9DF7-B3141DBFAB55.jpeg [ 663.96 KiB | Viewed 709 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:07 pm 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
Current speeds using my cloud with app file browser

Regards Rob
Rob, first thing you should so is ditch your 2.4 GHz router , buy a better one that does 5GHz, and has double or triple bands. That should start to Get you a better speed on wireless. Get a broadband speed test app and SEE where in the house will you Get the best speeds. Maybe you have to reposition your wireless router or access points, to Get better speeds from where you usually are sitting and uploading/downloading your Clips/Footage.

I have attached a screenshot of a Speedtest (By Ookla) i did on my wireless network from my iPad. None of the kids where using the Internet while i did the speedtest so that Helped. :D

Attachments:
File comment: Speedtest
446E12CC-E39F-4984-9E3A-F3519BC9B792.png
446E12CC-E39F-4984-9E3A-F3519BC9B792.png [ 634.99 KiB | Viewed 704 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:26 pm 
Master
Master

Hello StonedEdit,

Here’s my test over WAN - is your test LAN or WAN ?

I have written on the screen grab some information.

If your using LAN wow in the Netherlands it’s so much faster I’m jealous.

Do tell me more please.

Ps StonedEdit, hope to see some review videos of the new camera you bought please.
The man from NZ here in the forum made a very good review, maybe you can add more information please.

Regards Rob

Attachments:
D502BF1D-95C0-4749-970D-CA37820EDA58.jpeg
D502BF1D-95C0-4749-970D-CA37820EDA58.jpeg [ 942.7 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:15 am 
Adept
Adept

Rob, we don't know your exact data, which is what determines the final wi-fi speed. Starting with a specific model of your router (or access point to which the iPad is connected). This is not a challenge as you define it. This is more like inviting a fortune teller. What you described is called “give me a big red magic button” :-)

The only thing that can be advised is - as StoneEdit said, buy yourself a normal router. For example:
:arrow: Asus RT-AC68U
and change the firmware in it to this one:
:arrow: RT-AC68U_384.9_0

Or this one:

HTH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:55 am 
Master
Master

Hi Luke,

Over wifi to you iPad Pro ? Can you tell me your read write speeds to and from a hard drive in your home please?

Here I am using mycloud WD which is plugged into my 2.4 router.
The distance is 4 feet away. (ipad to router)

WD mycloud stats say with a 2.4 and or 5ghz router (from memeory 2/3 megs and 5/7 megs)
I need to find the screen grab on WD site and post but be sure is it not over 10 mbs with a 5 ghz router.

I have asked a more knowledgeable friend of mine, he said in an email (but did not state the OS - he probably referring to his Mac mini server to his symbology box SSD )

His words were “ my speed is 71/18 and that’s not cheap, fast enough for what I need to do” this is over wifi in home read write speeds.

He would have more that an average kit as his job networking IT.

With regards to StoneEdit I think he was posting a screen grab of wifi over wan ?
Which I not wishing to increase it is the lan speeds I wish to address why their so slower ? Than wan.

To date no one been able to answer this question.

Regards Rob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:30 pm 
Adept
Adept

Rob, what exactly model of the router do you use?

Connecting the HDD directly to the router is not the most correct way, because routers have very weak processors, and data transmission via USB protocol uses certain processor resources. Generally speaking, the correct practice is not to load the router with any additional tasks except important gateway and wireless ones: connection with the provider, firewall, gateway to the local network, DHCP server, Wi-Fi access point. All tasks beyond these are simply overloading the weaker hardware of the router, which is why it heats up more and works more unstable.
Even as a LAN switch, it is better not to use a router, but to buy a high-speed switch.

In the context of IT, you need to learn how to cook properly.
You're not putting fish in compote, are you?

I do not need to transfer large files via Wi-Fi. I do it through the wire. It is faster and more reliable. But in the case of wired connections you need to choose the most effective methods available to you. I have already shown here how and at what speed I import video files of several gigabytes and even tens of gigabytes into the iPad. For such purposes, I use Samsung SSD connected to the iPad Pro via an external powered hub.
And Synology NAS I use to store archives and libraries of media materials.
But the NAS is connected to a local switch in two gigabit ports. When organizing a RAID-10 array, this provides a wired network write speed from MacBook Pro to Synology of about 120 megabytes/sec. The reading speed from NAS is naturally higher.

To speed up the processing of imported video on the iPad, I turn off iCloud Photos before connecting the SSD and turn it on after the file is imported into LumaFusion, that is, before exporting the result.