Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:05 am 
Adept
Adept

This question is for those People well aquainted With making slow motion videos.
Now, I have created footage while im round and about, and just filmed in 4K, 25fps (im in Europe)
And while later editing the footage, thinking, that Clip will be good to show in slow motion, but since i filmed it in 25 fps, it will not look that good.

My question is:
Should I ALWAYS (or for the most part) just record footage in 50 fps ?
This so that whenever I want to slow down a clip, I can do so without any problems?

I have no idea what would be the best way to do this, so any input is greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:23 am 
Adept
Adept

Ok, I googled a little, and learned you should use different speeds (fps) to capture different Things. Walking People, use 50 of 60 fps. People and animals running, 100 or 120 fps, and faster sports and stuff, 240 fps and so on.

So thats good, but my question to you still stands. Actually if you record always lets say in 50 or 60 fps, and then just want to have it display at normal speeds, then you would have to speed up the footage I Guess, and that may not be so easy to get correct in LumaFusion?

[UPDATE]: I just thought of you also have audio, if you record in 50 or 60 fps, and then slow it down to 25 or 30 fps, what happens to the audio then?
The audio is probably not synced anymore, and I would end up With a range of problems?

Anyone With experience With these Things?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:01 am 

In http://forums.luma-touch.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7455:
Quote:
Hey Hans,

Thank you! I shot in 4K 50fps and then slowed the footage down to 1/2 speed on a 25fps timeline. I then rendered it in 4K, 25 FPS and 50 mbit.

Hopes this helps.
Have you asked Albert? Maybe he has experience with slow motion and audio.

Hans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:47 am 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
In http://forums.luma-touch.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7455:
Quote:
Hey Hans,

Thank you! I shot in 4K 50fps and then slowed the footage down to 1/2 speed on a 25fps timeline. I then rendered it in 4K, 25 FPS and 50 mbit.

Hopes this helps.
Have you asked Albert? Maybe he has experience with slow motion and audio.

Hans
I haven't! But thanks for pointing out his reply. There might be hope then! I will have to try this myself and then see how it goes. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:59 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
Ok, I googled a little, and learned you should use different speeds (fps) to capture different Things. Walking People, use 50 of 60 fps. People and animals running, 100 or 120 fps, and faster sports and stuff, 240 fps and so on.

So thats good, but my question to you still stands. Actually if you record always lets say in 50 or 60 fps, and then just want to have it display at normal speeds, then you would have to speed up the footage I Guess, and that may not be so easy to get correct in LumaFusion?

[UPDATE]: I just thought of you also have audio, if you record in 50 or 60 fps, and then slow it down to 25 or 30 fps, what happens to the audio then?
The audio is probably not synced anymore, and I would end up With a range of problems?

There’s no rules to how many frames per second you should use for different scenes or subjects, at least in my book. Use the frame rate according to what kind of look you want to your video. Cinema is usually 24fps, TV is usually 25-30fps and sports is usually 50-60fps.

If you drop a 50fps clip on the timeline it will displayed in real time, 50 frames per second. If you want it in slow motion you’ll have to go in to clip properties and select, for example, 1/2 speed. It will then play in 25 frames per second, or 50% slow motion.

Audio of clips converted to slow motion will also be played in slow motion. Hello will become hhheeeelllloooo :) Unless you separate the audio from the video clip before converting it to slow motion, but then the audio and video will become out of sync.

Did that makes sense? I’m no teacher, that’s for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:14 am 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
Quote:

There’s no rules to how many frames per second you should use for different scenes or subjects, at least in my book. Use the frame rate according to what kind of look you want to your video. Cinema is usually 24fps, TV is usually 25-30fps and sports is usually 50-60fps.

If you drop a 50fps clip on the timeline it will displayed in real time, 50 frames per second. If you want it in slow motion you’ll have to go in to clip properties and select, for example, 1/2 speed. It will then play in 25 frames per second, or 50% slow motion.

Audio of clips converted to slow motion will also be played in slow motion. Hello will become hhheeeelllloooo :) Unless you separate the audio from the video clip before converting it to slow motion, but then the audio and video will become out of sync.

Did that makes sense? I’m no teacher, that’s for sure.
OK, thanks for input! Yes, IT did make sense. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:43 am 
Expert
Expert

Hi StoneEdit,

This area is like green screening.

Appears simple yet is all about the preparation.

Can you let us all know your said project you have in mind please.
Which cameras you are using and I can advise more with details.

Here’s an example using step up rings filmed with a dvd at 25 frames

Somewhere in the video list3n out for the bee and slow mo - ps bees flap wings high speeds

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:25 pm 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
Hi StoneEdit,

This area is like green screening.

Appears simple yet is all about the preparation.

Can you let us all know your said project you have in mind please.
Which cameras you are using and I can advise more with details.

Here’s an example using step up rings filmed with a dvd at 25 frames

Somewhere in the video list3n out for the bee and slow mo - ps bees flap wings high speeds

Nice makro work there Rob!
I dont have a specific Project now, but just Asked so i can be preparere the next time i will use slow motion. I Aldo just got the DJI Osmo Pocket, so have to learn a few ropes there AS well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:33 am 
Expert
Expert

Ok StonedEdit,

DJI Osmo Pocket Now you have my attention SE.
So reviews videos let’s roll them out, feed back please.

It the sort of item I use in work on the hill filming my classes.
May even work Velcro to the risers of the paraglider and retain steady shots.

How longs the battery life ?
And it can shot 30 and 60 in 4 K ? 100 frames maybe ?

Here Is a project for you, get a milk bottle plastic, fill with water hang from a point put a pinhole in the milk bottle. then have a bowl below with water and now the water will drip and make a splash film this in slow motion and then post here please.

Regards Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:11 pm 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
Ok StonedEdit,

DJI Osmo Pocket Now you have my attention SE.
So reviews videos let’s roll them out, feed back please.

It the sort of item I use in work on the hill filming my classes.
May even work Velcro to the risers of the paraglider and retain steady shots.

How longs the battery life ?
And it can shot 30 and 60 in 4 K ? 100 frames maybe ?

Here Is a project for you, get a milk bottle plastic, fill with water hang from a point put a pinhole in the milk bottle. then have a bowl below with water and now the water will drip and make a splash film this in slow motion and then post here please.

Regards Rob
IT is a great little camera. IT is so small, ITS quite amazing actually. Battery can Last around two hours on 1080p i think. And a little over 1 hour with 4K. Yes, IT can record in 4K 30 and 60 FPS.
For 120 FPS you have to record in 1080p.
IT has great panorama modes, and object tracking, time and motion lapskaus. IT has PRO mode, manual modes, but you ned to connect your phone to enable IT. Though rumours say a firmware versjon coming in february, letting you Access pro mode without the phone, and Also cineform picture profile. You can attatch ND filters and other Cool accesories AS well.
I will record dropping water for you, just have to wait a few days.