Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:11 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:03 pm 

I just finished a fairly sizable edit on my new iPad Pro 12.9”. The final cut was around 18 minutes compiled from a pool of approximately 85 GB of footage. All in all l, I was pretty impressed with LumaFusion. If anybody from the dev team is listening, the only things I really missed from FCPX was markers (or the ability to issue cuts while the timeline is playing) and stabilization. I know there are 3rd party stabilization apps, but I wasn’t happy with the video quality Emulsio output. Stabilization was good, but the output video just looked bad.

Anyway! Now that I’m done, I want to clear off my iPad and set up for another project but I’m struggling to get the large (approximate 45gb) archive off of my iPad. Currently I have the file in the Rendered Videos folder underneath LumaFusion in the Files app. Ideally, I’d like to plugin an external hard drive and move the file on to it, but I don’t think iOS allows that.

What’s the best/fastest option here? Uploading to a cloud service and back down again just to move it to an external archive disk I have is very slow (45gb.). I tried exporting the archive directly to an SMB share but LumaFusion crashes every time I attempt that.

How do you folks “clean up” after a project?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:40 pm 

I found a workable solution. I just discovered that the Files app can move files from one sandbox to another. So I moved the file out of the LumaFusion sandbox and into a sandbox for an app called FileExplorer. FileExplorer has the ability to move content to an SMB drive. I think that’s going to work out fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:27 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I would have used your solution

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:19 am 

I'm thinking of getting into editing on ipad with lumafusion. The above solution looks great for transferring files out to a hard drive. My question is, how do we handle projects if we need to make later edits?

Apologies, as I'm a bit new to Luma, but I'll clarify;

1. I have a file to edit. Say, a screen recording in my camera roll
2. Once I edit it, I have a project in lumafusion, and an edited file that I'll export
3. Via the process above, I can move the original file and the edited file to a hard drive.

It's at this point that I'm uncertain.

1. I'm guessing the project can remain in lumafusion with fairly minimal file space needed. Is this correct?
2. If I want to make later edits, is it as simple as moving the original source file back to my camera roll, or do I need to do something
3. Are there any other ways of doing this that don't involve moving files back and forth? For instance, I've read about Gnarboxs as a storage solution, but I'm not sure if you can edit on them directly

I'll be making projects that require periodic corrections, hence I'll need an easy way to make edits now and again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:27 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:

I'll be making projects that require periodic corrections, hence I'll need an easy way to make edits now and again.

From within a LumaFusion project you can reference a file from the camera roll directly (sources/photos/) which doesn’t make a copy of the file to LF. As iOS can sometimes be a little weird with its internal file handling, naming etc. I am pretty sure it will NOT name a file the same way after having the file exported to some external 3rd party storage and reimported to the camera roll, so your reference in the LF project will be broken. But I would never do this so maybe someone else can clarify this point.

However, when importing a file to LF - which means you can find it in sources/import/sourceName/ - LF will have its private copy of the file, hence when archiving out an entire project LF will have the project, including all its files, consolidated into one project archive file.

That makes it easy to import an archived project later on for another editing session without having to worry about external references!

And as editing is completely non-destructive you will always have access to your original unedited file. In the rare cases of really altering the original file like reversed playback e.g. LF will automatically create a new reversed file for you but also keep the original unedited version around, including a reference to it from the project, even if you don’t use the un-reversed version in the project, just to make sure everything can be restored and accessed correctly further down the line...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:37 am 
Adept
Adept

mramosch is correct. When a media file is copied into the Photos app from another source location, IOS names the file with the current time stamp.

I did a little test and copied the same file back and forth between a folder in iCloud Drive and the Photos app. Each time the file was copied to the Photo app, the file was renamed. See screenshot below.

You might find this helpful also. Tip - Better Project Media Organization

Attachments:
8F5E2DD5-174B-4124-A977-7C705C059C47.jpeg
8F5E2DD5-174B-4124-A977-7C705C059C47.jpeg [ 251.69 KiB | Viewed 310 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:34 pm 

Thanks, that was extremely useful! So to sum up:

1. This method removed the originals from the Photos app. But, unedited originals are still available within the Lumafusion project file
2. This project file can be easily moved to Dropbox or an external drive. In the case of the latter, via the File Explorer app mentioned previously.

Are there any external drives that allow direct editing of Lumafusion projects?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:26 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

———

LF does NOT delete/touch any photos in the Photos App. If you use one of them (source/photos) LF holds a reference to those EXTERNAL files but does not have a private copy of them in its own UserMedia folder in the Files App, where all of LF’s media, projects and presets live. If you delete them in the Photos App the external references in LF go blind.

In case you work with files that are in the LF UserMedia folder in the Files App then they are owned by Luma. Everytime you import an object to LF by using ‘OpenIn...LumaFusion’ in any other app these objects are private to LF. They are copies, so are also still available in the source application where you sent them to LF from. To get rid of these original objects you have to go to the ‘owning’ source app and delete them there.

In case you made a copy from somewhere within the Files app to the LF folder in the Files app you also do have 2 copies and can manage them to your liking.

Using the Export facility in LF to create a Project Archive gives you a list with all the possible destinations for your archive. Give it a try in LumaFusion or read the manual if anything shouldn’t be clear, which I don’t think it’ll be...

Regarding external drives:

If you connect anything to the port of your device or an Apple dongle, it will only be available through a native app for your connected accessory or the Photos App.

Unless LumaFusion does team up with 3rd party storage space providers everything physically connected to your iDevice is sandboxed and not accessible through LF. However, LumaFusion provides SMB server connectivity to talk to external drives via WiFi. Have a look in the Manual or on the LF homepage for supported devices.

And reading the manual does also help a lot and is essential for effectively operating an advanced versatile application like LumaFusion... ;-)

There is already a new one out for the latest LF release 1.7 (as of October 2018).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:53 pm 

Oops, sorry. I had meant to write "this method *allows* the files in photos to be deleted". Small change with a big difference in meaning. And, excellent, I'll look into the wifi connection for externals. Thanks!