Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:47 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:13 pm 

I am planning to upgrade my iPhone X to an iPhone XS Max 512 GB to get more screen estate for Lumafusion but will Lumafusion use the whole screen?

Also I am planning to upgrade iPad Pro 10.5 to iPad Pro 12.9 2018 512 GB, It is note same aspects ratio as iPad 11 2018 and iPad 12.9 is more square and I don't really like that. Will LumaFusion 1.7 use full Screen on iPad 12.9 2018?

I looooooove LumaFusion!!!!!!!!

I have WD my passport wireless pro and it is so slooooow. it take ages.....not fun.
Waiting for Gnarbox 2.0 SSD.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:13 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The 11” model is the first iPad ever that has no 4:3 aspect ratio. It’s something like 10:7

The 12.9” makes very good use of the screen real estate.

BTW: All iPad apps make use of the entire screen, the application window is always full screen except when iOS multitasking kicks in. If an app isn’t well prepared for a certain form factor buttons and other UI elements may be off, but the application itself is always full screen.

As for speed:

https://youtu.be/hYlie9DiD7A

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:38 pm 

Quote:
The 11” model is the first iPad ever that has no 4:3 aspect ratio. It’s something like 10:7

The 12.9” makes very good use of the screen real estate.

BTW: All iPad apps make use of the entire screen, the application window is always full screen except when iOS multitasking kicks in. If an app isn’t well prepared for a certain form factor buttons and other UI elements may be off, but the application itself is always full screen.

As for speed:

https://youtu.be/hYlie9DiD7A
Thank you
Ok I could see it was using full screen and it looks good.
Sadly it was no performance increase as to rendering a 4K video compared to the old model.
But it was not clear if it was new Lumafusion 1.7. Hopefully an update will use all cores

Last edited by StefanSW on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:11 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:

Thank you
Sadly it was no performance increase as to rendering a 4K video compared to the old model.
But it was not clear if it was new Lumafusion 1.7. Hopefully an update will use all cores

LumaFusion v1.7 will definitely not change anything because it was already submitted to the AppStore for approval before the new iPad got released by Apple.

In addition to that I don’t think that this is a Luma programming issue to make use of the multi core processors. You usually handle execution over to iOS GrandCentralDispach queues which asynchronously distribute tasks to the processor cores. In this framework developers don’t do multi threading manually anymore. It’s the OS that has to optimize execution and distribution...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:18 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you

LumaFusion v1.7 will definitely not change anything because it was already submitted to the AppStore for approval before the new iPad got released by Apple.

In addition to that I don’t think that this is a Luma programming issue to make use of the multi core processors. You usually handle execution over to iOS GrandCentralDispach queues which asynchronously distribute tasks to the processor cores. In this framework developers don’t do multi threading manually anymore. It’s the OS that has to optimize execution and distribution...
Well I have a different opinion when it comes to using multiple cores. Like perhaps using lower levels APIs or some times NSOperation can give your more control than GCD. But perhaps you are a better expert. Then I rest my case.

And I also talked about hopefully an update in the future of 1.7 will make better use of the cores.

Time will tell. Or LumaFusion will tell. Until then I keep my fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:18 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wasn’t actually talking about GCD per se but rather in general about centralized thread distribution of the OS. NSOperation of course gives you a little more access and control over the timing of ‘parallel’ execution but finally it’s the OS that distributes tasks to the low level cores.

In case of Audio/Video applications like LumaFusion their engine is surely centered around AVFoundation and this is a very high level framework that gives you a lot of possibilities to manipulate your media but eventually you are bound to render callback blocks and do pretty much depend on the mercy of the OS doing its multi threading job well.

But let’s hope that the good folks over at LumaTouch do their best to take advantage of the latest developments and give us some beefy updates for our mobile devices ;-)

Last edited by mramosch on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:41 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hello Stefan,

When you say slooooow are we talking 1 Gig in say 6 mins or under ?
Just asking as I was wondering if to buy the WD version, however I liked the idea of gnar box and it’s ability to trim clips before editing. (any news on gnar box version 2 release date ?)

Bit like what I am used to in Final Cut, no point in bringing the whole clip over LAN - welll not until they improve speeds.

Amazing 40 mbs a second here, over wifi - LAN 1 Gig over LAN 10 MINS.

I have WD my passport wireless pro and it is so slooooow. it take ages.....not fun.

Regards Rob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:35 pm 

Quote:
Hello Stefan,

When you say slooooow are we talking 1 Gig in say 6 mins or under ?
Just asking as I was wondering if to buy the WD version, however I liked the idea of gnar box and it’s ability to trim clips before editing. (any news on gnar box version 2 release date ?)

Bit like what I am used to in Final Cut, no point in bringing the whole clip over LAN - welll not until they improve speeds.

Amazing 40 mbs a second here, over wifi - LAN 1 Gig over LAN 10 MINS.

Regards Rob
It seems a bit faster on LumaFusion 1.7
It takes lik 30 seconds to place a 33 second (433mb) clip one time line from the WD, until you get real clip and not preview. Perhaps WD SSD is faster.

Also to export/upload a 1 min project with total media (4 GB) took 15 minutes.

Still not so fast but as a backup media it is OK.

Gnarbox 2.0 hopefully January (I did pay without guarantee for getting one)

btw. This is what another person recommended me:

With regard to the best external storage device, there are only two choices that provide the ability to preview clips before downloading onto the iPad. They are the WesternDigital MyPassport wireless Pro HD or SSD and the GNARBOX. Another form of external storage doesn't allow you to preview it before downloading.

I think you should choose what best suites your needs as a videographer. In general, if you shoot very long clips (in the region of 10 minutes and longer), the GNARBOX might be a better solution as it allows you to download smaller sections of the large clips to LumaFusion. If, like me you rarely shoot anything longer than 2 minutes, the WD wireless Pro SSD is a great choice. Both these drives allow you to back up your SD card which is really great.
The GNARBOX currently has a 4Gbyte file size limit and that could also be an issue. They are going to change that in the future when they bring out their v2.0.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:47 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hello Stefan,

May I just clarify please.

Is that 33 seconds for the clip to load into and be edited?
(SSD will speed up by an amount, I can find out if you wish) Knobby Dave made some tests earlier this year on speeds.

Export appears to take for ever 4 GB’s 15 mins wow !

I am using WD mycloud 5,400 rpm over local area network, I think I am 1 Gig at 6 mins.
FireWire old tech will do 80 megs both ways on old drives.

Regards Rob

<seems a bit faster on LumaFusion 1.7
It takes lik 30 seconds to place a 33 second (433mb) clip one time line from the WD, until you get real clip and not preview. Perhaps WD SSD is faster.

Also to export/upload a 1 min project with total media (4 GB) took 15 minutes.>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:38 am 

Quote:
Hello Stefan,

May I just clarify please.

Is that 33 seconds for the clip to load into and be edited?
(SSD will speed up by an amount, I can find out if you wish) Knobby Dave made some tests earlier this year on speeds.

Export appears to take for ever 4 GB’s 15 mins wow !

I am using WD mycloud 5,400 rpm over local area network, I think I am 1 Gig at 6 mins.
FireWire old tech will do 80 megs both ways on old drives.

Regards Rob

<seems a bit faster on LumaFusion 1.7

Also to export/upload a 1 min project with total media (4 GB) took 15 minutes.>
Yes 33 seconds to load clip fully. A preview is very quick but there is limited editing you can do with clip in pre-view state. I was looking at WD My Passport SSD but it seems many companies stopped selling it in Sweden, don't know why. So I did put my money on Gnarbox 2.0 515 GB. Keepmy fingers crossed.

If it was possible to connect my Samsung SSD disk to USB-C on the new iPad and access files from LumaFusion and store projects there, I would not hesitate to get new 12.9 iPad Pro 2018 (then with 256 GB instead of 512 GB as I am planning to get). But Apple don't seem keen on letting us users be able to use external storage that easy. That is one of the disadvantages with Apples ecosystem. They look you in for good and bad.
Perhaps the app FileBrowser could be used? Anyone that knows?