Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:17 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:18 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

675 MB video sent from an iPad 12.9” (2017) iOS 11.4.1 to an iPad mini 2nd gen. iOS 9.3.1 in 3 minutes 50 seconds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:35 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

And Rob,

that WiFi has to be turned on on your iDevice doesn’t necessarily mean you have to be connected to any WiFi Router (e.g. at home).

iDevices can create their own hotspot for AirDropping...

So if you want to be sure that your iDevice is the bottleneck and not your WiFi Router, switch off the Router and let your two devices connect without any other devices involved in the connection.

Bluetooth and WiFi MUST be switched ON on both iDevices!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:17 pm 
Adept
Adept

The actual size of the video that I Airdropped in 1 minute 48 seconds was 455 MB.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:35 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
The actual size of the video that I Airdropped in 1 minute 48 seconds was 455 MB.

Thanks a lot for checking out. This actually explains the difference in exporting time between our two examples. I couldn’t imagine that my old destination device could make that much of a transaction time difference while having almost the same file size that you mentioned in your earlier post.

Last edited by mramosch on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:17 pm 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks a lot for checking out. This actually explains the difference in exporting time between our two examples. I couldn’t imagine that my old destination device could make that much of a difference while having almost the same file size that you mentioned in your earlier post.
So does anyone have a bottom line for transferring via AirDrop? Is there a hack here?

(Thanks for this discussion thread. I learned a bunch of new stuff about AirDrop.)

I will add some fuel to the fire - Starbucks usually has speedy WiFi - they did a joint deal with Google Fiber (in reality, Google rents Xfinity's lines and private labels 'em.)... does it make sense to save our transferring at their coffee shops? And here in the States, Capital One (yes, the credit card company) plans to open a ton of cafes with speedy internet access.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:04 pm 
Expert
Expert

Wow this tread gone viral :)

Just to re cap in uk at home, I transfer happily with airdrop between iPhone and iPad video of the working day.

Now in Japan the speed dropped by say 800 %.

I have airplane mode activated ( I have tried with airplane mode off, no change)

What other settings have I changed to the phone that has made this happen ?

I also test away from the router here so it rule out this

Attachments:
046E8070-AE96-4B15-BB77-D42E255BAA4C.png
046E8070-AE96-4B15-BB77-D42E255BAA4C.png [ 16.87 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:04 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Activating AirPlaneMode just simply means you’re turning off ALL radios, hence there is no WiFi, no Bluetooth and no cellular connectivity available on your devices.

If you are away from the router and still do have a result from your speed test app you must accidentally somehow still be connected to the internet because speed test apps just send a known blob of data to/from their internet servers to/from your device and measure turnaround time for upload/download. If all internet connectivity is successfully blocked (e.g.airplane mode ON) you’ll get a NaN (Not-a-Number) reported back because there is less than 0 bytes of data flow. You can’t ping or use other IP protocol utilities if there is no active IP connection.

Judging by the values in your screenshot you’re hitting the max value of some SIM card mobile provider data plan (32/8). Try to deactivate cellular data as well. I already told you above, NO other device except of your source and your target device should be involved in the Airdrop transaction!

Something external is still involved in your example, otherwise your speed test app etc. would report back differently - e.g. that there is no internet connection or NaN - if you are still getting valid results delivered you are doing something wrong with your connectivity settings!

Only you can solve this by closer investigating your devices’ settings...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:49 am 
Expert
Expert

Hi their yes I posted the screen grab of speeds.
I am using airplane mode and using the wifi.

I did test away from home and with wifi on and blue tooth on.

Note wifi was not connected to any provider, I also repeated test with airplane mode off.

Same results

Attachments:
6280EE99-811A-434C-AE78-8DDD56A67B84.jpeg
6280EE99-811A-434C-AE78-8DDD56A67B84.jpeg [ 746.96 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:02 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just to clarify terminology:

In your screenshot above ‘Airplane Mode’ is OFF - so all your application connections can freely use all the radios of your device, unless you don’t turn them individually off with the WiFi-toggle or the Bluetooth toggle below the Airplane Mode toggle.

When you ‘toggle the switch’ (or should I say ‘switch the toggle’) to the right, it gets green which means ‘Airplane Mode’ is ON. This will deactivate all your radios, which is required in airplanes.

There is no Airdrop, WAN (Internet), LAN, HandOff, Sharing etc. available when Airplane Mode is ON (green). No radios - no fun...

In your example the WiFi radio is manually turned OFF by you. So turn WiFi ON again, please!!!

In addition - in case you want to exclude any chance of a server bottleneck from your equation - you can just MANNUALY de-connect from any individual WiFi hotspot and make sure that your device does not automatically connect to another hotspot - but always keep the WiFi radio switch ON. Your device will use the WiFi antenna to create a personal hotspot for Airdrop without being connected to any additional external WiFi router. Your device IS the router, IS the hotspot then!!! Same for the Bluetooth switch! ON!!!

Wi-Fi switched OFF -> NO Airdrop
Bluetooth switched OFF -> NO Airdrop
Airplane Mode switched ON -> NO AirDrop

———

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:27 pm 
Expert
Expert

Have to write quickly, in between flights.
The image above wifi on but not connected - airdrop still slow.

Here is another image notice airplane mode on and wifi and blue tooth active, airdrop still super slow.

I have airplane mode on to avoid mobile charges, I done this on every over seas trip.
Used airdrop with success.

I suspect recent update in iOS is the issue, waiting on apples replies to the question.

Regards Rob