Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:40 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

Post subject: 16-235 or 16-255
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am 
Novice
Novice

Working with my PC NLE, I use a Flanders Scientific BM210. So, I'm working to 'legal' levels, ie 16-235. I produce educational DVDs.

I notice when I export an MPEG4 file from my timeline and open it on my iPad (I'm thinking of having the educational videos also available for tablets and phones), the video is noticeably brighter. Brighter than I would intend it.

In my quest to solve this anomaly, I found that the BM210 monitor has a 'Video Clipping' function. Normally it is set to 'Off', but when I set it to 'On', my video becomes brighter. In fact, as bright as the MPEG4 file on my iPad! The engineers at Flanders Scientific explained that the 'Video Clipping' function, when set to 'On' reveals how the video will look if a broadcaster distributes it by remapping the levels to 16-255. Broadcasters can do this to save bandwidth.

So now I have a lot of questions!!...

1. Does the iPad (and therefore LumaFusion) work at 16-255 instead of 16-235?

2. If so, perhaps I should edit and grade on my iPad, in LumaFusion, and export finished files to my PC.
In which case, perhaps the file won't look darker when played back on the PC?

3. Is there a way to limit brightness so that, while working at 16-235, if the user device changes the range to 16-255, the image won't get any brighter, ie no change?

Appreciate any light on this subject!

Shay

Post subject: Re: 16-235 or 16-255
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:33 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi Shay

I genuinely don't know the answer to your question

(I only just about understand what you're saying :D )

But, could it be to do with the brightness setting on your iPad? Is it set to auto brightness?

Or did I just not understand :oops: :oops: :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:40 pm 
Novice
Novice

You know, sometimes I get in so deep I can’t get out again! Knowing that Davinci Resolve can set all kinds of accurate export settings, I used that, instead of my normal NLE to create MPEG4 files at 'auto', 'video' and 'data' levels.

They ALL look too bright when opened on my iPad!

SO, you’re dead right! My iPad is set too bright! Over the years, with successive iPads and iPhones, and starting out with still photography, I set those devices for editing and viewing photos with plenty of 'pop'. When I started looking at movies, I got used to that brightness setting. But, actually it’s too bright. When I dial it down to look the same as my calibrated monitors, I’m back in business.

Thanks for hauling me out of a complicated mess with a simple solution! :D

Shay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:15 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

No problem Shay

I believe there is going to be some sort of ‘monitor output / calibration’ stuff at some point for you professionals to use :D

Me, I just set everything to auto usually :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:00 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

On my PC NLE, I use a histogram to make sure everything is within the 16-235 range. I don’t see any way to do this accurately yet in Luma Fusion.