Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:42 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.0 is now available in the App Store. This is a massive new update that doubles the number of tracks for video and audio, streamlines the user interface, and much more.

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

Post subject: Gnarbox Aternative?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:39 am 

My first post!.. so hello everyone.

I have iPad Pro 2018 and LumaFusion of course. I love the app.
I like the idea of Gnarbox allowing you to import only the selected part of footage sitting on your timeline without importing the original file to your ipad and eating up your storage space. My iPad is not 64gb and editing in 4K soon fills up the storage!

1. Is there a alternative hard drive or method that does the same thing as Gnarbox?

2. Also if it could be put into words, what is it Gnarbox is actually doing to prevent you having to import the whole original file and only the selected part on to your timeline? Knowing this would allow me to gather more information on the process and seek possible alternatives?

Thank you for any insight!

Post subject: Re: Gnarbox Aternative?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:54 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Luma Fusion uses the Gnarbox API for its integration

Gnarbox V2 'should' be available soon (check their web site)

WD passport is the closest alternative - but is slow(ish)

I'm waiting to see what the Gnarbox 2 has to offer

This might be of interest:

https://postperspective.com/review-mobi ... umafusion/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:59 am 

Quote:

Thank you,

Can you confirm if the WD passport allows you to only transfer the clip you are editing on the timeline like Gnarbox?, or will transfer the whole file over?

Also, useful link thank you. I cant find any release date for gnarbox 2.0? the dates i have seen has since past and its still not available?

Again thank you

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:28 pm 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you,

Can you confirm if the WD passport allows you to only transfer the clip you are editing on the timeline like Gnarbox?, or will transfer the whole file over?

Also, useful link thank you. I cant find any release date for gnarbox 2.0? the dates i have seen has since past and its still not available?

Again thank you
WD passport transfers the whole videoclip, not just your selection of a clip. This so that you if you choose to expand the clip from before its IN-point or after its OUT-point then you dont need to download the clip again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:34 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks StonedEdit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:02 pm 
Adept
Adept

I’ve had a v2 Gnarbox on order since the kickstarter. The feature where it just transfers the part of the clip marked in the trimmer is a HUGE feature! Also, you can plug it into external hard drives and do the same thing from them. This is going to be pretty revolutionary with Luma Fusion! It will certainly help the iPad Pro compete with fast laptop editing systems.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:00 am 
Master
Master

Hello Monjue,

Great question you have asked the holy grail transfer.

In a way it is like the Indiana Jones movie, he finds the knight and has to choose which cup to drink from, mean while the knight can now leave, its a one way passage, he 2,000 years old and probably cannot be bothered anymore.

In a way this is how I feel about the importing and exporting of video contents in iOS.

By the way have you tried storyblocks?

Here is an idea for you, for the moment it may help, it may not, but works for me.
Your need laptop, program mpeg streamclip (free works on PC/Mac) app astropad costs £28.99

Basically your have the laptop screen mirrored on your iPad. (astropad does this)

You open video on the laptop in mpeg streamclip mark your in and out points, export to your desired levels.

When you have edit all from your iPad sitting in the settee, your then send these by air drop to your iPad.

Or if it helps edit on the laptop and send to a my WD drive and down load later over LAN.

The above maybe a tad difficult to graps, if you wish I can make a video to help you.
Just ask.

Personally I like the Gnarbox method with in and out support function, speeds I do not know what your achieve.

If I use a session 4 go pro to wifi this means I turn the go pro into a wifi point, all that happens is a 30 seconds video shot at 720 takes about 2.5 mins to transfer - this now renders the method as useless USB 1 is quicker, plus your battery’s is depleted.

I do hope the Gnarbox function will be able to transfer at USB 3 and above.
As camera etc moves forwards so does the data size files.

The 360 I camera out and shoots at 5.7 k ! (Ipad Pro I think handles 4k ?)
So in a way the new iPad Pro out dated as of now should you wish to film with the 360 ! Camera.

My only concerns about the Gnarbox is you have to just like with the session go pro select the unit into what called wifi mode.

This now takes your iPad off line so no interaction with the WWW.

Once done you can the go to settings and select your wifi router at home and reconnect.

Gnarbox is more for the out and about trekking over mountains while in remote areas.
How many fit into this I do not know.

It is possible to connect the Gnarbox into your home router, however the LAN (local area network) is so slow your be lucky to hit 10 megs per second.

I written quite a lot above, so I leave it Their I also not spelt checked so apologies if areas are confusing, feel welcome to ask questions.

Regards Rob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:21 pm 

I've been using the WD Wireless Pro for a couple of months with Lumafusion now. And I'd like to share a few thought that might be helpful.

Here's the dimensions I look at when considering such a product.
Price
Tansfer Speed
Reliability/Stability
Durability
Compatibility
Physical Build (portability and robustness)

(anyone may add to this list so that we can have comparison in a more uniform factor)

For WD Wireless Pro 2T:
Price: vVry cpmpetitive in the tier
Tansfer Speed: Medium-low, no problem streaming 50mbps videos or raw photos; stutter and jam every 3-4 seconds when streaming videos up to 100mbps (mainly 4K); when coping clips in LumaFusion, 10 seconds video (4k) takes ~5 seconds the transfer speed is measured to be 3-8 MB/s
Reliability/Stability: Satisfactory, I'd say conparatively very reliable when copying SD card, and also reliable in LumaFusion (with support of continue download from last break-off point, so no need to start over)
Durability: Good, never really run out of juice, gives you 3-4 hours on load (using 5GHz WiFi); one thing is that it uses more power when you connect external hard drive through its USB port (which is understandable)
Compatibility: High, successfully tried with Sandisk Extreme SSD, Samsung T5, LaCie Rugged
Physical Build: Medium, you know, it's mechanical hard drive; but also didn't meet any serious issue

One trick to improve the trasnfer speed
Shutting down WD Wireless Pro's Internet throughput fuction has an positive impact on transfer speed in my experience. (probably due to less CPU load, and more bandwidth on WiFi antena dedicaed to communication with iPad)

Ways to upgrade:
GNARBOX 2.0 (SSD, HDMI output, faster processor, USB type-c)
WD Wireless PRO SSD (SSD, unclear if processor upgrades)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:10 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi corgix

Welcome to the forum

Thank you for that information

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:11 am 
Master
Master

thank you Corgix,