Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:16 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions please see our support page https://luma-touch.com/support. You can contact us from our support page, or email us directly at support@luma-touch.com.

LumaFusion 1.4.8 is now available on the App Store. This update resolves some audio preview issues as well as other bug fixes

LumaFX 2.4.3 is now available on the App Store. This fixes additional issues for iOS 9 users

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:45 pm 

Hi all,

I intend to have a desktop at home running final cut pro x that will be where I do the bulk of my work.
But there will be many times where I'm out and about where it may be helpful to produce quality no compromise videos in a pinch. Mainly 4k videos.

I'd like to know the following:

1. Does fusion's features and functionality available depend on what device you are using? I.e. iPad pro, iPhone X/8, iPhone 7, iPhone 6..?

2. What would be lacking or missing compared to fcpx?

3. How does it do on 4k videos?

4. Would the UI be exactly same, including menu options on iPad as on iphone X/8?

5. Is iPhone X feasible for serious video editing?

6. Or would you suggest a MacBook 12 or 13 pro with fcpx instead?

I am leaning towards iPhone x because the best camera u have is the one u have with u.. and same goes with video editor. My current camera is Panasonic g7 that produces excellent 4k video.. but if iPhone x is close in quality I may sell the g7. It's so easy to always have the iPhone with me but the g7 I have to make a conscious effort to bring out. Would this be advisable or is it no adequate true replacement?

But iPad 12.9 screen is nice for more real estate, less squinting, and although it uses older a10x cpu vs a11 bionic.. they may be very close in power.. plus I think iPad pro may have the gpu edge with pro motion?

Thanks in advance for your help further experienced advice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:03 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi ethanhallbeyer

1 yes
2 don’t know i’ve got no reason to need it - I’ve got LumaFusion. Do bear in mind though how long fcpx has been around compared to LumaFusion. LF is almost 1 year old, the list of things to add is very long - so it hasn’t got ‘everything’ - yet
3 fine
4 as much as the differences in screen space will allow (you can use in landscape or portrait mode)
5 I don’t know anyone with an X yet but it’s just fine on my 7 and see some of the videos on here - Tomfabinski, MarkNZL, Stitch Bateman (sorry if I’ve left people out]
6 I couldn’t tell you the last time I edited a video on my MacBook

As for the rest of your post, I think you’ve answered your own question

I’m lucky, I’ve got a 7 in my pocket so I’ve got 4k if I want it and I edit on a 10.5 Pro

You haven’t got the zoom range of a bespoke video camera. Do you need it? Only you know the answer to that one

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:44 am 

Quote:
Hi ethanhallbeyer

1 yes
2 don’t know i’ve got no reason to need it - I’ve got LumaFusion. Do bear in mind though how long fcpx has been around compared to LumaFusion. LF is almost 1 year old, the list of things to add is very long - so it hasn’t got ‘everything’ - yet
3 fine
4 as much as the differences in screen space will allow (you can use in landscape or portrait mode)
5 I don’t know anyone with an X yet but it’s just fine on my 7 and see some of the videos on here - Tomfabinski, MarkNZL, Stitch Bateman (sorry if I’ve left people out]
6 I couldn’t tell you the last time I edited a video on my MacBook

As for the rest of your post, I think you’ve answered your own question

I’m lucky, I’ve got a 7 in my pocket so I’ve got 4k if I want it and I edit on a 10.5 Pro

You haven’t got the zoom range of a bespoke video camera. Do you need it? Only you know the answer to that one

Hope that helps
Thanks for your reply. Regarding your answer to my questions #1 and #4:

#1. How do I find out what differences exist in features/functionality of Fusion, depending on what class of device and which model year of device I choose to use? (i.e. IPAD vs Iphone, PRO 10" vs 12.9", 7 vs 8 plus, etc)
#4. How do I find out how the UI and menu options would be different depending on what class of device and which model year of device I choose?

I'd like to know what I'm giving up or missing or compromising on if I go route A vs B.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:23 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ok ethanhallbeyer

It was too early in the morning when I replied :D

The answer to question 1 is ...... No ... but earlier devices are slightly slower exporting etc - sorry for the totally wrong misleading answer this morning - I'm awake now :D :D

And for 4 everything is there in every version it's just the bigger the real estate the more space you've got to display it. With a 'small' device like my iPhone 7 for example sometimes you will get a popup or menu appear over other items - but it doesn't alter the functionality

I'm not a developer (not even in the same country) but in my opinion you will be well pleased with the app which gets better with each new version

(the improvements/versions/fixes come thick and fast - I am a beta tester)

Have a look here for examples

http://www.forums.luma-touch.com/viewfo ... 806d898dd9

Have a look here for things it will do (already slightly out of date)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... T19jWZplPZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:02 am 

Thanks for your answers :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:10 pm 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
Hi all,

I intend to have a desktop at home running final cut pro x that will be where I do the bulk of my work.
But there will be many times where I'm out and about where it may be helpful to produce quality no compromise videos in a pinch. Mainly 4k videos.

I'd like to know the following:

1. Does fusion's features and functionality available depend on what device you are using? I.e. iPad pro, iPhone X/8, iPhone 7, iPhone 6..?

2. What would be lacking or missing compared to fcpx?

3. How does it do on 4k videos?

4. Would the UI be exactly same, including menu options on iPad as on iphone X/8?

5. Is iPhone X feasible for serious video editing?

6. Or would you suggest a MacBook 12 or 13 pro with fcpx instead?

I am leaning towards iPhone x because the best camera u have is the one u have with u.. and same goes with video editor. My current camera is Panasonic g7 that produces excellent 4k video.. but if iPhone x is close in quality I may sell the g7. It's so easy to always have the iPhone with me but the g7 I have to make a conscious effort to bring out. Would this be advisable or is it no adequate true replacement?

But iPad 12.9 screen is nice for more real estate, less squinting, and although it uses older a10x cpu vs a11 bionic.. they may be very close in power.. plus I think iPad pro may have the gpu edge with pro motion?

Thanks in advance for your help further experienced advice.
1. All of the features are available on both iPhone and iPad. That said, when using LumaFusion on an iPad it's easier to edit because you'll have a lot more real estate to work with. Also it is an absolute delight to edit with the Apple Pencil should you go with an iPad Pro.

2. LumaFusion is still in it's infancy. Right now you can think of it more like FCPX lite or iMovie on steroids. With multilevel track editing for both video and audio, it's more in line with a desktop editing suite. Currently however features like chromakey, masking, stabilization and tracking, are not available yet. They should be coming in a future release but aren't in the current version of LumaFusion.

3. I've only edited a few videos in 4K and I haven't had any issues with performance on an iPad Pro 10.5. I believe LumaFusion employs some sort of trickery so that while editing is easy and unrestricted almost like how FCPX uses proxy media. Instead of editing at full 4K the entire time, you edit a more compressed version but it's output at full resolution. I'm probably wrong but suffice it to say, I haven't had any performance issues.

4. The UI is very similar, just much bigger on the iPad thus making editing slightly less cramped.

5. The iPhoneX is a very powerful little device and the main benefit is you'll always have it with you. You can shoot in "raw" 4K with Filmic Pro and edit on the go with LumaFusion to get a high quality, high production value result.

6. FCPX is a very powerful editing suite that has been around for a very long time. If portability isn't an issue then you're better going with a laptop. For my workflow and the things that I film and edit, LumaFusion is more than sufficient at helping me complete my tasks. I can shot on the iPhone7plus then transfer to the iPad to edit and upload without having to carry a laptop with me.

All of this said, LumaFusion continues to evolve and adapt based on user feedback. And while it's is still a very new app in the editing space, it is a very powerful piece of software. Coupled with a selection of other apps for sound editing and stabilization you'll have a very powerful, very portable mobile editing workflow.