Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions please see our support page https://luma-touch.com/support. You can contact us from our support page, or email us directly at support@luma-touch.com.

LumaFusion 1.4.8 is now available on the App Store. This update resolves some audio preview issues as well as other bug fixes

LumaFX 2.4.3 is now available on the App Store. This fixes additional issues for iOS 9 users

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

Post subject: Suitable Hardware
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:56 pm 

Hi all,

Soon to be Luma user here, looking for hardware recommendations.

I edit videos on my 2012/3 MacBook Air (using iMovie), but that's literally the only thing I use it for. To that end, I figured it would be more practical to just use an iPad and Luma.

It looks like all iOS devices are supported, but will I benefit from a beefier iPad? Again, I'll only be using it for video editing and general media consumption, but I do plan to edit/ export 4k. Do I need the iPad Pro? Is the standard model good enough? Thoughts on storage size? Anything else I should be aware of?

Any replies are appreciated?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Suitable Hardware
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:40 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi ROBOSNAIL

You don”t “need” a Pro ... but you will benefit from one
Speed is the main thing and if, over time, more video and/or audio tracks are added to the app then you will be able to use them with ease because of the processing power

I had an iPad Air V1 until recently and it worked fine but it started getting a bit “clunky” particularly when exporting big projects

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:18 am 
Novice
Novice

Video editing is the toughest thing you can do on an iPad. For this use specifically I would get an iPad Pro 2 with 512GB RAM.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:21 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a 128gb iPad pro. the last generation 9.7 model.
128 is more than enough for me but I delete all footage off of the iPad once I'm finished with it and use dropbox for all my backups.
Unless you want to store your footage on the iPad 512gb is massively overkill, especially if you're only doing light work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:33 am 

Thanks for the responses all. My plan is to go with the most affordable option, simply because I don't envision using it for much beyond editing the occasional 10 min YouTube video (some in 4k), importing photos from my DSLR, Facebook, and light browsing.

Dave, regarding the quote below, what would you consider "big projects". I've been editing on a 2012/3 MacBook Air all this time with no issues using iMovie.
Quote:
I had an iPad Air V1 until recently and it worked fine but it started getting a bit “clunky” particularly when exporting big projects

Interested in everyone's thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:49 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi ROBOSNAIL

For me, a big project is one lasting more than 20 mins or about 5 gig in size 1080p

(people are usually bored watching any videos of mine lasting more than 10 mins :D :D )