Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:50 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions please see our support page https://luma-touch.com/support. You can contact us from our support page, or email us directly at support@luma-touch.com.

LumaFusion 1.4.8 is now available on the App Store. This update resolves some audio preview issues as well as other bug fixes

LumaFX 2.4.3 is now available on the App Store. This fixes additional issues for iOS 9 users

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:26 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm just waiting for IOS 11 to see what still works and what doesn't before committing to this type of device. I sure need one though! I do a lot of video with the audio recorded on a separate recorder. Right now that whole process of getting everything into IOS is pretty convoluted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:13 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just an update,

I bought one of these doodads a while back
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DM-WFD0 ... 0.0.HuAJPE

Its a card reader that creates a wifi hotspot and you can access the files on the card through a compatible app.
It can copy the audio files from the card to the card reader app but cant move them any further.
There is no "open in" option and the new Files app in ios11 doesn't see it.

I also contacted Leef and they said their app is not compatible with Files and wont show in the "on my ipad" section, nor do they have any plans to implement that feature.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:12 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
I also contacted Leef and they said their app is not compatible with Files and wont show in the "on my ipad" section, nor do they have any plans to implement that feature.
This is exactly why I haven’t bought such a device yet. Thanks for the update. Now that IOS 11 is in use, does anyone have a recommendation for an SD card reader with files app access?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:32 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
This is exactly why I haven’t bought such a device yet. Thanks for the update. Now that IOS 11 is in use, does anyone have a recommendation for an SD card reader with files app access?
I really just need one for audio. I can use the apple card reader for video files and I can air drop footage from my iPhone, shot with filmic pro, over to my iPad

The only alternative I can see if you were really desperate to have separate audio not recorded directly to the video file, and you didn’t have a laptop to transfer the files to your iPad, is to use a separate iOS device, like an iPod Touch, with a TTRS lav mic, and air drop the audio from that to your iPad for editing.
But that’s really going over the top.

I’m lucky that Samson provided me with their new digital GoMicMobile that connects with the lightening port and can receive two inputs from separate transmitters, but if I really prefer to record audio separately for safety.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:35 am 

This is the exact reason why it is virtually impossible to work with Apple devices. I think the whole thing is ridiculous.

I first came across Luma Fusion when researching video editing solutions when travelling. On paper Luma Fusion looks a perfect solution when used with an iPad. I even borrowed my friends iPad and was really impressed with Luma Fusion. I really have no gripes with luma Fusion, and think it's an amazing app, far ahead of the competition. It's just a shame it only works on Apple.

I just can't believe Apple devices are so popular. Yes the hardware is decent, but they treat you like a little child. How can something like an iPad not have free read and write access to external media, without getting involved with convoluted workarounds? For any device I buy, I expect to be able to transfer files at will to any external devices I choose. I don't want some stupid sandbox solution. I don't want to rely on the cloud either (mainly for data security / privacy reasons and practicability when travelling in remote areas). It's just crazy having to think about wireless SD card readers and wait for unstable jailbreaks etc.

I really wanted to go the Luma Fusion route for portability when travelling, but the limitations of Apple made this impossible. I now have a Dell XPS 15, which I run windows and Linux on.

I really hope they make a Luma Fusion for something like Android in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:39 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yup, it's a pain in the a** alright.
The reason I chose an ipad is because I find the build quality so great. Anything apple I've gotten has outlived other phones and devises 10 fold.
But you're right. we really shouldn't be trying to find a workaround. Especially with an iPad pro. Not very "Pro" is it. I can understand the reasoning for phones but the ipad shouldn't be so limited.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:54 am 
Novice
Novice

I’ve been using both Android and Apple tablets (currently Samsung Galaxy Note 12 and iPad Pro 512 12.1) and must say that there is no comparison. iPads, especially the iPad Pro, are orders of magnitude more powerful than anything in the Android world. Here are two things the iPad Pro does exceptionally well: Editing highly compressed videos and working with low latencies.

Let’s take the latency first. I have lost some hearing and I have the same hearing aid app on both formats. With the Android version, there is a delay of a half second or so between when a sound is picked up with a microphone and when you hear it. With the iPad, the delay is short enough that you don’t notice it. Huge difference if you are also working with music apps like Auria.

The biggest thing though is the graphics and processor speed. With Luma Fusion, I can work with highly compressed HEVC video and add correction and transitions and everything is really smooth and fast at a decent resolution. With my I7/nVidia graphics laptop, I have to put the video in a much larger intermediary format or lower the preview resolution in order to work. Yes, I have scopes, better titles, 3D effects, and far more storage, but the basic editing experience is nowhere near as smooth.

Rather than complain about Apples restrictive hand-holding (which I hate as well), I would rather accept the fact that in spite of this, Luma Fusion IOS is still the best tablet/touch video editing experience and just work around the shortcomings.

Right now, all that I really need is some sort of SD card reader that will let me import audio files without going through a PC. There were several options with the last IOS version. It is just a matter of time before some handy little IOS 11 compatible reader shows up on Amazon for $30 or so. Once that happens, I just want to pick one up and move on.