Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:56 am

All times are UTC-07:00

LumaFusion 1.4.5 is now available on the App Store. This update fixes issues with exports.
LumaFX and LumaClip 2.3.1 are now available on the App Store. This fixes export problem for iOS 9 users

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:04 pm 

When exporting (saving) to ixpand or drop box there is a setting to choose for video quality from 6 to 25 mbps. May I assume this is referencing the camera and if it is 6 megapixel I would get no advantage exporting at higher than 6 Mbps? Likewise if it is a 12 megapixel camera the optimum choice would be 12 mbps?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hello Ron

I'm not sure what camera you are referring to but here is some simple math that explains what is going on:

The pixel resolution of a 4K frame is 3840 x 2160 = 8.3Mbits
8.3 x 24(fps) = 199.2 mbit/second (very close to 200)
If you throw out every other bit then you get 100mbit/second
which is the 4K output of a Lumix GX85 camera writing to an SD card.

The Mbit/second shown in the export panel of LumaFusion is based on the resolution you are outputting at.

You will notice that if you have a 4K clip on the timeline and you export the timeline at 4K resolution, then you can select 100Mbit/second (if you want). If the resolution is set to 480p, then the max Mbit/second will be 12.

The math applies to 1080 x 1920 too.
at 24fps, 48Mbit/second, again throw out every other bit and you have 24Mbit/second, which is the bit rate of Lumix G85 camera (avchd codec) writing to the SD card.

Hope this helps

Regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:02 pm 

Thank you. Clearly all my assumptions were wrong. I am using the iSight camera on an iPad Pro. 720 hd and 30 fps. My math says 27.6. I am guessing I should save my work at the best possible. No idea what quality to upload to web. Am creating an online course but have not picked a platform.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello ron

looking at the specs for the LUMIX GX85, it shows 720 30p as 10Mbps. The LumaFusion app shows 12Mbps as being the closest to that. I agree the math doesn't quite workout the same in this case.

Whilst you are editing in LumaFusion it will be resolution independent. That is, what you do in the app wont affect what you export at. The export settings give you some choices in terms of how big or small the files size will be. Obviously, if the original video is (lets say) 10Mbps, then exporting it at 50Mbps won't do you much good other than increase the file size greatly. However, if you are doing a lot of effects work, then those higher bit rates might be useful, otherwise you could end up losing detail through too much compression.

I would suggest you try 12Mbps and see what happens. If you find that it introduces too many artifacts, then go to 16 or even 25Mbps. If the file size becomes an issue, then lower to 6Mbps.

Regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:26 pm 

That was very helpful. Thank you