Luma Touch Support Forums

Luma Touch (luma-touch.com) provides support and a great community for Luma Touch apps. Email info@luma-touch.com to get the registration code (or find it in the app store description).
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

LumaFusion 1.3.6 is now available on the App Store. This update improves editing performance and fixes a few issues.
LumaFX and LumaClip 2.3.1 are now available on the App Store. This fixes export problem for iOS 9 users

Forum rules

We strive to provide a safe, fun environment for our forum members to discuss our apps, and other related creative tools and experiences. We will not tolerate disrespectful comments to other members. Please keep comments topical, and criticisms positive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:35 am 

Helle, i want to ask, not for the first time, i asked Pinnacle for over an year, why are there are any Option to export the films in interlaced format, for example 50i ? This is in Germany still the format, the tv-station are working with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi SignoreMarquez,

The reason is part historical. When we first created Pinnacle Studio, iOS did not support interlaced files. There is now an option in iOS that would allow us to add 50i and other interlaced formats. To be honest though, adding it will require a certain amount of work, lots of testing and more issues for us to solve.

We would certainly consider adding it, but we haven't had any other requests to do so (apart from yours). I'm sorry you did not get an answer last year. I try to answer every question, but I must have missed it. We do listen and add features regularly based on what we hear from users on this forum, YouTube comments and direct email.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:42 am 

Like signoremarquez, I'am also interested in interlaced export. Still no option?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:45 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Does 'interlaced' offer any advantages other than compatability?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:35 am 

It's necessary in our television broadcast (NH a regional televionstation in the Netherlands). With a interlaced export, it will be very easy for us to use a mojo-workflow with Filmic Pro and LumaFusion

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:38 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I see what you are saying, so I suppose it is down to how difficult it would be for the developers to implement

I'm sure there's lots of other stuff to introduce first .. but then if you're excluding a potential 'market'

Does interlaced offer any advantage with say file size?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:24 am 

I'am not an expert, but interlaced was created to keep filesize/bandwidth smaller. I'll ask some colleages

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello harmenploeg

interlaced fields are a product of early television systems. It has nothing to do with file size. What I am less familiar with is why some broadcasters want interlaced files. Does anyone know.

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:56 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't have any answers but we used to get a lot of interlaced video in the early days in the uk

I thought it was to do with transmission bandwidth or something

I was under the impression that the time spent decoding the interlacing/processing power required made it not worthwhile (although that is probably not relevant with todays hardware)

I do recall 'lots of 'jaggies' and 'moire patterns'

I also remember that with any video cameras I had that could produce interlaced video - the first thing I did was switch it off! :)

Wikipedia has this to say

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace ... nterlacing

which kinda says the same as Androu and me

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

thanks knobbydave

good input. Yes, interlaced video happened because of the technology that was at hand in the early days of television.
Progressive happened because the technology got better. So we had 30p and 25p but they couldn't do 60p immediately so we got 60i. Then technology improved again and we got 60p and 50p (and so on and so on).

But the interlaced issue for a TV broadcaster that's the issue here. Do some TV broadcasters have technical objections to receiving finished movies using progressive? and what's the reasoning?

Anyone know?

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch