Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:30 pm 

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody is using LumaFusion for creating timelapse videos.
And especially using the photos from a GoPro Hero 6 using the timelaps photo mode.
Well, even without the GoPro part i’m Curious. What are your experiences with creating timelapses?

Regards, Don

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:14 pm 

I'm also interested in the topic. I know we can import photos as frames in the footage, however that seems to be very manual and time-consuming process...

You can obviously speed up the footage up to 6 times (then export the final clip and speed up again...???)... but I don't have any other clues in that matter myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:35 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

At the moment that’s the only/best way todo it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

Here's my workflow for creating long time-lapse sequences. It's specific to the equipment I use, so it might not apply directly to your question, but it might inspire you to come up with a similar solution.

I try to stay entirely in the iOS ecosystem and only use my MacBook when absolutely necessary. This workflow is iOS-only.

I'll use today as an example. I shot a timelapse sequence that spanned about 4 hours. It was a video of an outdoor wooden staircase being built. I use a Sony Action Cam to shoot my long timelapse sequences (I have an older model AS100V). I set the camera to shoot 1 image every 5 seconds. The camera ran for about 4 hours (I had to monitor it and ended up changing the battery twice to keep the camera running). I finished up with nearly 3000 still images to assemble into a timelapse.

The Sony app for controlling the camera while shooting is called PlayMemories. But they also have a companion app for post-processing the footage called, surprise, ActionCam. I used the ActionCam app to convert the still images into a timelapse video.

Leave the microSD card that you used for shooting the timelapse in the camera. Turn the camera on, let it boot up and start broadcasting it's wi-fi signal (I usually wait about 15 seconds for it to get up and going). Then, join the camera's wi-fi network on your iOS device. Once you're connected, launch the ActionCam app. On my camera, the display screen on the camera says "Share" when it's connected to the ActionCam app.

To start, in the ActionCam app, click "Import". It should access the card in the camera and start to display content on the card suitable for import. It will show your videos and it will auto-detect that there are timelapse sequences on the card. Because I had to shut the camera down twice to change the battery, I had 3 sequences on the card to import. Note that you have to wait for the app and the camera to fully preview the sequence before you can begin importing. To preview a sequence of about 1000 images took about a minute. After you've selected the sequences to import, click the import button. It will give you the option of importing all of those individual images, which will take a long time and use up a lot of space, or you can import a "consolidated" sequence, which takes much less time and less space. For the ones I did today, I chose "consolidated". To import a consolidated sequence of about 1000 images took about 3 minutes. After the import is complete, you can back out of the Import screen.

Next, click on the TimeLapse option. Once you're in the TimeLapse screen, the sequences you just imported will appear there. At this point, you can edit them, crop them, etc. When you're satisfied with the result, you can click "Export" to save the final video to the camera roll on your device.

Now that I have my timelapse videos, I open up LumaFusion. I create a project and import the videos into LumaFusion where I string them together and finish editing the video. I do my color correction here, framing, titles, etc.

The contractor for the stairs is coming back tomorrow to put some finishing touches on the project. I'll create a separate timelapse of that and then edit the whole thing together. Hopefully I can put the camera back in nearly the same spot so that the video flows nicely....wish me luck! When I have the whole thing together, I'll edit this post and include a link to the finished product.

I believe a similar thing is possible for GoPro cameras....I think they have a companion app for iOS that will let you work with the content filmed on their cameras.

I wish there was a way in the ActionCam app to remove the fisheye effect of the camera. It seems like Sony could easily build in fisheye correction profiles for the lenses they use in these cameras, but I've searched and haven't been able to find a way to do it. I'm not sure, but I think the GoPro app has such an option. If so, it would be cool if there was a way to "trick" the GoPro app into doing a fisheye correction on non-GoPro footage. Maybe someone smarter than me could figure that out....!

Sorry this was so long... I guess I got carried away!

UPDATE: Here’s the finished video:

Last edited by MikeMc on Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:55 am 

@MikeMc Thanks so much for your very detailed workflow and instructions! 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:34 am 

I recently used my Osmo Mobile 2 to record a quick motion time lapse as I walked through a park @ 3 frames/second.

When I imported it to add it to my edit in LumaFusion, it ran a bit too fast so I slowed down the clip - was left with a really interesting stop-motion like effect!

Loving playing around with setting and getting unexpected benefits!