Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:45 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.0 is now available in the App Store. This is a massive new update that doubles the number of tracks for video and audio, streamlines the user interface, and much more.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:02 pm 
Novice
Novice

If you have video on your iPhone and want to edit it on your iPad, you can upload it to iCloud and download it to the iPad - IF you have WiFi, and it's fast, and it's not capped; most of which do not often apply to me. If you're recording 1080P, you can record directly to a SanDisk iXpand and transfer the video to the iPad that way. If you shoot 4K in FiLMiC PRO, FiLMiC PRO can (by default) record to its own folder in the iPhone, and you can export the videos to the iXpand and move them to the iPad for easier editing. It's possible to edit on the iPhone, but way more fun on an iPad.

Note that iXpand Flash drives that are 32GB or 64GB are formatted with the FAT32 file system, which has a 4GB per file size limit. If you have a iXpand flash drive that is 64GB or less, you can reformat it to the exFAT format which will allow any size file up to the size of the drive.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:09 pm 

This is exactly the kind of thing airdrop was invented for. Super fast, local, internet not required transfers. :)

-Verxion

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yes, but moving a video file via AirDrop from the iPhone to the iPad puts it in Photos, thereby forcing you to upload and download via WiFi. You can't just copy the file to LumaFusion. You CAN import a clip into LumaFusion and archive it, and then transfer the archive to LumaFusion via AirDrop, but you'd likely have to assemble the movie on the iPhone.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:08 pm 
Expert
Expert

You could try using a Shortcut - select photos/make archive/share. Choosing Airdrop in Share will then give you an option to choose the app to use on the iPad. Selecting LumaFusion will add the archive’s contents to Imported.
Sorry I can’t check this (I’m travelling and use an SD card reader to transfer) but think so.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yes; I discussed using Archive as a transfer method when I was experimenting on how to do this Discussion Questions: When you can't or don't want to use WiFi:
Quote:
I did a lot of experimenting. Here's what I found:

* You can’t send a clip taken in the native iPhone camera app to LumaFusion on the iPad or iPhone without it going into the Photos app and being uploaded to the cloud. If you don’t have good WiFi available, this can be problematic. FiLMiC PRO saves to its own folder on the iOS device by default, so you can use the sharesheet to Open In LumaFusion, and it places the clip in Imported-FiLMiC PRO within LumaFusion.
* If instead you are in FilMiC Pro on an iPhone and select Share with LumaFusion to the same device, it copies to the folder Imported-Shared. Makes sense, but I like it ending up in a FiLMiC PRO folder instead.
* You can send an Archive from LumaFusion on the iPhone to LumaFusion on the iPad via AirDrop with the Copy to LumaFusion command.
* So, if you take a video in FiLMiC PRO, optionally you can copy it to Emulsio to stabilize, then Share to LumaFusion, then add the clip to a timeline, you can send it to LumaFusion on the iPad as an archive and edit it there.

BTW, if your workflow uses Emulsio for stabilization,
* If you are in FiLMiC PRO on an iPhone and use the sharesheet to Copy to Emulsio, it opens in Emulsio immediately.
* If you are in Emulsio and want to move the clip to LumaFusion, choose Share to LumaFusion and the clip appears in Imported-Shared folder.
* If you are in Emulsio and use the sharesheet to Copy to LumaFusion, the clip appears in Imported-moviestiller folder.

It may be that the easiest way to take clips on an iPhone and move them to an iPad without going through Photos is to use WD My Passport Wireless Pro or Gnarbox. Perhaps someone could discuss that workflow and compare the two.

Or maybe Apple will let us read and write to arbitrary external drives. Meanwhile, I’ll use a SanDisk iXpand to move clips from the iPhone to the iPad.
…though I had not to thought of using a Shortcut. It's hardly necessary anyway since the operation of AirDropping an archive is straightforward. The problem is, you can't just transfer clips - you have to create project, archive it, and then send it by AirDrop. AirDrop does not let you share or copy a video clip to anything but Photos. And after archiving you still have to aggregate the clips into the new project on the iPad. If only Apple would let us read and write to an external drive (as with the iXpand drives, which have advantages and disadvantages. ) I have not heard any rumors of that happening at WWDC, but one may hope...