Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions please see our support page https://luma-touch.com/support. You can contact us from our support page, or email us directly at support@luma-touch.com.

LumaFusion 1.4.8 is now available on the App Store. This update resolves some audio preview issues as well as other bug fixes

LumaFX 2.4.3 is now available on the App Store. This fixes additional issues for iOS 9 users

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:25 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi, all —

I got my shiny new iPhone 8 Plus on Friday, and Sunday went to a street fair to shoot some test footage. There were flag dancers on pedastles; what better subject to test slow motion could there be? So, I set up a preset in Filmic Pro to shoot 240FPS, 1080P, Filmic Extreme quality, saving directly to the camera roll (to avoid those cumbersome transfer from Filmic library issues).

The footage looks amazing in the Photos app on the iPhone, and when I airdrop it to the iPad Pro and play it in the Photos app.

When I import it to LumaFusion (either on the iPhone or the iPad), LumaFusion’s info panel says that the footage’s frame rate is 150FPS. Odd, since that’s not even an option in iOS.

Thinking there may be a bug with LumaFusion’s info panel, I transferred (by plugging in — not airdrop) the footage to my MacBook Pro and imported it to Premiere Pro CC. Premiere Pro thinks the footage is 200FPS. Also odd, since that’s not even an option in iOS.

The problem for me is that I don’t really know what frame rate the footage is. LumaFusion thinks it 150FPS, Premiere thinks it’s 200FPS. Getting it to play smoothly in slow motion on either LF or PP isn’t possible, no matter what setting I use for reduction of playback speed. I tried interpreting the footage in Premiere Pro to 240 FPS, tried accepting it as 200FPS, tried accepting it as 150FPS, but all settings resulted in choppy playback.

I shot some test footage at 240FPS 1080P from the iPhone’s native camera app, and both LumaFusion and Premiere Pro see it as 240FPS, and play it back smoothly.

So, I’ve sent the Filmic folks an email asking whether they’re aware of this, and what’s coming to fix it, but I thought I’d ask here — has anyone experienced this, and if so, has anyone found a work-around (aside from just using the native camera app)?

Thanks!
Dex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello sfdex

I was able to get the same result using iPhone6.
The Filmic clip shows as 150fps in LF
The iPhone clip shows as 240fps in LF.

I'll write this up as an issue, it's possible we are misreading it somehow, or it's something at the Filmic end.

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello sfdex

I did some more testing with the filmic clip. I air dropped the clip to my MacBook Pro opened that clip in quicktime player. Frame rate reported as 30fps.
I also did a direct transfer from iPhone to MacBook Pro transferring the same clip. This time, the clip reported as 130fps.

The airdropped clip behaved well when imported into Prem Pro. Reported as 30fps, interpreted to 240fps and slowed to 12.5%
The direct import version of the clip behaved the way you described. Reported as 200fps. interpreted to 240fps and slowed to 12.5%, playback was not good

I guess we are no clearer as to the problem or solution as yet but hopefully we will be soon

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:15 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Filmic folks got back to me quickly, saying the following:
Quote:
We are currently working on an update to support the iPhone 8's high framerate modes that will include HEVC support. Until that is released 1080p at 60fps and 4k at 30fps is the maximum resolution and framerate combination supported.

We hope to have this out in the next 1-2 weeks.
They don’t get access to new gear before any of us, so this was something they couldn’t anticipate, since it’s a hardware thing.

Thanks for looking, and being on top of things!

-Dex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're welcome

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch