Luma Touch Support Forums

Luma Touch (luma-touch.com) provides support and a great community for Luma Touch apps. Email info@luma-touch.com to get the registration code (or find it in the app store description).
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC-07:00

LumaFusion 1.3.6 is now available on the App Store. This update improves editing performance and fixes a few issues.
LumaFX and LumaClip 2.3.1 are now available on the App Store. This fixes export problem for iOS 9 users

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:07 pm 

So I don’t understand an error I keep getting when inserting a transition. Many times after I have inserted two or three video clips into a project timeline, when I go back to insert a transition between the clips, I get the little yellow warning box that tells me either the clip before or after needs to be trimmed before the transition can play through. I have the insert default set to push everything down the timeline, so I don’t understand why it apparently asks me to trim clips to make room for the transition?????? I can usually fiddle around and get past it by adjusting clips or inserting different transitions, but it is annoying and consumes much more time than I sometimes have. It seems to be most prevalent when I use the cross-dissolve transition, which is one of my favorites.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Shiftless600

Our timeline doesn't make changes to the clips in the timeline when a transition is added.
So, for two clips on the timeline that have not been trimmed, the dissolve will start but, at the center of the dissolve the outgoing clip will freeze for the rest of the dissolve.
Likewise, the incoming clip will be a freeze frame for the first half of the dissolve and then un-freeze at the center point.
In some cases this might not be an issue. In cases where this is not acceptable, either the incoming or outgoing clip, or both clips, would need to be trimmed.

Regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:15 am 

Thank you Androu,

Your answer makes me think I don’t understand the whole “trimming a clip” thing then. Are you saying that if I don’t trim every clip, they won’t play through a transition?? I typically ‘trim’ a clip in the preview window with the start and end brackets. I get the clip exactly where I want it, then I insert it into the timeline. Is that considered trimming, or do I have to use the scissors icon and actually cut the video clip????? I am confused as to the purpose.

I guess I’m looking for a best practice procedure here to avoid getting the transition error in the first place. I usually like to just throw a rough draft of my project together first and then go back and tinker and fine-tune it with small changes until I’m to my finished product. That’s generally when I get in trouble. Is there a better way?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Shiftless600

thanks for the reply, now it's clearer.

What you describe is correct. But for the sake of example, let's say that you default transition length is set to 2 seconds.
You would have to trim (in the preview window) 1 second of video from both ends of the clip to allow for that 2 second transition (assuming you wanted a transition at both ends).

If you look at the attached screen grab, you can see that for the incoming clip I didn't quite trim enough to allow for a full 2 second dissolve (look at the blue area). In this case I would have to trim just a little bit more on the timeline.

Does this help.

Please let me know

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

Attachments:
IMG_1188.PNG
IMG_1188.PNG [ 4.09 MiB | Viewed 151 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:06 am 

Well, I’m not going to say I understand this topic completely. It sounds like I better have about one second ‘scrap’ at each end of any video I insert, so that I can trim it to fit the 2 second transition I use. It seems counter-intuitive to me. Kind of defeats the purpose of using the ‘trimmer’ in the video preview to get the correct section of video, because the transition will ask me to trim the clip after inserting it in the project timeline anyway. Oh well……love the program still!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Shiftless600

So, the amount you trim on the clip in the preview window has to 1/2 the duration of your default transition duration.
For a 1 second default transition duration, you would have to trim 13 frames for a 25fps projects or 12 frames for a 24fps projects, etc.

I'm very happy that you like our app.

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch