Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.4.4 is now available in the App Store

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:48 am 

Hey everyone,

I've been using LumaFusion for about 3 years and I am truly happy with it. I am not a professional video editor but I often edit personal projects, just like creating things. But since I'm not a pro, I am not extremely familiar with the terminology. So apologies in advance, if I confuse things up a little.

My iPad Pro (2nd gen 12,9) has a fairly small storage (256GB) and I want to keep it as free as possible. Using my drone, my average trip costs me around 20GBs of space. My current plan is to use my home PC (Win10) as a media server and through shared folders, edit my videos in LumaFusion.

But in order to use the videos, it looks like I need to fully download it first (Import process). I connected my PC as a server, everything that I shared shows up. No technical problem there. But a) I don't see the thumbnails, so in around 20-25 different shots I don't know which one I am getting and b) I have to download the whole video in order to use it. It doesn't download in the background either. I have to sit and look at the screen while it downloads 1-2GB sized files. One by one.

Is there a proxy sistem for these kind of workflows? How can I optimize my process? My dream in the end is working completely from the server, so no importing but working off directly from my remote folder. As far as I can tell, it is impossible. You cannot add a folder to the "Imported" section as writing the directory. So I am down to a proxy system but I need to use some kind of video software in order to create proxies as I copy them to my PC. So through LumaFusion I can use the proxies which are linked to the original files and they swap at the rendering process. I don't know, is that a thing people do? Or do I overcomplicate things?

So here I am, trying to make sense with all these things :)

The reason I am using my computer as a server is 1) It is cheap 2) It is mine, I don't need to answer to anyone 3) In the future I'm planning on accessing it remotely and using my footages while I'm away.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I understand exactly what your wish is ;)

It's an idea that will come (no eta)

It's quite limited by Apple still at the moment but things are getting better with each IOS release

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:43 am 

Hello again Dave :)

I am glad that we have found common ground I had my reservations while explaining myself.

By the way I've looked at WD solution as well (The one within LumaFusion) but according to YT videos it still downloads the full video, even though you can preview it and place In/out markers and put it in your timeline. At least you can preview it and it downloads in the background (it is a step forward, I guess?).

I hope that in the future releases (or future apps that comes from LumaTouch, as a new ground up software) we have this option. I am not an avid forum user and I don't know if it is being said elsewhere, but I wouldn't mind a new LumaFusion that was designed from the ground up with these features (I am missing lumetri scopes as well, but we will wait for multi monitor support for iPad, probably). LumaFusions deserved every cent that I've paid and builds upon it in every release. So if it takes a new & improved version to be at an acceptable cost, I am okay with it :)

In the meantime, I'll be looking for other makeshift solutions for myself (archiving projects as packages and offloading the files off from the iPad, etc.)

Have a great day everyone.