Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:21 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.4.3 is now available in the App Store

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:00 pm 

Hello LF-gurus!
New user of LF, and not exactly an expert in video formats and codecs either, so I hope you can help me. I have searched the forums but can't seem to find a post describing my problem, even though I'm sure I'm not the first one facing this issue.

So, I've hired a company to digitilize all my family VHS and 8mm tapes. They have done a great job and I've recieved each film as two different files.
A large .mov file with great quality, and a smaller .mp4 file with good but not great quality.
Both files are encoded with H264, according to the company.

However, they do not play on my iPad Pro (2018), and when importing the files to LF I get sound only, but no video.
I reached out to the company for help, but they say that the files should work just fine on an iPad (even though they mock me a bit for wanting to edit the films on iPad instead of a computer).

After some internet digging I've tried out a software called Uniconverter, where I've converted the files into another kind of .mp4.
It works on the iPad, but the files are much smaller in size (about 400 MB instead of 6 GB) and the quality is not near as good.
Also, I get some kind of stripey effects in the video, espceally when the camera is moving.

So I guess my question boils down to: How do I get the best possible quality video file into LF?
I was under the impression that MOV and MP4 with H264 codec would work with LF, but for me it doesn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Without knowing exactly how the original files are encoded it's tricky just H264 .MP4 or .MOV still leaves a lot of possibilities

When I've re-encoded stuff myself I use a program called Handbrake that seems to work quite well

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:12 pm 

Can I provide any other information to narrow down the possibilities?

Or optionally, can I tell the company to export the files in any specific way which will work the best possible way with iPad and LF ?

EDIT:

I had a look at the files and there is some more info provided there. Have a look at the screen shots.

Attachments:
2E79DBB9-42BE-4E84-B0C5-91E99FAE7280.jpeg
2E79DBB9-42BE-4E84-B0C5-91E99FAE7280.jpeg [ 111.78 KiB | Viewed 137 times ]
08C1672C-C79B-44C5-9409-8C35100FCAB3.jpeg
08C1672C-C79B-44C5-9409-8C35100FCAB3.jpeg [ 118.91 KiB | Viewed 138 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:59 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

They should be encoded in H.264 or HVEC (H.265) to be compatible with LumaFusion. Keep in mind that both MOV and MP4 are container formats capable of containing various codecs. iPadOS / iOS are more restrictive in what they can actually decode. I also suspect that even within the family of H.264 and H.265, there are restrictions - Hopefully Dave can fill in the details.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:20 am 

The company assures me that the files are encoded with H264, even though it says AVC and DVCPRO PAL in the desctiption. Perhaps both can be true at the same time?

If you guys where to digitalize your VHS collection, with the goal to edit the files in LumaFusion, what exact settings would you use? Apparently choosing MOV or MP4 with H264 setting is not enough.