Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:29 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.3.2 is now available in the App Store

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:12 am 
Adept
Adept

This isn’t a specific Luma Fusion question, but it is affecting my use of this software:

I have done all sorts of video projects in Luma Fusion and it works incredibly well. Part of my setup is a Western Digital MyHome networked drive, and I can easily back up projects over wifi and then delete them from my iPad. The MyHome has a redundant drive backup in it so everything that I copy to it is automatically backed up to a second hard drive.

The problem is that with IOS, old projects aren’t actually deleted. They are just moved to the “recently deleted” folder where they still take up space. I can go through the steps of deleting everything from the recently deleted folder, but if I browse to another folder then come back, all the files going back a year or so are still there.

I have a 512GB iPad Pro, and because I can’t actually delete files from this folder, I am down to a little over 100GB free. When I do an Internet search, I can see that a lot of people have this same issue, and I have yet to find a solution.

Does anyone know how to actually delete file so that they don’t continue to take up space? I have backups and redundant backups of everything I need. I don’t need to be able to restore any of this junk that is taking up space!

It must be something simple, but I simply can’t figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:20 am 
Adept
Adept

Here is a discussion of this on the Apple forum. None of the suggestions work for me:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8569464

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can't help on this one except to say I just had a similar problem with files imported from my NAS and subsequently deleted

I even tried copying the original files again

I could delete the second copies (same filenames, dates etc) but could not remove the original deleted files

In the end I restored my iPad from a backup and they were gone?!?!?

If you or anyone else finds a solution let us know

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:31 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Maybe check to see if the files are actually there, can you restore one of the files? I had this issue, for months. They would disappear until I went back into the recently deleted folder. I couldn’t restore or do anything with those files so I don’t think they were actually there or taking up space.

What fixed the issue is to remove “On my iPad” from the locations that appear in Files, then add it back, the files will be removed. At least in my case.

The files app is still a bit buggy, but works good enough for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:23 am 
Adept
Adept

Ok, I finally got rid of them after deleting them and immediately doing a hard reset. Now I seem to be able to delete newly deleted files the way You would expect. I think it was a matter of letting the quantity of files in the recently deleted folder get too large.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:14 am 
Adept
Adept

I just went through the same sort of thing with my IOS photos (and videos). They all back up automatically to the network drive so I decided to delete them off the iPad. They just went to the recently deleted folder however, and because there were so many of them, I couldn’t bulk delete. I started deleting one by one,then got to the point where I could delete small groups of files, then finally managed to delete them all.

I’m back to having over 30GB of space again which is wonderful! All without actually losing access to any media!

When I first got the MyHome network drive, it was really terrible. It is their consumer grade network drive and a lot of the direct file access features that you would expect were disabled. Gradually however, both the IOS Files App and the MyHome software has been improved to the point where now it is a really great network drive. The one I have is 20 terabytes divided into 10 terabytes of storage and 10 terabytes of backup. It is really a wonderful addition to the iPad video/media work environment!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Might try your 'workaround' if it happens again

Hopefully Apple will fix it - iOS 14 maybe?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:41 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same issue and I am clearing out space everytime I finish editing.

Hard reseting my ipad always does the trick of deleting stucked recently deleted items both in the files app. Hard resetting for those who are curious is pressing the home button and power button simultaneously for about 5 seconds.

Glad you found the trick.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:12 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I believe Apple has always taken the line that users don’t need to see or worry about files and storage. This was true for a long time and made life easy for most people. Video can quickly push the limits though so we start looking.

Apple will delete files automatically as memory is required but may leave its container looking like a file in the deleted folder. This probably goes under that the warning that “files may have to be deleted by the provider” (or something like that) which means files from say Dropbox but I think they also use it to cover iCloud and files shared with your other devices. Eventually I’ve found they disappear by themselves. Eventually.

To be fair this is very complex and the idea of sheltering the user from it is great for most people. Just don’t do video or make sure you have the newest and biggest device possible. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:47 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Try unselecting and the reselecting your iPad/iPhone from the “Locations” list in the Files App.

It usually works for me, without having to reset or restore.
I firmly believe the files app does delete them but the app for some reason still has a cache of the items and doesn’t refresh the listing.

I think the files app is buggy, this issue and others such as frequently being unable to copy a number of items to a cloud service such as Google Drive whereby the app doesn’t copy all the items only the first selected makes it unreliable in my view.

Glenn.