Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:49 am

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.3 is now available in the App Store

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi everyone,

I’m new to video editing therefore please have patience:

When i create a new project and it asks me to select a frame rate I usually select 24fps (since I record my videos on my Sony a7r3 at 24fps) but what’s the downside of merging slow motion 1080p 120fps with 4K 24fps footage in a 24fps project?

Is there a different way I should approach all this ?
Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:18 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Not really something I know much about but I believe you are use the fps of your intended display device - iPad, tv etc - but preferably you should shoot at the same fps. My approach is if it looks ok to me then it is ok :). Actually I think it’s in the LumaFusion manual but I can’t check at the moment

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:57 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you are shooting 24 fps on a 24 fps timeline, then no issues. If you are shoot 30, 60 or 120 fps on a 24 fps timeline, then you should slow down the footage to the appropriate speed to 24 fps, for example:

30 fps at 80% = 24 frames per second
60 fps at 40% = 24 frames per second
120 fps at 20% = 24 frames per second

You should also be able to slow 60 fps by 80% and 120 fps by 40% to get 48 fps and you will lose every other frame but will still export fine at 24 fps.

This should avoid any stuttering or skipping frames. I haven't done too much testing though as I shoot and export at 30 fps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good advice Mark and Glenn

That will stop you suffering from ‘jerky vision’

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

I wish there was a clearer way to just play the clips frame-for-frame within a project without involving the respeed option. If I am working in a 30fps project and I bring in 60fps footage, when you put it on the timeline it should run with no processing as a default, so you will get a smooth half speed. Then if you choose to respeed the clip to run at ‘normal’ speed then you should invoke the respeed option to x2. I would imagine a lot of people shoot high frame rate to give silky smooth slowmo’s rather than to benefit from working in a high frame rate project, but even if that is the case you would be working in a 60fps project anyway so you still require the source to run frame for frame as a default. I just feel automatically invoking the respeed is a little confusing and the numbers relate to the project fps and not the source fps anyway. If i choose 1x using my 60 in a 30 project example I would expect that to mean my source is running frame for frame. (.5x the project frame rate).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:06 am 
Novice
Novice

rob.g - Most NLEs don't work that way. They adapt your source footage to your project settings and you have to go to some effort to override the default behavior. It would be great if you could tell LumaFusion how to interpret the footage (playback rate, frame size, aspect ratio, etc.).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can

In settings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

I cant see any option in settings to allow the frame rate interpretation to be changed? I can see settings for framing, eg fit, focus etc but not speed? Only the duration of titles/stills etc?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:07 pm 

I shoot Sony as well. Although Sony calls it 24p, it is actually 23.976. So in Luma Fusion you want to use 23.98 for “Sony 24p”.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

Correct. 24fps can be very confusing for a lot of people as a lot of gear says it’s shooting 24fps where as in fact it is shooting 23.98fps. NTSC still haunts us to this day :(