Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:10 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.0 is now available in the App Store. This is a massive new update that doubles the number of tracks for video and audio, streamlines the user interface, and much more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:38 am 

Hey Guys.

I'm probably been spending WAY too much time trying to use LF Overlay Title shapes with key framing to mask out areas of my footage which do not have a consistent color.

To event get close, the process is incredibly tedious and the result usually ends up getting scrapped.

So let's say that I'm editing a pool (billiards) match, and want to mask out the cluttered background. It's easy enough to create an Overlay Title with a green rectangle to hide the wall, but I also have to take into account the fact that the players bodies (and their playing cues) share the same space. So even if I setup a dedicated project for a four second clip of a particularly great shot, that gives me five remaining tracks to add a variety of Overlay Title shapes all with key frames to move with the action, and after doing this for two hours, the result still looks terrible.

With all that said, I was wondering if anyone in the forum might be familiar with a separate app either for IOS or Mac OS that would allow me to use vector based objects to define the masking area, and it's "key frames" would be the points on the bezier curve.

Recommendations?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:06 pm 
Adept
Adept

Rotoscoping is exactly the sort of thing that Adobe AfterEffects excels at. Alas, it’s a very deep program, and the subscription fee for the Creative Cloud is difficult to justify if you’re not using it for professional, income-deriving work.

Apple Motion has the ability to create articulated masks, too, though I haven’t used it in years, so I’m not sure how advanced its tools are. The advantage there is that it’s much less expensive, and isn’t a subscription model.

HitFilm also has robust masking tools, and there’s a free version, though I’m not sure which of its tools are in the free version.

I’d love to see an app on iOS that allows detailed rotoscoping. Using the Apple Pencil on the touchscreen would be a delight as compared to mousing your masks around on the Mac or Windows PC.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 am 

Thanks sfdex! The Mac OS apps you referenced are very much appreciated, and you helped me to learn a new word! :)