Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:51 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.1.1 is now available in the App Store

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:15 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

How are you guys dealing with storage space on your iPad - what is your work flow and and file management solutions.
I just finished a one minute 4K video on a MacBook Pro in FCPX - not a lot of effects at all......250 gigs!!!!!!! Granted, I know I made some mistakes on export and in other areas but.....This has me scared when going back to edit in Lumafusion on my IPad, so any pointers would be welcomed.......(Mark NZ ??).
Is Gnarbox or WD the solution?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:34 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I move the videos into the UserMedia folder under Lumafusion so that only one copy of the source is needed, then I export to the RenderedMedia folder or camera roll. This keeps storage to a minimum (1 copy of source + exported video).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:09 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
How are you guys dealing with storage space on your iPad - what is your work flow and and file management solutions.
I just finished a one minute 4K video on a MacBook Pro in FCPX - not a lot of effects at all......250 gigs!!!!!!! Granted, I know I made some mistakes on export and in other areas but.....This has me scared when going back to edit in Lumafusion on my IPad, so any pointers would be welcomed.......(Mark NZ ??).
Is Gnarbox or WD the solution?
250GB for a 1 minute 4K video? That doesn’t sound right. I use LumaFusion on my iPad Pro (2018) every week to create 4K videos that are between 5-15 minutes long and don’t come anywhere near that file size. I just finished a baking video for a client yesterday that was 7 minutes long and the exported versions were roughly 2.6GB. Even if you count all the source videos, we’re probably only talking about another 10-12GB of data. I usually move all that stuff back off my iPad once the videos have been successfully exported and posted.

Anyway, my point is that you’ll easily be able to use LumaFusion on your iPad to create 4K videos without worrying about maxing out the storage. With the updates to Files in iOS 13, it’ll be much easier to use external storage as well, making this even less of an issue. Although I would definitely look into your export settings on FCPX. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:02 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for your input bro, I have been on forums morning to night figuring this out and a bunch of people over on Reddit tell me it’s very possible for the one minute video to chew up that much space or more and have given me a bunch of reasons that I’m still trying to understand. Yes, I have edited videos in Lumafusion without these issues but lately I’ve seen a leap in file size. The last few days have been swallowed up by figuring out file management in FCPX, what drive to buy to edit off,,SSD etc, back up drives, but more than that how to streamline things in setting up and exporting my project. I think my main problem was in my export option - I think I exported in a full size format instead of using one of the two “device” options as I didn’t understand what “device” meant.
Still a lot of figuring out in the next week or two.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

Everybody is going to have different approaches with this because of different video sources and export requirements. Ideally for me iOS would just do it. In practice iOS isn’t really designed for video production.The LumaFusion team have nevertheless done a pretty good job of trying to cover all the possible scenarios.

My very simple approach is to shoot in 4K, lots of clips, and produce a final short video in 1080. I mostly use the iPhone camera app simply because it’s the fastest option out of my pocket. I copy to LumaFusion on my iPad using a Shortcut to make an archive file and Airdrop to the LumaFusion UserMedia folder. This is faster than Airdropping individual video clips which insist on going into the Photos app, sometimes as duplicates.

After finishing my project I export my video to Photos and after a day or so delete all the source clips from Photos, and in the Files app I delete all clips and project files from the LumaFusion folders. Then I delete everything from the Recently Deleted folders of Files and Photos. Bear in mind that the Recently Deleted folders still get included in iCloud backups including device backups. If you don’t get rid of everything then usage generally can escalate alarmingly because everything tends to keep anything it might possibly need.

Someone can almost certainly critique this from a technical point of view. Really I don’t want to know the details. I just want it to work without problems and for me it does. Even so many of you will be horrified. What if I later want to change something? Too bad I say. In 100 years, or even 100 days, will anyone care? Probably only my ego will. Bear in mind that I have only made a couple of commissioned videos and then I carefully backed everything up and kept it for a long time. If space is a problem I use an SD reader and would certainly consider a hard drive if I did this professionally.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

Can you share with us your shortcut for transferring videos from iphone to ipad?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:24 am 
Expert
Expert

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/fe50f8 ... 4d9084bfda

This is very simple 2 action shortcut. You select your videos in the Photos app, choose the shortcut in the share menu. It makes them into an archive and opens the share menu again. This time choose Airdrop to your iPad. On the iPad you are given a list of apps that can open the archive. Choose LumaFusion and the videos should appear fairly soon in Imported Files/Airdrop.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/11df35 ... c76571d2b6

This one is more complicated and difficult to explain. If you are good with Shortcuts you can figure it out (and probably improve it). It is run from the Shortcuts app on the phone. it lets you choose from recent videos and Live Photos, opens them in DeShake app and then shares them to LumaFusion via an archive.

Before all that it creates the folder Shortcuts/Temp or deletes any existing files in it. This is where the results from DeShake are temporarily stored before making the archive.

You have to be careful with this one. The DeShake steps aren’t automated. After a video has been processed, press Done and choose "Export to Cloud", then find the iCloud Drive/Shortcuts/Temp folder (fortunately it will remember this for subsequent videos) and tap Add. Tap OK in The Successfully Exported Box. DeShake will return to its media select screen. Close DeShake and reopen the Shortcuts app which should automatically send the next video to DeShake.

When they are all done the archive will be created and from the phone the share menu opened. Choose Airdrop to your iPad. On the iPad you are given a list of apps that can open the archive. Choose LumaFusion and the videos should appear in Imported Files/Airdrop.

Did I say it was complicated? In practice once you've got used to it you get into a routine and get through them quickly. You might wonder why I don't just export each one from DeShake without the Shortcut! The simple reason is that I can preselect all the videos I want and don't have to remember which one to do next. Beware that DeShake can crash if it gets overheated! Make sure that after you have exported that you give it a second to reload its media select screen. Don’t switch back to Shortcuts too quickly.

Hopefully this is helpful but I'm also hopeful that iOS 13 will make this a bit simpler. And if LumaFusion gets stabilising even better. Meanwhile...

PS This is another similar shortcut that I use to get videos from my camera card reader app on the iPad to pass each to DeShake and then to LumaFusion. I use my old camera only occasionally when I need a long zoom. Since I hate tripods they are always shaky but DeShake does a good job with them usually.
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/33bf70 ... 1c24a97787

And finally (!) one that shares a Live Photo on the phone from the MotionStills stabilising app and then to iPad. These are exported one at a time because MotionStills isn’t friends with Shortcuts. Embarrassing to use a Google app because nothing else stabiles Live Photos as well. I often do Live Photos simply because they are quick to take when travelling.
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/23ae4e ... 5d91f8764b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:41 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good detailed answer Mark NZ....that’s why I “targeted” you.
I usually shot on a GH5, 4K, though output in 1080p as my stuff will be destined only for YouTube etc. 4K editing is for cropping without artifacts (upsample to downsample).
I edit in Lumafusion , export at 1080 to my photos app then usually airdrop a copy to my phone to watch it a million times over the next few days to see where I could have righted edits up etc. I much prefer the simplicity of working in Lumafusion but I know I’m going to need FCP to do fancier stuff, use plugins, speed ramp etc.
So, I guess I’m a bit A.D.D. and it’s always more fun to jump in and start another project rather than clean up behind me. Plus, while I think the last project I did is always the best video anybody ever made I know in a couple of weeks I will be embarrassed with it and will probably want to come back and tighten it up.
I need to learn to be a bit more like you and not be a hoarder I guess and put some time into cleaning out my closet and figuring out how to do that and what files might be left behind hidden and still taking up space.
Cheers bro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:49 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey Mark, when you say “archive” does that mean you are archiving a finished project or can you actually archive an unfinished project to come back to later?
Re iCloud - I don’t use it but I will start again and purchase more gigs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:52 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Toxotis - very simple if I understand you right - Airdrop (google it) from device to device, fast, simple and apparently no loss in quality.