Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:08 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:04 am 
Novice
Novice

Hello,

I'm a little confused as to whats the best way to proceed with framerates in Luma. So, if I shot video at 60 fps in Filmic pro in order to get more versatility in post, should my project framerate setting in Luma be at 60 fps or 24 fps or 30 fps or does it matter if Im going to be changing the speed on certain clips? Also, does it just override everything based on what you later change it to in the render settings- regardless of what was chosen in the project settings?

Thanks for your help!

ES

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:43 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi esp24u

I'm no expert... a Grand Master (apparently) ... but no expert

But

This is what I've learn't over time

Keep things simple for you and the software

So render at the same fps as your original if you can

If you shoot at one speed and render at another (something I used to do a lot when I was learning) eg For some reason unknown to me I used to shoot the video with my drone at 30fps and render at 24fps because I had been told that 24fps was more 'cinematic'. Well it worked .. but it produced what I call Jerkyvision and that is because 24 into 30 doesn't go and if you're going to be slowing down/speeding up clips it's even more visible

So if you shoot at 60 then you've got 50% speed which gives a whole number, if you shoot at 60 and render at 30 that gives a whole number so no Jerkyvision

Does that make any sense?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

Cool, thanks for the info. OK, so then, say I want to get that 24 fps cinematic look, then should I shoot at 24 in filmic too and just keep everything at 24 in project settings and final rendering?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:44 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

That’s the way I’d do it, but like I said, I’m no expert and happy to hear from ‘the professionals’ ;)

Edit: ‘The Professionals’ helped

https://youtu.be/6ULC8TyWIfk

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:37 am 
Novice
Novice

OK, thanks for you help. Let's see if anyone else has other ideas. What you're saying makes sense, except I've heard so many people in youtube videos on the subject say that they shoot in higher frame rates in order to get a better final 24 fps cinematic look. So, I'm not sure what that's all about.

THanks

ES

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:11 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mixing frame rates...

https://youtu.be/qAVfIQ2G7Io

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:57 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks Rene

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:20 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for all your help

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

No expert here neither, but this is what I think I know....”cinematic” means a whole lot of things, but what you are getting at is the 24fps part. Apparently 24 FPS is what our eyes are used to seeing in films so the general guideline is to shoot in 24 and drop into a 24fps timeline and this will give the best look unless.....you want to slow some of that footage down in post - you can’t without getting a lot of stutter. The proper way to go is shoot in 24 FPS and if you know you will want to slow some footage down during the shoot then shoot that footage in 48 or 50 - this will let you slow things down to 50% without the stutter.

I shoot in 60 FPS which is fine, but some people think it’s too “clean” and perfect like in a reality tv show or something obviously shot in video on tv. The nice thing about this is I don’t need to think about what parts I might slow down in post since I can slow anything down to half the 60p that I shot in and get nice slo-mo.
The 24p thing is an aesthetic to look more like film I guess as opposed to looking like “video”. However, I have thrown on a LUT out of Lumafusion on my footage and worked it a bit and I personally think I ended up with a very “film” like video.
I’m still struggling with all of this too and I may not be completely correct, but for the most part I think the info I gave you is good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:36 pm 
Novice
Novice

Just to add to my reply after reading your post again....the reason people shoot at higher frame rates is generally to get slow motion - 60fps will give you slow motion and 120fps will give you very slow motion.