Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:31 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.1.1 is now available in the App Store

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:38 am 

I've noticed that when I make a clip and put it in my timeline I sometimes get a "pop" or "click" sound at the very beginning of the clip. The only way for me to get around it is to do a very short/fast cross-dissolve fade in. Anyone else have experience with this? Makes me not want to use the app as fast cuts are almost impossible to do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Does this help?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6884&p=20762&hilit=pops#p20762

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:02 pm 
Adept
Adept

That’s a good work-around, but it’s a bug that’s been around for quite a long time and should be fixed!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Does it still happen for you Vidiot?

What version of the app are you using?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:26 pm 
Expert
Expert

Looks like v2 hasn’t fixed this :cry: Trimming the clips doesn’t help but a short fade transition does

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:52 pm 
Novice
Novice

My two cents...

When I lived in California, I paid a sackload of cash to take a one-on-one course with a famous sound engineer (he does all the music for Disney, and a few other biggies).

It was seriously mind-numbing, but one thing I did learn was how to properly slice audio so there is no pop sound. Basically, you have to identify the tiny point on the timeline where the sine wave goes to zero. If you have a stereo track, it's a little harder but still doable since you have to find the spot where the sine wave hits zero on both channels. BTW, by Zero I mean the horizontal center line that the sine wave goes above and below to produce sound.

I do an enormous amount of slicing within LF mostly because of video clip time constraints, plus I haven't had much luck with the feature that maintains the pitch when speeding up or slowing down a track. So, I just let the track change its pitch, and enable the Pitch Audio effect, and adjust it by ear -- yet another thing I learned over the years.

Regardless, LF can't zoom in enough to see individual sine waves, so I often run upstairs to my big iMac and do the editing with my favorite DAW. However, there are also a great many cases where I can successfully slice audio, especially if my video FPS is at least 60, and I have a better chance of finding a quiet spot on the track.

Another trick I use is to make sure that the slice happens when another audio track is making a sufficiently loud noise (like a drum hit) to mask the pop.

Lastly, don't forget that you can use Ducking by assigning the other track that needs to be heard as Master, and the split track as Auto, and this would naturally handle the volume edits for you.

Cheers,
Tony G.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:22 am 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
My two cents...

When I lived in California, I paid a sackload of cash to take a one-on-one course with a famous sound engineer (he does all the music for Disney, and a few other biggies).

It was seriously mind-numbing, but one thing I did learn was how to properly slice audio so there is no pop sound. Basically, you have to identify the tiny point on the timeline where the sine wave goes to zero. If you
have a stereo track, it's a little harder but still doable since you have to find the spot where the sine wave hits zero on both channels. BTW, by Zero I mean the horizontal center line that the sine wave goes above and below to produce sound.

Cheers,
Tony G.
Good info, but poor “finding zero point” editing is not the problem we are facing here. The problem is the worst with key framed audio. Let’s say you are cutting in an interview and you want the words to start at a given point in the dialog, but you want to fade the video in leading up to that point. You go into the audio and you keyframe the audio so that it begins with silence, then comes in at a specific word. Now you put that clip on the timeline behind another clip with or without a transition. What you’ll often get is a momentary blip of full audio right at the beginning of the added clip where the audio plays full on right before the keyframe kicks in and mutes it. It’s easy to fix. You just separate the audio and move it to a different track, but we shouldn’t have to.

This was a bigger deal with the previous version of Luma Fusion because it didn’t have proper J-cut editing and you had to do this type of edit with key-framing the audio. It still is frustrating though and should be fixed. This particular bug has seemed to survive all the revisions and has been here a long time.

One added point is that LumaFusion will only let you cut audio on the exact video frame points, so it doesn’t really have the audio cutting precision one would need to cut on the zero points. 24 or 30 frames per second may be all right for video, but those are pretty big jumps in audio.